• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 XSport Blackstone Oil Analysis - MiWiAu

Started by MiWiAu, January 20, 2017, 09:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

I figured I'd start a thread to track all the oil analysis reports for my 2013 XSport in one place. :)
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

OE Motorcraft 75W-140 Gear Oil
  30,000 mi PTU sample (Post #1)

Amsoil Severe Gear 75W/140
  15,314mi PTU sample attached.

Future PTU analysis reports will be attached to this post.
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 Motor Oil
  5091 mi report attached.
  7514 mi report attached. (continuation from previous 5091 mi sample)
  10383 mi report attached. (continuation from previous 7514 mi sample)
  12007 mi report attached. (continuation from previous 10383 mi sample. Oil/filter changed @ 12,007 mi.)

Future motor oil analysis reports will be attached to this post.
2013 XSport

BlueSHO

Looks good. Might have to send a sample in for my 16 SHO and see how the Pennzoil ultra is holding up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

MiWiAu

Updated post #2 with a 7514 mi sample. This was additional mileage on the prior 5091 mi sample. All looks good so far.

When I pulled the 7514 mi sample, the onboard oil life monitor said 25% life remaining.
2013 XSport

SHOdded

Is the "make up oil" due to pulling the sample?  The 3.5 ecoboost variants seem to deposit more metals in the oil than their NA siblings (double or more).

SERVICE LIFE
• Normal Service – Up to 25,000 miles, 700 hours of operation
or one year, whichever comes first, in personal vehicles not
operating under Severe Service.
• Severe Service – Up to 15,000 miles, 700 hours of operation
or one year, whichever comes first.
Severe Service: Primarily short trips (less than 10 miles [16
km]); turbo/supercharged engines; commercial or fleet vehicles;
excessive idling; first-time use of AMSOIL motor oil in a vehicle
with more than 100,000 miles; frequent towing, hauling, plowing
or driving in dusty conditions.
• Modified engines (non-stock) and those using E85 fuel are
excluded from extended drain recommendations.
• Change at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended drain
interval outside U.S. and Canada.
• AMSOIL Ea® Full-Flow Oil Filters are designed for extended
change intervals. With other brands, do not exceed six months
or 10,000 miles unless longer intervals are recommended by
the vehicle manufacturer.
• Check oil regularly to maintain proper fill levels.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on March 16, 2017, 11:56:11 PM
Is the "make up oil" due to pulling the sample?

Yes, I'm not burning or leaking any oil otherwise other than some minor collections in my OCC. I should also mention I've not changed the MC oil filter either. It also has 7500 mi on it.

To collect the sample, I'm using an electric oil extractor through the dipstick tube. I pump out 8-9 oz to eliminate residual oil in the pump/lines and prevent contamination of my new sample, then fill the 3oz sample bottle.

If the oil holds up (it should based on their advertised service life), I'd like to go up to 15k between changes and do one big annual service of oil, PTU, and trans (drain and fill), with an oil filter change at 7,500 mi for good measure (although, I'm not planning to change the oil filter for this first long term sample run).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

66 Galaxie

Good to see the low fuel% number since DI engines are more prone to fuel in the oil.

What type of driving, guest, city or?
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

MiWiAu

Quote from: 66 Galaxie on March 17, 2017, 07:55:36 AM
Good to see the low fuel% number since DI engines are more prone to fuel in the oil.

What type of driving, guest, city or?

I have an OCC as well, and I wonder if that helps capture some residual fuel. When I drain it (usually every 1000 mi), it has a slight fuel smell.

Pretty wide mix of driving. On average, I'd say probably about  65% city/stop and go, 35% highway/interstate. I live 20 mins from just about anywhere, so the engine is nearly always warmed up and run at operating temps for 10-15 mins before shutting it off. On this oil, I've also done all my tuning with AJP (three different octane levels and the boost regulator) and three full days of autocross, so it's certainly no stranger to A LOT of WOT. :)

My wife also liked to let it idle a lot over winter to warm up (remote start), which isn't the greatest.
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Attached 10,383 mi sample to Reply#2 above.

Based on this latest report, I'm going to do an oil change at 12,000mi and send in for one final analysis on this oil. After this, future OCI will be 10,000 miles.
2013 XSport

SHOdded

Generally agree with Blackstone's analysis, except I am more concerned about the iron wear than they are.  Compare to Mark's result on his SHO with 5W20 at about 10K miles.  Granted, you likely drive the X harder than he drives his SHO.  Still a big gap.  Anyway, looking forward to the 12K report, and thanks for continuing along this path!

Oh, and if you can also grab the TAN at 12K ... :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on May 21, 2017, 12:54:06 PM
Generally agree with Blackstone's analysis, except I am more concerned about the iron wear than they are.  Compare to Mark's result on his SHO with 5W20 at about 10K miles.  Granted, you likely drive the X harder than he drives his SHO.  Still a big gap.  Anyway, looking forward to the 12K report, and thanks for continuing along this path!

Oh, and if you can also grab the TAN at 12K ... :D

Yeah, his 9100 sample iron levels were closer (just a hair over) my 7500 mi sample. I imagine the more iron in the oil, the faster it accumulates as well due to accelerated wear. I plotted some of these numbers (in true nerd fashion), and it's definitely not a linear trend.

Thinking back, compared to how I "normally" drive my vehicles, the oil sample I'm running now has been through quite a bit: 3 different tunes and all corresponding revisions with AJP (87, 91, 93), boost regulator tuning (which took a long time to sort on my setup), 3 full days of autocross, nearly 30 dyno pulls, a full Wisconsin winter, and my "lead foot". ;)

I'll get the TAN in addition to TBN on the 12k sample. I'm planning to switch to Amsoil SS 0W-30 on my next change and run that out to ~10k.

2013 XSport

Macgyver

I dont care what the analysis says. My oil is getting changed at 3500 to 4000 max. Its the only way to be sure.......And it doesnt cost that much.

MiWiAu

Quote from: Macgyver on May 22, 2017, 08:16:44 PM
I dont care what the analysis says. My oil is getting changed at 3500 to 4000 max. Its the only way to be sure.......And it doesnt cost that much.

Cool like Fonzie, man. To each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Added a 15k PTU sample report to Reply #1 and a 12k motor oil sample report to Reply #2.
2013 XSport