• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

something clicking / clunking in front steering or suspension ??

Started by 68_GT, January 23, 2017, 01:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metroplex

Scott, did you hear the noise while turning the steering when stopped?

I looked at the Motorcraft replacement endlinks for my SHO, and the rears look like they already use the THK ball links that Powergrid also uses:
http://www.powergridinc.com/thk.asp

But the stock front endlinks look like the ones that typically leak and fail. I'm thinking about Powergrids but I was wondering if anyone else used them on their SHO? They aren't the cheapest, and I never liked adjusting them all that much on my Cobalt SS Turbo.

Ford uses THK links on some applications, like the front endlinks for the GT500 that are also backwards compatible with all 05-14 S197 Mustangs. I swapped out my Mustang GT's stock fronts for the GT500 links and even Chip from Powergrid said that it would be a noticeable difference.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

Scott4957

Its was mainly slow driving over any degree of bumps. You don't typically get noise from the end links while turning the wheels with the car stopped. I did turn the steering wheel back and forth very quickly while the car was running but stopped with the door open and thought I could hear it, but it could have just been some play in the steering column. You would get the noise from the wheel moving up and down not really side to side.
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

metroplex

I think I snapped the passenger side front link. I posted the pic in your other thread. I also posted some questions about the removal/install process.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

metroplex

Quote from: ZSHO on January 23, 2017, 06:49:14 AM
Have you ever changed your hubs & thrust washer's ? if so changing out your outer tie rods in addition to the hubs,washers will provide a more certain fix and IMHO would do both sides. TSB Below .Z

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8JUL90DXgdiQlZKd29scTd0eUU/view

I installed the Powergrid endlinks and it didn't get rid of the popping noise. It is only coming from the passenger side. I isolated to a sound towards the bottom of the car, it isn't the strut or strut mount.

Do you have more details on the thrust washers needed for the above TSB? My SHO was assembled right after the cut-off for the recall of axles falling out of the transmission/PTU. But this popping/clicking/clunking sound can be heard when quickly jerking the wheel at a full stop, or jerking the steering wheel at low speeds in forward/reverse.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

ZSHO

Quote from: metroplex on April 04, 2017, 08:12:15 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on January 23, 2017, 06:49:14 AM
Have you ever changed your hubs & thrust washer's ? if so changing out your outer tie rods in addition to the hubs,washers will provide a more certain fix and IMHO would do both sides. TSB Below .Z

I installed the Powergrid endlinks and it didn't get rid of the popping noise. It is only coming from the passenger side. I isolated to a sound towards the bottom of the car, it isn't the strut or strut mount.

Do you have more details on the thrust washers needed for the above TSB? My SHO was assembled right after the cut-off for the recall of axles falling out of the transmission/PTU. But this popping/clicking/clunking sound can be heard when quickly jerking the wheel at a full stop, or jerking the steering wheel at low speeds in forward/reverse.
If its a metal clicking/Tinging sound you are hearing you will need to replace the thrust washer's and hubs Aka(wheel bearings)mentioned on TSB referenced above.
Here are some pics followed by part numbers pertaining to your NON-PP SHO,hope this helps any and due LMK.  Z

THRUST WASHER - FORD (BB5Z-7G273-B)
http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-ford/bb5z7g273b

HUBS
http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/taurus/bt4z1104b/2013-year/sho-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/front-suspension-cat/front-suspension-scat/?part_name=front-
[/img]
ftp://! No longer available

I would verify fitment at www.fordparts.com by entering your vin number.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

metroplex

I need to have someone else turn the wheel while I listen more closely, but I'm 99% sure the sound is not from the strut tower or top part. It seems to originate from the lower part of the vehicle.

While the car is parked and engine running, quickly turning the steering wheel left/right will cause a "clunk" sound from the right front wheel. While the car is moving (at under 20 mph), if I make a right turn there will be a metal grinding/groaning sound anytime there is steering input. Throttle input doesn't have an impact on it.

When taking off from a stop, there's no ting/click/pop as long as the wheel is straight.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

metroplex

Is the 2008 similar to the 2013-up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z54PVXuCO6U

It looks like the wheel hub comes right off instead of needing to be pressed on. The FSM also says to remove the tie rod nut, ball joint nub, etc... to get to the thrust washer, but this guy just basically took it off via the wheel hub.

So what is the problem? Did the 2013-up not have a thrust washer?
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

ZSHO

Quote from: metroplex on April 05, 2017, 04:22:45 PM
Is the 2008 similar to the 2013-up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z54PVXuCO6U

It looks like the wheel hub comes right off instead of needing to be pressed on. The FSM also says to remove the tie rod nut, ball joint nub, etc... to get to the thrust washer, but this guy just basically took it off via the wheel hub.

So what is the problem? Did the 2013-up not have a thrust washer?
There is a video i posted above which is in reference to the 13 Taurus/explorer and correct that just the wheel Hub needs to be removed in order to get to the thrust washer.
Its from my understanding that over time the lack of grease and play,wear on the front end causes the washer to make a clicking noise even when sitting down on your vehicle from personal experience.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

metroplex

So we all have the thrust washer pre-installed at the factory and it just wears out? Or are we adding a thrust washer? Is this even something to be concerned about in the long term?

Where is the video you posted?
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

ZSHO

Quote from: metroplex on April 05, 2017, 05:44:58 PM
So we all have the thrust washer pre-installed at the factory and it just wears out? Or are we adding a thrust washer? Is this even something to be concerned about in the long term?

Where is the video you posted?
Correct they all come with a pre-installed washers and wear out over time just like your end links.
The washers are a few bucks a piece and should be okay until summer. Z
ftp://! No longer available

metroplex

12.4 @ 110.9 mph

ZSHO

metroplex

Ok that's definitely not the sound I'm hearing. I stood outside the wheel and had someone turn the steering rapidly, and I heard nothing outside of the car. I think it is just the EPAS motor. Now when the car is moving and I'm turning the wheel, I hear that groaning/rubbing sound, like a plastic/rubber part that "pops" and groans.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

SHOdded

Can you locate it to outside the car vs in the steering column.  At least one reported case of the issue being within the column.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

metroplex

I can 100% confirm it isn't coming from the steering column. When parked, the sound I hear comes from behind/under the firewall/floorboard on the passenger footwell - but is not audible when standing outside the car by the right wheel.

When moving slowly, the sound is coming from the same area but only on the right wheel.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph