• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

NEED HELP W/ ball joint removal.

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, October 27, 2017, 02:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

Attempting to install my H&R springs today and can't get the ball joint to separate/come out  of the knuckle assembly.
i'm following the "how to" on the h and r install to the t but the control arm doesn't seem to have any more give to come down out of the knuckle assembly. i've tried  jacking up the rotor/knuckle assembly to allow it room to come down out of the knuckle. almost seems like the bolt on the ball joint is binding up in its hole? idk
anybody have any suggestions?
am i missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

got it. underestimated how much leverage you need to pry down the control arm. mod can delete this post
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

glock-coma

The ball joint swivels, so push it towards the engine bay and you will have more room to pull the control arm down.
It does take some force.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Colorado-SHOBro

yeah i tried to swivel the joint but it was locked in there. finally found a big enough crow bar to give me leverage and broke it loose!

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

Hope the threads on that bolt are intact ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pmezo33

Just remove the whole lower control arm and make your life easy.  No maneuvering required with the whole thing out.

glock-coma

Quote from: SHOdded on October 27, 2017, 04:45:50 PM
Hope the threads on that bolt are intact ...
Steel thread > aluminum knuckle
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

polskifacet

Why are you taking off the ball joint? I did't touch it and was EASILY able to move the hub around as needed?????
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

SHOdded

different suspension setups in 2010-12 from 2013+?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

polskifacet

Quote from: SHOdded on October 27, 2017, 05:45:26 PM
different suspension setups in 2010-12 from 2013+?
I guess, all i did was beat off , i mean out, the spined bolts that hold the shock to the spindle/hub. The rest pretty much fell out after unbolting the shock assembly.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

pmezo33

Quote from: polskifacet on October 27, 2017, 05:44:22 PM
Why are you taking off the ball joint? I did't touch it and was EASILY able to move the hub around as needed?????

2011. You basically have to take out the whole front suspension to get the springs off.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: pmezo33 on October 27, 2017, 05:56:36 PM
Quote from: polskifacet on October 27, 2017, 05:44:22 PM

2011. You basically have to take out the whole front suspension to get the springs off.
^yes this. i got the fronts done. i did think about dropping the whole control arm but figured it would take me just as long as fan dangling the control arm and ball joint around. the passenger side went light years faster than the drivers side i did first. once i knew what needed to happen to get the whole assembly out i just started buzzing off bolts and it was done in no time.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

StealBlueSho

You already figured it out, but yes, a big pry bar will allow you move th control Arm down... PITA... I removed the knuckle as well...

Colorado-SHOBro

yeah i damn near had to stand on the pry bar too. almost made me nervous. can't say this was an easy spring swap. and i'm only half done! 

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|