• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

My AJP Meth experience

Started by TopherSho, August 08, 2017, 01:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

Quote from: lamrith on September 06, 2017, 03:24:00 PM
Quote from: TopherSho on September 06, 2017, 01:55:43 PM
cool,  so far I do not have traction issues except for shifting.
You breaking loose on shifts now?

I was before when the IAT2 was @ or under 100f.  now it just does it all day long on a WoT in 1st to 2nd.  to be more detailed this is not a 'spin' or burnout in 2nd though, more a quick front driver hop-hop-hop and it regains full traction.  the rears never skip/hop.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

TopherSho

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 06, 2017, 05:22:31 PM
Quote from: DerricksSho on September 06, 2017, 03:53:29 PM
Quote from: TopherSho on September 05, 2017, 11:36:26 PM
Quote from: DerricksSho on September 05, 2017, 10:21:56 PM
Ive been debating on using meth for a while what kit did you use and have you thought about dual injectors or direct injection or is your setup what most are running thanks?

Snow's stage 1 kit
it is not a progressive kit,  it just spews 100% as soon as it is enabled.  single nozzle of 375ml about 5 inches from the throttleblade in the hot-pipe!

Thanks.. Brad (AJP) will more than likely be next in long line of tuners to tune my SHO.
The thought of Meth is really starting to sound nice coupled with E-85 how well does it work?

I threw a little E85 into my LMS meth tune as it tends to produce a small amount of knock retard deep into third once in awhile (like +1 at most) and it staves it off. Hawkeye has an E30/meth tune from BCB...

It's pretty common place to throw E in with meth. I  suspect it works well.

Me personally don't want to need to rely on 3 types of fuel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am already annoyed at the 3-quart tank in the snow kit.  a third fuel type would make me cranky!
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

TopherSho

Quote from: DerricksSho on September 06, 2017, 03:53:29 PM
Quote from: TopherSho on September 05, 2017, 11:36:26 PM
Quote from: DerricksSho on September 05, 2017, 10:21:56 PM
Ive been debating on using meth for a while what kit did you use and have you thought about dual injectors or direct injection or is your setup what most are running thanks?

Snow's stage 1 kit
it is not a progressive kit,  it just spews 100% as soon as it is enabled.  single nozzle of 375ml about 5 inches from the throttleblade in the hot-pipe!

Thanks.. Brad (AJP) will more than likely be next in long line of tuners to tune my SHO.
The thought of Meth is really starting to sound nice coupled with E-85 how well does it work?

If you mean meth tune on top of a E-tune it is a world of awesome. 

You will get the best of both worlds.  Fast high spark launch (which i do not get on pump-92) and then a bunch more spark like 750MS later ..

Your 0-60ft will improve slightly and then you will gain all the TQ from the extra points of spark the meth will provide + cold IAT2 temps to keep your ECU out of the spark penalty box all the way through the run.

TopherSho

Update:  a minor hiccup in my meth experience i wanted to share because someone else will see it eventually, and i like to overshare stuff :P

Disclaimer! : Up front .. I am not even close to thinking this is a tune issue.  So I had a bit of a conundrum about posting it in this thread.  But posting a new thread seemed spammy.. so I will post it here.

What I am noticing recently is after the car sits for 8+ hours.. there is a meth hiccup under sustained load for the first few meth-pushes (IE i call a meth push a short burst of meth.. say 0-60 where the meth is on for like 3 seconds.).   

I reproduced it in In a 3rd gear sweep and logged it.  I feel the car is not pushing full spark and it feel sluggish until about 4000rpm  and then there is power fluctuation (like a stutter.. but it is NOT a stutter), then it goes full spark and jumps in massive power. 

if i do a back to back 3rd gear sweeps THE SECOND PASS does not do the same thing and it feels stupid powerful from the start.

i logged and attached it.

now my theory is this:
--I do not have a check valve and it is getting air pushed into the line, and I am getting air bubbles on the first few pushes until the line is purged.  this disrupts the meth, etc.    this makes the most sense.  the line is subjected to 5=6 pounds of boost all the time and no meth flow is occurring.  in my head over time the crack-pressure rating on the pump itself is not going to prevent air from pushing into the line.   i plan on testing this eventfully by draining the meth and running water through with the collar outside the vehicle

--i have a nozzle issue.. maybe.. but to me it would happen all the time.  but if i do it will be evident in the external test

--bad meth,  i had a batch go bad.  i somehow contaminated the VPdrum. i have been adding HEET to try to not waste what i had. i now have a full new drum and will see if new meth helps.  maybe the bad meth was separating ?

anyhoo.  sharing is caring.. someone might run into it ...

TopherSho

Quote from: TopherSho on September 15, 2017, 11:58:43 AM
Update:  a minor hiccup in my meth experience i wanted to share because someone else will see it eventually, and i like to overshare stuff :P

Disclaimer! : Up front .. I am not even close to thinking this is a tune issue.  So I had a bit of a conundrum about posting it in this thread.  But posting a new thread seemed spammy.. so I will post it here.

What I am noticing recently is after the car sits for 8+ hours.. there is a meth hiccup under sustained load for the first few meth-pushes (IE i call a meth push a short burst of meth.. say 0-60 where the meth is on for like 3 seconds.).   

I reproduced it in In a 3rd gear sweep and logged it.  I feel the car is not pushing full spark and it feel sluggish until about 4000rpm  and then there is power fluctuation (like a stutter.. but it is NOT a stutter), then it goes full spark and jumps in massive power. 

if i do a back to back 3rd gear sweeps THE SECOND PASS does not do the same thing and it feels stupid powerful from the start.

i logged and attached it.

now my theory is this:
--I do not have a check valve and it is getting air pushed into the line, and I am getting air bubbles on the first few pushes until the line is purged.  this disrupts the meth, etc.    this makes the most sense.  the line is subjected to 5=6 pounds of boost all the time and no meth flow is occurring.  in my head over time the crack-pressure rating on the pump itself is not going to prevent air from pushing into the line.   i plan on testing this eventfully by draining the meth and running water through with the collar outside the vehicle

--i have a nozzle issue.. maybe.. but to me it would happen all the time.  but if i do it will be evident in the external test

--bad meth,  i had a batch go bad.  i somehow contaminated the VPdrum. i have been adding HEET to try to not waste what i had. i now have a full new drum and will see if new meth helps.  maybe the bad meth was separating ?

anyhoo.  sharing is caring.. someone might run into it ...

additional note.  in the log.. the 3rd pull is the most clear and evident.  you can see the STFT drop BEFORE the shelf of TQ and Timing hits all at once.  so it was pushing meth, but not liking it or there was a flow issue (air?)..

StealBlueSho

Agree... the first two pulls look OK.. the first one you picked up +3.5 KR initially so depending on how aggressive Brad has your tune pulling spark based on KR that could be the reason it felt off the first time? The second time everything looks fairly normal. The third pull I see what you mean.. its like the juice wasn't spraying initially.. but it would be interesting since you were just spraying a few moments before? I dunno..

I usually don't do my third gear pulls that low in the RPM band.. usually I start around 3500rpms so unfortunately I am not sure what spark is supposed to look like that low with the pedal requesting max torque.

What PSI do you have your meth kicking on at?

I agree.. something funky..

EDIT: Attached are a couple older 3rd gear pull where I started low... something to compare with..

TopherSho

I'm on the adjustable pressure trigger not a digital trigger.  So I have no actual idea.  I just set it so that I don't spray meth on normal driving unless i push past say 30% pedal.

if i guessed it turns on around 6-pounds based on feedback from SNOW support techs. 

It was operating normally prior to vacation,  then after i noted the behavior.

I am going to the drags tonight at PIR,  I will keep a eye on it but I expect to to behave.  After the drags I will be off mixing and on pure meth.

so test #1 will be to see if the issue persists with pure meth
test #2 will be to put water in the tank and flush it all and then let it sit and pull the collar and jump the switch and see if i see spurts that resolved after a few seconds.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: TopherSho on September 15, 2017, 01:47:59 PM
I'm on the adjustable pressure trigger not a digital trigger.  So I have no actual idea.  I just set it so that I don't spray meth on normal driving unless i push past say 30% pedal.

if i guessed it turns on around 6-pounds based on feedback from SNOW support techs. 

It was operating normally prior to vacation,  then after i noted the behavior.

I am going to the drags tonight at PIR,  I will keep a eye on it but I expect to to behave.  After the drags I will be off mixing and on pure meth.

so test #1 will be to see if the issue persists with pure meth
test #2 will be to put water in the tank and flush it all and then let it sit and pull the collar and jump the switch and see if i see spurts that resolved after a few seconds.

Good luck at the drags! BTW... looking at your IATs and STFT it appears that your widebands start picking up the extra fuel at 8.2PSI.. so you are probably starting you spray around 7 or so.. pretty close.. It takes a second for everything in the ECU to start picking up the changes.

TopherSho

Understood.  thank you!

I am excited.  this will be a 12's night for sure.  keeping my fingers crossed for GOOD 12's though :P,  my 60ft is not very likely to go down much so it is going to come down to how much power i put down past 2nd gear. 

TopherSho

I got a 12 6 9 my 60-foot is still really crappy so I just drop the tire pressure to 30 lb and we'll see what happens now

StealBlueSho

You spinning much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TopherSho

TopherSho

So here's the pic,. Meth dropped me over .6 (600ms) seconds from a average of 13.1/13.2 to 12.61.   if I can get my launch better 12.5x should be doable.

Notes::
--Traction is becoming a issue now. Launch is fine but 1-2 is brutal.

--Running back to back made the tranny MAD!
--I need new pads, after 4 back to back runs the brakes were smoking
--i ran 11x a d used 1.5 quarts of pure meth
--airing Down to 30 pounds made .05 better times

Log of first two runs below (not the best runs)

the rest of the runs were creepy constant.  12.7x ALL night long :)  until the tranny was to warm.  then i netted 2 12.9s and had dinner and let it cool ..

DA was 290 so it was a wash. 

ZSHO

Congrats and Nice runs there TropherSho!! I found the sweet spot @ 24f-26r psi.
I used roughly a quart of Meth on 3 runs compared to your x11 runs, Dunno. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

I tried 25 pounds it got 'wierd' .. as in i was pretty sure i spun the tire in the rim..  rpms went up, the rear lurched.. but i really did not launch.  i let off a super tiny bit and the front grabbed and snapped my head back.

i went back to 30 pounds after that.