• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

please help me understand what the crap is going on? (wastegates) : Resolved!!!

Started by TopherSho, January 28, 2018, 12:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

Quote from: TopherSho on January 31, 2018, 12:30:47 AM
F$%k it.. I'm going to get a partial log right now,  it's easy to reproduce at mostly legal speeds for 2nd gear.   

3rd would be better and it would be in range of the issue longer but its to dark. well do that tomorrow.

If you wait a minute I'll rebuild the file and make it a fresh copy for shits and giggles.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

TopherSho

To late.  i was out the door already :P

it had 3-4 VERY HARD stutters in third about 3/4 through the gear. I saw the RPM needle actually 'tick' back.   But do not see it in the log.

It did not hammer over and over like it did right after Pizaa... :P  i did not have the laptop hooked up so i wanted to keep the log i captured with hard stutters it did do.

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

TopherSho

I don't see anything in the log with my amateur eyeballs.  but again it wasn't hammering like it did a couple hours ago.  ... 

I was actually going to suggest we port the tunes by hand,  and create from scratch copies now that my handheld is updated.  But I REALLY want to get the data before I apply anything.  so build away,  but i may not apply it right away.

So here is a question,  i have backups of the stock tune from the SCT handheld.  Reverting to stock after the update did 'something' to temp fix it... if the tuner did go off the deep end do we trust the on-SCT device copy of the stock firmware?  Or should i see about getting SCT support to restore the backup i have to the device so i can flash back to a known good stock firmware?

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

SHOdded

Seems more a PCM issue than SCT, like the adaptives have kicked in ...  Can anybody lend an uptodate X4 for comparative purposes?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on January 31, 2018, 05:27:40 AM
Seems more a PCM issue than SCT, like the adaptives have kicked in ...  Can anybody lend an uptodate X4 for comparative purposes?

I don't have a problem lending my X4 but I strongly doubt that the hand held is the issue..

I would start looking at recording transmission PIDS. It's sounds like perhaps the adaptives are causing problems in how the transmission is behaving...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TopherSho

Quote from: stealbluesho on January 31, 2018, 06:52:00 AM

I don't have a problem lending my X4 but I strongly doubt that the hand held is the issue..

I would start looking at recording transmission PIDS. It's sounds like perhaps the adaptives are causing problems in how the transmission is behaving...

Adaptives?   i have not done any research diligence into this.  Give me a short run-down?

TopherSho

derfdog15

Take a look at this thread, I had to do this 2? times with my SHO cause it got wonky idling and was shifting weird after bad flashes.

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=2217.0

Hopefully that helps. The adaptive reset process is pretty simple.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

AJP turbo

Quote from: stealbluesho on January 31, 2018, 06:52:00 AM
Seems more a PCM issue than SCT, like the adaptives have kicked in ...  ?

Mostly the adaptives in the trans settings are to help the PCM achieve the proper pressure for the desired slip times for the shifts...There really isn't anything that would "fight" the tune or make something revert back after a flash...The biggest things that are affected by adaptives is fuel corrections.

There is something esle odd and not sure if it's related but when you are spooling up in 1st gear your desired TIP and wastegate duty is really choppy. The RPM line in 1st and 2nd gear is pretty smooth but when you settle into 3rd gear the RPM gets choppy...Not sure if that's because you are sweeping through the revs slower and resolution is better.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

TopherSho

(page 340 for my 2010) which states:

After a battery disconnect, the car must relearn idle and trim settings.

Start the car and let it come up to operating temp.
Turn on the A/C and let it idle for 1 min.
With the A/C on disengage the parking brake, place your foot on the brake and shift to drive, let it idle for 1 min.
Then drive the car over 10 miles.

Ok I did a KAM reset but did not do any of the specific steps.  I warmed it up, pulled the cable for 30 minutes and just drove nice.

I will do the needful on these extra steps.

@Brad,  on the rpm jitters.  that may be the closest were going to get to it logging the fluttering.  Fluttering is what it does around 4000+,  the more you push it hard in 3rd the flutter then gives way to outright stutters loss of power and stalling.

SHOdded

Wait, does the tach flutter on cruise with steady load?  That is usually a torque converter symptom.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

I did it *one* time last night,  and AJP just advised my log showed my converter speed being jittery.

based on that and your comment,  I am going to spin up a new config file that gathers more tranny pids,  and keep gear, cam, load, throttle actual angle, rpm, oar, knock, misfire, sparkv2, bootskpa, boost-dsd, TQ src, wastegate % and add on MiL, DTC counter in addition to some other trans data points.

Quote""Your torque converter speed ratio is all choppy to in the log during the 3rd gear...That's making me wonder if the converter is making the rpm choppy.""

what i need is new logging parameters with the issue going hard .. have not been able to nail it yet

TopherSho

StealBlueSho

Quote from: TopherSho on January 31, 2018, 11:12:27 AM
? Are we thinking bad TQ converter ?

Would make sense... it started after the track right? When you launch from a dig your loading up that converter before moving... that's a lot of stress.

Curious, what RPM where you launching from?

Only question is why does it not happen after a fresh flash? Only after a while?

When's the last time you had a fluid flush for your transmission?

TopherSho

Quote from: stealbluesho on January 31, 2018, 11:23:33 AM
Quote from: TopherSho on January 31, 2018, 11:12:27 AM
? Are we thinking bad TQ converter ?

Would make sense... it started after the track right? When you launch from a dig your loading up that converter before moving... that's a lot of stress.

Curious, what RPM where you launching from?

Only question is why does it not happen after a fresh flash? Only after a while?

When's the last time you had a fluid flush for your transmission?

in order :
no idea,  i blew up my waste gates .. kinda over lapping behaviors
2200 on average and lower
I bet it is because one of the flashes coincided with me accidentally clearing the pcm when i pulled ALL the BCB fuses to scrape them shiny.