• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Gutted 3rd cat?

Started by camthman, January 06, 2017, 11:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

camthman

Living in CA sucks sometimes in Life, and catalytic converters are just one of the reasons...

I need to keep the 3rd cat (have to)  It just has to "be there"

I am thinking about just being stealth and gutting the 3rd cat so It looks as though if its there. Exhaust places wont even WORK on a car that doesn't have cats on it. Stupid.

I would normally just weld it all up myself, However I now life in an apartment without my welder...

Just curious if anyone has done it.  Thanks.
2010 SHO - M-design - Unleashed Tuning (Torrie) - PPE (Catless) - 3 Bar - 170 Tstat - NGK 6510 - Dynomax Axelback (3rd cat/Res Removed) X pipe - H&R (sitting in garage waiting...)

derfdog15

It is not something I have heard of anyone doing on this platform. I know people have done it on mustangs, etc. with the normal front cats, so I am sure it can be done, but may be a significant pain in the rear end.

I would try and find a "high flow" replacement (since there are two types of "high flows" the ones that are actually Catalytic Converts, and the ones that are just a case with no packing)

That said, on my car with a 3rd cat in place, and no front cats, it is clearly catless on startup based on exhaust smell, you can smell the gasoline fumes in the exhaust just a tad. Not sure that would be an issue for you.

Do you plan to leave the front cats alone?
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

camthman

In CA it has to be the OEM.  So I don't care about the smell.  I have catless DP's.  I just want to get that 3rd cat out. At this point it is the bottleneck.

No one will touch my car with a 10 foot pole. If it involves at Catalytic converter they sh*t a brick.

I have gutted cats a few times myself, however this one would be difficult...

I can always just throw the stock DP's back on for emissions and it will pass as long as the 3rd cat LOOKS like its there... ;)

2010 SHO - M-design - Unleashed Tuning (Torrie) - PPE (Catless) - 3 Bar - 170 Tstat - NGK 6510 - Dynomax Axelback (3rd cat/Res Removed) X pipe - H&R (sitting in garage waiting...)

derfdog15

Got it. You may want to post your mods in your signature so that everyone knows.

I say keep your options open, and try to find a used OE catback/replacement third cat to gut, so you have the original one for use in case you need it (never know if regulations/testing could change).

Other option, and possibly easier, cut out the third cat yourself, which I assume you have to do to gut it anyway.
Put exhaust clamps on both ends of it, either weld your own setup, or use the kind that come with an axleback.
For your regular use/non emissions testing, clamp in/bolt in a set of straight pipes.
For emissions testing replace the third cat.

That is what I plan to do with mine, since shops here will not cut it out and replace it without keeping it and legally can not delete it. This way, the shop is in the clear, since all he is doing is making an "off-road/race-use only" exhaust piece for my car, but putting the stock cat back in.

Hope that helps you out.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

camthman

Thanks for the advise man.

Ya I have some things to think about.  If I just had all my tools and lift this wouldnt be such an issue.. ;(

Josephm

Why does it have to be there? It wont throw a CEL and putting a section of straight pipe in looks near identical after a bit of us. Not sure how they would know it was supposed to have 3 cats on each side.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Leadfoot

I hollowed mine out a few years ago.
sound is only slightly louder and the exhaust smell didn't change much.
PPE cats work well and cut down on fumes.
2018 Taurus SHO White, non pp (ACC) 20/35% tint, ceramic coating, hot pipes, PPE catted down pipes, GH Auto tune, 170 degree t-Stat. Anthony DiCunzolo gen 2 rear mount.

camthman

Quote from: Josephm on January 06, 2017, 05:15:32 PM
Why does it have to be there? It wont throw a CEL and putting a section of straight pipe in looks near identical after a bit of us. Not sure how they would know it was supposed to have 3 cats on each side.

Because its CA... way more strict out here.  Plus the area I live is more strict.   When you ask them to do the job they think you are trying to trick them into doing is so you can catch them and shut their business down.  Its more common than you think...

AJP turbo

Its actually federally illegal to touch the 3rd cat in every state...but its never really enforced because it would have to be an FBI agent to cite you lol
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

camthman

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 07, 2017, 03:16:08 PM
Its actually federally illegal to touch the 3rd cat in every state...but its never really enforced because it would have to be an FBI agent to cite you lol

I must be FBI then... lol

Maybe next time I shouldn't go to the exhaust place wearing my suit and ID badge... ha

Dxlnt1

Most smog shops in Cali will NOT check under the cars if car passes readiness test. They don't know if your car is supposed to have a 3rd cat or not. If you go to a SMOG ONLY SHOP then yes they visually check EVERYTHING as they have random inspections done by state officials.

I think most of others in Cali including myself tear out the 3rd cat and install X-pipe. Smog stations MAY glance and see "something" in place and pass over it. Assume its a cat? But at the same time, not ALL cars have a third cat and thus will not require them to look too hard. SO back to the readiness test.

As I stated to you in a PM, your bigger issue maybe a muffler shop releasing the cats to you. There are some carcinogenic gases that gets released from them making them a hazard. So store them in a place of VERY LITTLE human occupancy. Outside where they can be ventilated. Don't know how potent the release is but why risk it.
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

camthman

In the past I have never had this problem... I think they want to keep the cats so they can recycle them and make some money HONESTY.

But you are probably correct with most smog places.

Check your PMS DX

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on January 09, 2017, 11:51:08 AM
Most smog shops in Cali will NOT check under the cars if car passes readiness test. They don't know if your car is supposed to have a 3rd cat or not. If you go to a SMOG ONLY SHOP then yes they visually check EVERYTHING as they have random inspections done by state officials.

I think most of others in Cali including myself tear out the 3rd cat and install X-pipe. Smog stations MAY glance and see "something" in place and pass over it. Assume its a cat? But at the same time, not ALL cars have a third cat and thus will not require them to look too hard. SO back to the readiness test.

As I stated to you in a PM, your bigger issue maybe a muffler shop releasing the cats to you. There are some carcinogenic gases that gets released from them making them a hazard. So store them in a place of VERY LITTLE human occupancy. Outside where they can be ventilated. Don't know how potent the release is but why risk it.

Dxlnt1

Quote from: camthman on January 09, 2017, 02:14:16 PM
In the past I have never had this problem... I think they want to keep the cats so they can recycle them and make some money HONESTY.

But you are probably correct with most smog places.

Check your PMS DX

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on January 09, 2017, 11:51:08 AM

Did you just say I have P.M.S.? lol
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

camthman

HAHA missed that apostrophe didnt I. 

NITSOOB

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 07, 2017, 03:16:08 PM

In CA, there are actually smog test "check points", literally. Ive only seen them in the lower income communities, but yea...

http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/routine-smog-checkpoints-impede-california-roads/
2013 PP SHO - 3.5" DPs, 3.5" Exhaust, 3" Coldside
Pending: 5-Blade billet wheel, AJP Tune
1/8: 8.4@86