• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 XSport Blackstone Oil Analysis - MiWiAu

Started by MiWiAu, January 20, 2017, 09:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Iron wear seems to be the overwhelming challenge, whether in the engine or the PTU.  Definitely 7500 mi on oil change seems to be a good interval, PTU ... IDK.  where is all that iron coming from?  Maybe talk to Amsoil see if they have insight to share.

Below is a 2014 Ford Edge AWD PTU on OEM fluid, 22K miles on the Edge/Unit
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on June 27, 2017, 09:49:41 PM
where is all that iron coming from?  Maybe talk to Amsoil see if they have insight to share.

Yeah, good question, especially since the other wear metals seem so much lower (at least on the last PTU sample). I'll shoot the reports to Amsoil and see if they give any feedback. Have you heard of them providing insights into others' reports in the past?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

Macgyver

I mean most here are modding their cars and Spending XXX and then want to cheap out on a oil change. Stikes me funny. And its not because they spend XXX that they have to change to the oil less.

It is really quite simple. No matter what our oils can do. Todays filters cannot filter out the crap thats accumulates over long OCI. Blackstone results prove this.

One thing you are not looking at is the Viscosity change over time. 3500 mile oil flowing compared to 10,000 pr 12,000 mile oil at -20 deg or how it will hold up to extreme heat. Analysis is one thing. Real world performance is another.

Laugh all you want Fonzarino.

MiWiAu

Quote from: Macgyver on June 27, 2017, 11:22:22 PM
Laugh all you want Fonzarino.

Don't get your panties in a wad, broseph. For me, this was a one-time experiment to see if the oil would hold up to Amsoil's claim of 15k miles of severe duty service. For my vehicle and usage, this does appear to be the case. I'm not advocating others implement extreme oil change intervals. I was just sharing my data with the community.

Personally, I plan to perform future oil/filter changes at much shorter intervals and keep an eye on wear through intermittent analysis.

2013 XSport

Macgyver

Well Gee. Why dont you state that some where? That way we can all be on the same page.

SHOdded

Quote from: Macgyver on June 27, 2017, 11:50:15 PM
Well Gee. Why dont you state that some where? That way we can all be on the same page.
It was amply clear to me that MiWiAu is collecting and sharing data.  He does so freely and willingly, very few do, whatever the reason.  In any case, please help keep the conversation  civil.  Thank you.
Quote from: MiWiAu on June 27, 2017, 09:58:59 PM
Have you heard of them providing insights into others' reports in the past?
In generalities, yes.  Its just like in most companies, you have to get to the right person, and be persistent till you do.  Maybe even ask for an engineer.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

BTW, what folter were you using and dud you change it at all during this 12000 mile test.  MacGyver raised a valid point that if you are not using a filter designed for severe duty service over 15,000 miles, then you should also change the filter say every 5000 miles or mfr recommendation for severe duty.

Changing filters adds another variable tho.  Fresh media plus fresh oil to compensate for that caught in the filter.  Admittedly the oil volume is not significant, but ... 

But most people who run extended OCIs are unlikely to change the filter anyway.  That thought makes me grit my teeth, LOL.

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on June 28, 2017, 02:53:21 AM
BTW, what folter were you using and dud you change it at all during this 12000 mile test.  MacGyver raised a valid point that if you are not using a filter designed for severe duty service over 15,000 miles, then you should also change the filter say every 5000 miles or mfr recommendation for severe duty.

Changing filters adds another variable tho.  Fresh media plus fresh oil to compensate for that caught in the filter.  Admittedly the oil volume is not significant, but ... 

But most people who run extended OCIs are unlikely to change the filter anyway.  That thought makes me grit my teeth, LOL.

I was using the OEM Motorcraft filter. I opted not to change it to minimize variables, however when not using an extended service filter, Amsoil recommends a filter change at 10k. In retrospect, I should have changed the filter so everything was "by the book", but too late for that now. :)

Also, FWIW, my oil life monitor did not reach 0% until exactly 10,000 mi.

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Quote from: Macgyver on June 27, 2017, 11:50:15 PM

To be fair, I did state earlier in this thread that my goal was to get to a 15k interval, however, at the conclusion of the experiment and based on the data, I'm considering a 15k interval (for motor oil) to be "not feasible" for my vehicle. :)
2013 XSport

SHOdded

Ah, making a ton more sense now.  The MC filter would have been gone at 5K.

Perhaps the IOLM in your XSport actually works, LOL, but I doubt it.  Any idea on engine hours?

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on June 28, 2017, 07:10:23 AM
Any idea on engine hours?

Unfortunately, I did not log hours. If the MC filter is only good for 5K, then I'm sure my oil life monitor is not accurate, haha!

2013 XSport

SHOdded

Ford specs the same filter for the NA and the Ecoboost engines, the FL500S.  Based on your testing, the wear accelerated some time after 7,500 miles.  On my 2007 Edge, which uses an FL400S and has no reminder light, the "normal" duty interval for the filter/oil is 7,500 miles, and the Special Operating Conditions interval is every 5,000 miles or 6 months.  Amsoil clearly states the Ecoboost fits the Special Operating Conditions category.  Hence my 5K recommendation.

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on June 28, 2017, 07:46:40 AM
Ford specs the same filter for the NA and the Ecoboost engines, the FL500S.  Based on your testing, the wear accelerated some time after 7,500 miles.  On my 2007 Edge, which uses an FL400S and has no reminder light, the "normal" duty interval for the filter/oil is 7,500 miles, and the Special Operating Conditions interval is every 5,000 miles or 6 months.  Amsoil clearly states the Ecoboost fits the Special Operating Conditions category.  Hence my 5K recommendation.

Makes sense. I read my Explorer manual this AM, and it essentially states to follow the IOLM. However, it also says, never exceed 10,000 mi without a change or if the IOLM is accidentally reset or malfunctions to change it 5000 mi from the prior change.

2013 XSport