• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Crossing fingers. Car in the shop for parts swapping..

Started by TopherSho, November 13, 2017, 12:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

Update:  Bad start switch thingy.    Ford is replacing the entire Button-to-control module for the PTS.  scary part... the assembly is in back order.  since June 2017 0_0 ?

so were stealing another dealerships parts.  also getting a quote to replace the turbo... Massive pain and cost incoming.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Well in for a penny in for a pound.  Just ordered 2550$ (labor included) 2 full turbo replacements. 

sigh... 

@AJP,  I think i'm going to ask you for a copy of my last tune (with meth) with TQ management for the 1-2 shift.  I wonder if i tore up my wastegate diaphragm with the hard 1-2 shifts and all that wheel hop and shuddering.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

SHOdded

:(  You are going to retain the old turbos, right?  Give a good onceover and stuff to see what might have gone wrong with them?  Sorry it's hitting your pockets so hard ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Do they know exactly what is wrong or are they hanging parts?

AJP turbo

I guess that's not terrible with new turbos and ford doing it...but I fear they are just changing parts even though my best guess is that the wastegate canisters are bad

And Topher I don't think vibration is the main culprit but maybe just the age ? But sure we can look into the tune
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

TopherSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on January 08, 2018, 07:35:45 PM
Do they know exactly what is wrong or are they hanging parts?

It's a educated guess on my part with AJP providing feedback.  It is not speed sensors,  its not the solenoid, its not the connectors, junctions hoses, misfire, knock sensors, or Tq source codes etc..

Couple that with the behavior I'm pretty convinced.  If not ... well I'm going to actually set it on fire because this dealership useless.. and there are no speed shops for 100+ miles that i think can do the job.

SHOdded

... and then it turns out it is the PCM connectors that have corrosion ...

ZSHO

I would say for $2550 can the dealer guarantee any repair with certainty that replacing the turbos will fix your issue! 
Agreed with AJP and playing guessing games by throwing parts @ it will add up to a substantial amount!  Dunno!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

ye-gods i know...  It is a risk but at this point all i have left is totaling it somehow.  Hoping the predictability of the of the boost problem is mechanical as it presents itself.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: TopherSho on January 09, 2018, 05:00:22 PM
ye-gods i know...  It is a risk but at this point all i have left is totaling it somehow.  Hoping the predictability of the of the boost problem is mechanical as it presents itself.
Just for funsies, have you checked your baro pid for accuracy?

That is built into the PCM and if you have a failing sensor or PCM I could see that causing all kinds of hard to diag boost shenanigans

TopherSho

probably not since I have never heard of it before now :help2:   ... how does it work?

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: TopherSho on January 09, 2018, 10:33:22 PM
probably not since I have never heard of it before now :help2:   ... how does it work?
It is your barometric pressure sensor and very important to speed density calcs.

TopherSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on January 09, 2018, 10:35:41 PM
It is your barometric pressure sensor and very important to speed density calcs.

Oh that's the 3bar/MAP.  I have three of them.  still has the same behavior.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: TopherSho on January 09, 2018, 10:52:44 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on January 09, 2018, 10:35:41 PM

Oh that's the 3bar/MAP.  I have three of them.  still has the same behavior.
No, I'm talking about the baro sensor that is mounted to the pcm board.

I double checked and there is a a 3 way correlation check between the sensors at startup and it looks like another 2 way @ 1500 rpm if I'm reading it correctly.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/catalog/motorcraft/OBDSM1001.pdf

Pgs 137, 142

I'd want to make sure its not malfunctioning outside of those conditions.

Just curious, how much is it over boosting?