• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

AJPTurbo Meth Tune Review

Started by StealBlueSho, September 26, 2017, 03:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

So I have been working with AJPTurbo on getting a solid meth tune on my 2010 Non-PP SHO. I have extensively tested his tune and others at my local 1/8 mile track along with a few runs at the 1/4 mile track. Working with AJPTurbo has always been a great experience and this is no different. I have personally worked with 4 different tuners and AJPTurbo provides the most detailed information on what he is changing and why he is changing things. I also can tell you that there is no other SCT tuner with his breadth of knowledge on this platform and ability to make smart changes.  We went through several revisions and several highly experimental revisions with my permission attempting to get some really beneficial changes for us Non-PP folks. AJPTurbo I feel really takes what the ford engineers have done and blends in his own custom sauce in a way that really makes these cars come alive. Add a little meth into the picture he has been able to take it to the next level.

I will say that his process is no different than any other SCT tuner. Base tune, datalog, tune revision.. rinse and repeat. This process is not for everyone but the benefits are there. With some datalogging and working with Brad I have a very low 12 second car if not a tickling 11's with a better tire/wheel setup, good air, and a well prepped track. Hot lapping in 95F degree temps on 20inch wheels on a tune that was just loaded netted me 12.35...  but you have to be willing to work with AJPTurbo on datalogging. Did I mention this is on 93 pump gas and 100% meth injection? No need for race fuel or E blends..

At the track his meth tune cleans house. I have YET to loose to a street car at the track running his tune. At the 1/8 mile track where I have tested extensively it never misses a beat and is EXTREMELY consistent once you figure out how to get it off the line. I can run 7.92 - 7.95 all day long at my local 1/8 mile track while hot lapping or letting it cool. The runs are clean, the datalogs are IMPRESSIVELY smooth, and the car just flat out runs. I dare someone to find a boost curve as smooth as his are.. 

At the 1/4 mile track the few runs I did were just as impressive. In full disclosure I did flash his tune while at the track which is not the best way to really test these tunes out. There are a lot of adaptive's for the transmission and Octane Adjust Ratio on the 2010-2012 cars that get reset when you put a new flash on not to mention all the fuel trims need to be stabilize again. At the 1/4 mile track this tune just kept getting faster every time I ran it. My ambient temps according the logs were sitting at 95F and I still put down a 12.35 which was significantly faster than my other tested tune. The car still ran cool after hammering it as well, maybe a slightly bit warmer than my coolest tune, but still well under what my other tuners do. In short, I can hot lap this car SEVERAL times without needing to worry about temps getting out of hand.

From an in the seat feel I don't have any tune that throws me back into the seat like this one does nor sounds as aggressive as this tune does. I wanted a tune that felt nasty and this one hits all the marks. It really does feel like a twin turbo meth injected beast!

Daily driving this tune is as consistent on the street as on the track. The overall feel is smooth while still maintaining that beastly feel I was looking for. Out of all the tunes I have, AJPTurbo is the tune I use the most, and its my daily driver tune as well as my track tune. His tune is extremely predictable on the street without any hiccups. Back roads, traffic, merging onto highways, the tune just blends right in. After hot lapping his tune at the track, I can turn around and drive it 86 miles home in heavy traffic without a single problem. This is all on 93 pump gas with meth injection, no need to worry about race gas or ethanol mixes so stopping for gas is not an issue.

It's funny because I was initially worried about how hard his tune is on the car because of how nasty the car runs, but after comparing the logs and personal experience between the tuners I have, his tune really does not push this car as hard as other tuners do. LMS always talks about how little boost they use to achieve the results they have, well, Brad doesn't really crank the boost out either to achieve even better results. On my particular meth tune, his demanded boost is not much more than LMS.. it still well within the efficiency of our stock snails. Like I said, one of the key factors I take into account from a wear and tear perspective is how much heat the tune generates. His tunes don't generate much more than the LMS tunes do and far less than the other tuners that have worked on my car. The only reason I am comparing it with LMS is that LMS is the coolest tune I have but Brads tune is not that much different.

End result is that AJPTurbos tune is the fastest tune by a long shot that I have and is very well mannered on the street. This is the tune that I run for a daily driver and at the track. Its a great balance of performance and comfort so you can eat SRT's, BMW, and Coyotes all day long and then take the family on a road trip without worrying about switching tunes.

I cannot speak highly enough of how well designed and thought out my AJPTurbo's meth tune is. If you are looking to get the most of what you have, then AJP is the best your gonna get. After dealing with 4 different tuners trying to get my car where I want it over the past 2 years, I can finally stop looking.

bpd1151

Nice review. Seems Brad has been rather helpful/beneficial to you, albeit in a very personal way/manner. A+++

Why not consider running some VP Racing Fuels MS109 (drain, or run down all of your pump gas entirely) and then with the onset of Fall (cooler) weather, eek out that flat 12, or dare I even say, a tad in the 11.9's run respectively????

Seems like without openly having ever stated it previously, that seems to be kind of like your goal, yes?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Certainly good to have tuning options.  My question would be a) at some point will there be a set and forget tune that can be applied to these cars, no revisions needed, b) will there be a storefront to truly service the public (one man can only do so much) and b) longevity/durability, assuming rigorous maintenance/best fuel/etc.

I do hope that the issue with traction off the line gets figured out, that seems to be really the only thing holding back a faster timeslip.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: bpd1151 on September 26, 2017, 03:22:59 PM
Nice review. Seems Brad has been rather helpful/beneficial to you, albeit in a very personal way/manner. A+++

Why not consider running some VP Racing Fuels MS109 (drain, or run down all of your pump gas entirely) and then with the onset of Fall (cooler) weather, eek out that flat 12, or dare I even say, a tad in the 11.9's run respectively????

Seems like without openly having ever stated it previously, that seems to be kind of like your goal, yes?

Yes, Brad has been helpful and very beneficial to getting my car where I want it.  Not quite sure how to take the "personal way/manner" comment? Maybe a case of not having inflection when it comes to internet posts...

In any event, yes, my goal is to tick off an 11 second 1/4 with a tune that I can run on the street effectively without needing to switch tunes for the track. Even if its an 11.999! I believe this tune has it in it with a better tire/wheel combo with decent air.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on September 26, 2017, 03:49:40 PM
Certainly good to have tuning options.  My question would be a) at some point will there be a set and forget tune that can be applied to these cars, no revisions needed, b) will there be a storefront to truly service the public (one man can only do so much) and b) longevity/durability, assuming rigorous maintenance/best fuel/etc.

I do hope that the issue with traction off the line gets figured out, that seems to be really the only thing holding back a faster timeslip.

I have asked him if there is a business name yet, maybe he will respond. I know the only thing that proves out longevity it time. But he pushes less boost than the other big SCT tuning companies... but there is more to a tune than boost/timing. Compared to the other tuners he doesn't rag out the tunes.

As far as traction of the line, the issue was negated for the most part at Capital Raceway with their track prep. That 12.35 run had ZERO will spin, it hooked an went went I launched at almost exactly at 2K RPMs.. I did lower the tire pressures to 22psi in the front and 25 in the rear.  I usually try to launch around 2200 FWIW.

bpd1151

Lol.

Well I certainly didn't mean personal, as in like Brad yanking your pants off and giving you let's say...... oh idk, like a happy ending hand job. Bwahahahaha.

Correct on the internet and its' lack of inflection.

Anyhow, to clarify, personal attention in that reviewing ALL of your posts overall (not just contained herein, within this thread) that Brad has been attentive of your requests.

Requests in the learning factor. Requests in his applying variations in your tune files,  etc.

Make more sense?

Happy hunting for that 11. It's a VERY SMALL club of those who've done so.

SHOdded

Do you currently have the noisemaker mod installed?  IIRC, you took it off, correct?

If all you have to do is adjust tire pressures at the track, that is one heckuva deal.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: bpd1151 on September 26, 2017, 04:02:19 PM
Lol.

Well I certainly didn't mean personal, as in like Brad yanking your pants off and giving you let's say...... oh idk, like a happy ending hand job. Bwahahahaha.

Correct on the internet and its' lack of inflection.

Anyhow, to clarify, personal attention in that reviewing ALL of your posts overall (not just contained herein, within this thread) that Brad has been attentive of your requests.

Requests in the learning factor. Requests in his applying variations in your tune files,  etc.

Make more sense?

Happy hunting for that 11. It's a VERY SMALL club of those who've done so.

LOL.. if Brad offered happy endings with his tunes.. I dare say his business might explode! (Insert additional puns here)

Yes, that is one of the big reasons why I have stuck with him. But while I would like to think I am unique in that regard, others have had similar experiences. I just hope he doesn't fall of the map one day! He did take on a SHO that NO ONE else has been able to tune with the SCT platform because of the crap strategy it has. Other SCT tuners have commented on the lack tables/pids/etc my strategy has. For that he has my respect. And I have learned a crap ton from him. But again, everyone that works with him learns a lot.

I know its an elusive group but thats part of the challenge no? If it requires upgraded turbo's then that will be next on the list, but I think I can get there without them.

Quote from: SHOdded on September 26, 2017, 04:03:23 PM
Do you currently have the noisemaker mod installed?  IIRC, you took it off, correct?

If all you have to do is adjust tire pressures at the track, that is one heckuva deal.

No, I took the noisemaker off when I was going to sell the car.. I also sold off my tuner as well at the time. The noisemaker mod assisted with fuel pressure issues but with meth its not needed. Although curious where it goes for those who are now spraying meth withe mod.. interested to see how that performs..

At Sumerduck I drop my tires to 20 psi to get traction or I will literally spin all four tires. Being as they are a small mom and pop run track I suspect the track prep is not consistent. However my fastest 1/8 mile time was there which was faster than the 1/8 mile time on that 12.35 run by a bit. I was close to breaking into the 7.8's.. 7.923 IIRC.

Capital was much better prepped so my suspicion of a consistently poorly prepped track is probably correct for Sumerduck.

lamrith

I will concur that Brad really does have awesome customer service and tunes.  He keeps you informed and up to date on what he is seeing from your logs and an idea of how he is adjusting.  Like SBS, that to me is a huge selling point and why he is now my sole tuner at this time. 

SBS, does your tune change how it runs from "D" mode to "S" mode?  That is something I love about my 92Oct AJP tune.  Mellow as a stock tune in D, switch to S and the car literally perks up if you do it while driving.  If cruising and switch RPM will increase a hair, feels like TC locks up a bit, car starts to growl a bit more.  Loaded up and ready to rumble, flick of a toe and she is off to the races.  Little bit of Jekyl and Hyde sort of thing..  Lady on the street, freak in the sheets type of deal.  That is nice so the wife can drive it around (she is always in D) and no concern about the raging beast under the hood.

Ur Killin me SBS!!  Between you and Topher and am regretting selling that Meth kit even though I do not track my car.  I wantses the powah!

'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: lamrith on September 26, 2017, 04:36:43 PM
I will concur that Brad really does have awesome customer service and tunes.  He keeps you informed and up to date on what he is seeing from your logs and an idea of how he is adjusting.  Like SBS, that to me is a huge selling point and why he is now my sole tuner at this time. 

SBS, does your tune change how it runs from "D" mode to "S" mode?  That is something I love about my 92Oct AJP tune.  Mellow as a stock tune in D, switch to S and the car literally perks up if you do it while driving.  If cruising and switch RPM will increase a hair, feels like TC locks up a bit, car starts to growl a bit more.  Loaded up and ready to rumble, flick of a toe and she is off to the races.  Little bit of Jekyl and Hyde sort of thing..  Lady on the street, freak in the sheets type of deal.  That is nice so the wife can drive it around (she is always in D) and no concern about the raging beast under the hood.

Ur Killin me SBS!!  Between you and Topher and am regretting selling that Meth kit even though I do not track my car.  I wantses the powah!

I have a 2010 so I only have M and D... Manual mode acts just like manual mode should... it will hold the gear all the way up to fuel cutoff...

ZSHO

SBS -Exceptional Tune analysis for side by side comparison is more than welcome. Z  :)
I'm assuming Unleashed or BCB is next?

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on September 26, 2017, 04:58:45 PM
SBS -Exceptional Tune analysis for side by side comparison is more than welcome. Z 

I suppose I can do an Unleashed review.. it will be short. And BCB is having a hard time with my strategy... but in their defense I was upfront with my strategy and they said that they had never dealt with it before but would give it a try...

To keep it short, neither of the aforementioned tuners have been able to get a solid tune on my car to date. It would be an unfair review IMHO. With so many successful customers it wouldn't be right for me to write a review because my strategy sucks and they struggled with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TopherSho

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 26, 2017, 06:34:49 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on September 26, 2017, 04:58:45 PM
SBS -Exceptional Tune analysis for side by side comparison is more than welcome. Z 

I suppose I can do an Unleashed review.. it will be short. And BCB is having a hard time with my strategy... but in their defense I was upfront with my strategy and they said that they had never dealt with it before but would give it a try...

To keep it short, neither of the aforementioned tuners have been able to get a solid tune on my car to date. It would be an unfair review IMHO. With so many successful customers it wouldn't be right for me to write a review because my strategy sucks and they struggled with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your strategy if i may ask?  I had no issues with Torrie on my 1st strategy .. and then I had to update and then Torrie literally s*** the bed on my car tune.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Brucelinc

Good reviews, SBS!   I envy you having choices!  I appreciate Brad developing tunes for me when no one else would.  I do hope at some point the other tuners develop tunes for the 3.0.  Competition can lead to improvements in everyone's tunes and increases tuner's knowledge of the platform.    I think that is one of the reasons we are now seeing more low 12 second SHOs.  Those numbers were very rare just a few years ago.

Agentlongwood

How does the strategy code affect whether the car can be tuned or not?  I always thought it was like a serial number.  Do different strategy codes have sensors/parameters/etc or something, even on the same model vehicle?
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes