• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Hybrid trunk-mounted meth system

Started by hawkeye93, February 02, 2017, 04:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkeye93

I really like Alky Control's meth system, and I liked how bpd1151 installed his system, but there were also a few things I don't like about the Alky/Livernois meth setup. So I decided to install a hybrid system, with parts from several different vendors.  I followed a lot of bpd1151's installation writeup, including the PAC & gain controller placement, firewall hole, etc.

1. I didn't want to use the windshield washer reservoir for my meth tank. Also, since I have a PP, I don't have a spare tire, so there's all this room in the trunk just waiting to be utilized.  Plus, by mounting in the trunk, the pump isn't exposed to the Minnesota elements.
2. I like the Devils Own nozzles and fittings; Alky uses industrial stuff from McMaster-Carr.  DO makes quality stuff.
3. The 3 gallon universal tank from Prometh (formerly Alcohol Injection Systems) is really cool.  It has a built-in sump, available level sensor, and a racing-style fill cap.  And the pump mounts right underneath it (fits Shurflo or Aquatec pumps).

Parts list:

Alky Control
Pump
Controller

ProMeth
Tank

Devils Own
Check valve
Bulkhead fitting
Bulkhead nut
Outlet fitting
DO10 nozzle
Nozzle holder
Stainless AN tubing

Misc.
Fuse tap
Relay
Hardboard
Fabric
3M 08088 General Purpose Trim Adhesive
7/16 x 3/4 rubber grommet
Variety of wire, screws, etc.

Spare tire well before:

Spare tire well after:

The tank is just a little too tall to allow the OEM spare tire cover, so I'm working on fabricating a larger one out of hardboard & fabric to sit on the slightly higher "lip" in the trunk.

Note: When I drilled the hole for the bulkhead, I didn't realize there was a bracket behind my hole.  I'd suggest drilling at more of an 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock position.

Fuse tap.  I connected the relay (not shown) to fuse 91, which was unused in my car.

Gain controller.  I mounted the PAC in the same spot as bpd1151.  Wiring from PAC to pump is installed in the rocker, along with the wiring for the tank level sensor.

Status LED.  I wanted to mount the status LED where it would be visible while driving.  I didn't use the low level LED from Alky.  Instead, I wired the level sensor from the tank to the windshield washer level sensor.  That way, when either wash fluid or meth gets low, it will trigger the notice on the IP.  If you decide to mount in the defroster grille like I did, be warned: the "sentinel" light sensor in the middle is a real b*tch to reconnect.

Nozzle.  I mounted the nozzle on the underside of the "noisemaker" piece, prior to the throttle body.  There is a small circle of molding flash on the bottom, that's exactly where I drilled. I do plan to cover the stainless tubing in black plastic wire loom.  There is also a DO check valve, 8 inches before the nozzle.

That's it.  Dyno runs to follow...
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

derfdog15

Looks good, though some of us opted to get a full size spare and no longer have the luxury of a spare tire well to play with.

Anyone know if there is room under the rear seats? I think that would be a pretty cool install spot.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

glock-coma

No room under the seats unfortunately. I've had mine apart many times when running audio power wires. 
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

hawkeye93

UPDATE: Unfortunately, the spot I chose to mount the nozzle didn't work out.

Fortunately, I had a contingency plan.

PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

jims2015

Quote from: hawkeye93 on February 02, 2017, 04:16:20 PM

Status LED.  I wanted to mount the status LED where it would be visible while driving.  I didn't use the low level LED from Alky.  Instead, I wired the level sensor from the tank to the windshield washer level sensor.  That way, when either wash fluid or meth gets low, it will trigger the notice on the IP.  If you decide to mount in the defroster grille like I did, be warned: the "sentinel" light sensor in the middle is a real b*tch to reconnect.

Livernois mounted both my low level and status LED's in the speedometer cluster housing. Absolutely perfect for me. Can't miss them.
2015 PP, Thunderstorm DP & CAI. AlkyControl, Livernois dyno tune

2019 Corvette C7 Z51 A8 No mods

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mrhighcaliber

Quote from: hawkeye93 on February 02, 2017, 04:16:20 PM
I really like Alky Control's meth system, and I liked how bpd1151 installed his system, but there were also a few things I don't like about the Alky/Livernois meth setup. So I decided to install a hybrid system, with parts from several different vendors.  I followed a lot of bpd1151's installation writeup, including the PAC & gain controller placement, firewall hole, etc.

1. I didn't want to use the windshield washer reservoir for my meth tank. Also, since I have a PP, I don't have a spare tire, so there's all this room in the trunk just waiting to be utilized.  Plus, by mounting in the trunk, the pump isn't exposed to the Minnesota elements.
2. I like the Devils Own nozzles and fittings; Alky uses industrial stuff from McMaster-Carr.  DO makes quality stuff.
3. The 3 gallon universal tank from Prometh (formerly Alcohol Injection Systems) is really cool.  It has a built-in sump, available level sensor, and a racing-style fill cap.  And the pump mounts right underneath it (fits Shurflo or Aquatec pumps).

Parts list:

Alky Control
Pump
Controller

ProMeth
Tank

Devils Own
Check valve
Bulkhead fitting
Bulkhead nut
Outlet fitting
DO10 nozzle
Nozzle holder
Stainless AN tubing

Misc.
Fuse tap
Relay
Hardboard
Fabric
3M 08088 General Purpose Trim Adhesive
7/16 x 3/4 rubber grommet
Variety of wire, screws, etc.

Spare tire well before:

Spare tire well after:

The tank is just a little too tall to allow the OEM spare tire cover, so I'm working on fabricating a larger one out of hardboard & fabric to sit on the slightly higher "lip" in the trunk.

Note: When I drilled the hole for the bulkhead, I didn't realize there was a bracket behind my hole.  I'd suggest drilling at more of an 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock position.

Fuse tap.  I connected the relay (not shown) to fuse 91, which was unused in my car.

Gain controller.  I mounted the PAC in the same spot as bpd1151.  Wiring from PAC to pump is installed in the rocker, along with the wiring for the tank level sensor.

Nozzle.  I mounted the nozzle on the underside of the "noisemaker" piece, prior to the throttle body.  There is a small circle of molding flash on the bottom, that's exactly where I drilled. I do plan to cover the stainless tubing in black plastic wire loom.  There is also a DO check valve, 8 inches before the nozzle.

That's it.  Dyno runs to follow...
This is very similar to the setup I wish to do. I'm just concerned about lms willing to dynotune for it since technically Its not "thier" lms/alky system. Only difference is that I want to do an intake runner meth nozzle install.

Are you getting your system dyno tuned by Lms? 

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

hawkeye93

As long as you're spending American dollars, I expect they'd tune for you.  I have 91 & 93 WM tunes from LMS, just not dyno tuned.

J-Will

3 gal tank seems like a good size. How much higher than the spare tire is the tank? When you remake the hardboard will there be a bulge?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

hawkeye93

Quote from: J-Will on March 06, 2017, 08:48:28 AM
3 gal tank seems like a good size. How much higher than the spare tire is the tank? When you remake the hardboard will there be a bulge?
With the hardboard base I built for mounting the tank, the top of the tank is about 8.25" from the floor of the spare tire well, which is roughly an inch too tall to use the OEM tire cover.  My plan, which I have not yet finished, is to build a new, larger hardboard cover to sit on the ledge a couple inches higher.  It will sit above the tank, so no bulge.  It might require support in the center to avoid sagging, but I have a plan to add a turnbuckle support to the threaded rod that holds the tire pump.

J-Will

cool.  Excited to see the finished install
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

autobahn terror

Any Picture of the Pump Install? How much of a pain would it be to convert an LMS alky kit already installed to a trunk kit like yours?
2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

hawkeye93

The pump mounts to the underside of the tank.  Here's a picture of the ProMeth tank with pump installed (from the ProMeth site):

As far as repurposing an already-installed Alky kit, it's going to depend on how/where it was installed.  The way I installed mine, the Alky wire length from the PAC to the pump was just about perfect, just a little longer than I needed.  If yours has been cut, that would complicate things a bit.  You'll also need to replace the tubing from the pump to the nozzle; the Alky tubing surely won't be long enough.  I bought the longest AN-4 tubing available from Devil's Own, and it worked out well.  I ran the tubing from the spare tire well through the plastic channel that runs to the front, up into the right side of the engine compartment.  I also bought a short length (8") of AN-4, so I could install a check valve just in front of the nozzle.  You might be able to reuse some of the Alky components for the check valve installation.

jims2015

2015 PP, Thunderstorm DP & CAI. AlkyControl, Livernois dyno tune

2019 Corvette C7 Z51 A8 No mods

autobahn terror

I figured as much with the location of the pump, I was contemplating a low speed pump on the tank to feed the alky pump as already installed, but i think it would be extra complication that is not required. This seems like a good summer project for me one weekend.

As far as the wiring harness, I am not sure, as I did not install the kit myself, my time is very constrained...
2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more