• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

something clicking / clunking in front steering or suspension ??

Started by 68_GT, January 23, 2017, 01:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68_GT

How do I narrow it down ?
Has anyone had issues with sway bar end links, half shaft, wheel bearing ??

Its coming from the passenger side, slight clicking from the right front going over bumps, and while turning.

I'm at 123k miles.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

ZSHO

Have you ever changed your hubs & thrust washer's ? if so changing out your outer tie rods in addition to the hubs,washers will provide a more certain fix and IMHO would do both sides. TSB Below .Z

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8JUL90DXgdiQlZKd29scTd0eUU/view

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

^ solid advice.  I assume the halfshaft recall check has been completed.  Also check the strut/strut mount on that side.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pmezo33

Get under the car with a pry bar and start checking things outs. 

Check the control arm bushings.  There are two bushings on each control arm.  One is replaceable and the other one isn't.  Check for rips in the rubber or any play.

Check the sway bar bushings.  Mine are worn and there's a little clunking under there under bumps.  I'm actually about to replace both of mine in about an hour or two.  Check the end links while you're looking at the sway bushings.

Check the tie rod ends for play. 

Check the struts for oil leaks.

camthman

Quote from: ZSHO on January 23, 2017, 06:49:14 AM
Have you ever changed your hubs & thrust washer's ? if so changing out your outer tie rods in addition to the hubs,washers will provide a more certain fix and IMHO would do both sides. TSB Below .Z

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8JUL90DXgdiQlZKd29scTd0eUU/view

I am actually having similar sounds... Its at full lock turning, I hear clunking as I turn.
2010 SHO - M-design - Unleashed Tuning (Torrie) - PPE (Catless) - 3 Bar - 170 Tstat - NGK 6510 - Dynomax Axelback (3rd cat/Res Removed) X pipe - H&R (sitting in garage waiting...)

Leadfoot

I replaced the sway bar end links last month due to the metallic clicking over bumps. couldn't duplicate the noise driving in circles or side to side. When I jacked up the car and grabbed the end links, moving them up and down I could reproduce the sound on the passenger side, fixed the problem.
2018 Taurus SHO White, non pp (ACC) 20/35% tint, ceramic coating, hot pipes, PPE catted down pipes, GH Auto tune, 170 degree t-Stat. Anthony DiCunzolo gen 2 rear mount.

camthman

Mine sounds almost like there is a flat spot in the tire feeling as you turn. Hope its not catastrophic...
2010 SHO - M-design - Unleashed Tuning (Torrie) - PPE (Catless) - 3 Bar - 170 Tstat - NGK 6510 - Dynomax Axelback (3rd cat/Res Removed) X pipe - H&R (sitting in garage waiting...)

68_GT

I have kinda thought it might be related to the sway bar as my car seems also to lean a little more in curves. Not sure if that would also be that noticeable if the sway bar bushings / end link are worn. Could be worn struts also. My SHO still runs hard so I just want to fix this up and keep on driving her hard :)
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

SHOdded

I can personally vouch for the difference new swaybar end links make leaning into corners.  VERY noticeable.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

camthman

Quote from: SHOdded on January 24, 2017, 10:19:16 PM
I can personally vouch for the difference new swaybar end links make leaning into corners.  VERY noticeable.

link for endlinks?

SHOdded

Stock Endlinks for the Edge, no performance aftermarket stuff :)  In my case, one had broken, the other was on its' way out.

metroplex

My 2014 SHO has 25k miles and I hear a rubber/plastic-like popping noise when turning or moving in a circle at slow speeds in forward and reverse.
Does this sound like CV joints or sway bar end-links? Car feels and handles fine other than the noise. I don't always hear the noise either. It seems the more moisture there is or the colder it is, the more noticeable it is.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

pmezo33

Quote from: metroplex on January 27, 2017, 02:19:45 PM
My 2014 SHO has 25k miles and I hear a rubber/plastic-like popping noise when turning or moving in a circle at slow speeds in forward and reverse.
Does this sound like CV joints or sway bar end-links? Car feels and handles fine other than the noise. I don't always hear the noise either. It seems the more moisture there is or the colder it is, the more noticeable it is.

Get the car off of the ground on jack stands and remove the tires.  Grab the end links and shake them.  If there's play or clicking, replace them.  Also inspect the balls joints on the end links.  I believe there's one on top and one at the bottom of each end link.  Check for rips.

Same goes for the CV joints.  Inspect for leaks or rips in the rubber housing.

In my experience with cars in general, bad ball joints seem to get noisier as the weather gets colder.

metroplex

It also makes the sound when I am turning the wheel all the way left/right while stopped. I've had bad ball joints before and it was a nasty grinding sound. This sounds like a plastic/rubber rubbing sound.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

Scott4957

Just replaced my end links last night due to a noise while going over bumps. I settled on the end link as the issue because of a torn boot on the side that was making the noise. I replaced them with Moog's, big difference and no noise.
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned