• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Best oil weight for winter/all season

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, December 26, 2016, 02:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

I've never been an oil snob and usually just purchased off the shelf synthetic but wanting to give the SHO better blood.i'm getting ready to order some amsoil and wondering what oil weight would be ideal for my climate in CO. obviously in these winter months ill be seeing single digit temps and below on occasion. . however, a couple days later it can be in the 50's or even 60's. what oil would be best suited for these kind of temperature swings? i'm kinda leaning towards 0w-30 in the winter and 5w-30 summer. or maybe 5w-30 year round? what do the lube experts say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

I would go with 0W30 year-round just for easier startups and a bit better mileage, less strain on the battery, etc.

Other than that, 5W30 year round should be fine.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Shodded is spot on..0-30 is good year round
And flows faster when cold...oil that covers a wider viscosity range is less resistant to shearing but the beauty of amsoil is its basically indestructible so you dont have to worry about shearing so it stays more true to its original viscosity
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: SHOdded on December 26, 2016, 02:11:06 PM
I would go with 0W30 year-round just for easier startups and a bit better mileage, less strain on the battery, etc.

Other than that, 5W30 year round should be fine.
thanks for vote #1. as i understanding 0w30 holds up just the same in high heat as 5w30? so 0w30 is the better all around option

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Good info! I have 6 more qts of Amsoil 5w30, but after that is used up, I think I'll switch over to 0w30.

I was going to send a 5k sample of 5w30 to Blackstone to see how it's holding up.

2013 XSport

SHOdded

Quote from: MiWiAu on December 26, 2016, 11:14:11 PM
I was going to send a 5k sample of 5w30 to Blackstone to see how it's holding up.
Looking forward to results!  But it should easily hold at that point, maybe a little less so than for port injected engines, but robust nonetheless.

Gjkrisa

I've used 0w30 in my Subarus and have always got a head gasket around the next or second oil change someone has mentioned this might create more oil pressure my Subarus are over 100k on had just had the head gaskets changed so I thought it would be fine using roral purple 0w30
Maybe it cleaned some stuff out.
But I've chosen to stay with 5w30 till someone else can prove the car will be fine with it.

I've owned two 2.2 imprezas .

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

AJP turbo

Quote from: Gjkrisa on December 27, 2016, 12:24:20 PM
I've used 0w30 in my Subarus and have always got a head gasket around the next or second oil change someone has mentioned this might create more oil pressure my Subarus are over 100k on had just had the head gaskets changed so I thought it would be fine using roral purple 0w30
Maybe it cleaned some stuff out.
But I've chosen to stay with 5w30 till someone else can prove the car will be fine with it.

I've owned two 2.2 imprezas .

Not sure what you are talking about at all.....0w-30 or 5w-30 would not cause head gasket failure! period....At operating temp 0w-40 and 10w-40 have the same viscosity

At start up and when cold the 0W oil will flow faster with less resistance than a 5W or 10W.....At cold temps a 5W or 10W may be too thick to flow fast enough to vital engine parts which is why pressure is higher with cold temps, it is resistant to flow

Oil viscosity is determined by temperature....Temperature dictates viscosity

If your car recommends 5w-20 and you beat the crap out the car at a road course chances are you will have too low oil pressure because you've super heated the oil and it gets thinner which lowers oil pressure, to get the pressure back to what the engine needs you need to get a heavier weight oil

0w-30 would yield the same viscosity if driven super hard or in hot areas as 5w-20 if not driven hard for example.

Viscosity changes based on temp....When viscosity ratings are given there is always a standard temp constant

Just like fuel injectors are always displayed in flow at a given pressure....Change the pressure the flow changes....Standard fuel injectors are rated at 43.5 psi And I think oil is like 0c and 100c but I'd have to check

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Gjkrisa

Chances are there was oil blocking the leaks and when I put in good oil it cleaned out the sludge to make them leak.
That is just what has happened to me to I'm not taking any risk I know how the viscosity changes but seeing that a hand built GT-R is only vehicle that I've seen recommend oil is 0w30 I'm not risking it on my 2016 till someone else has used it for awial
Thank you.

Gjkrisa

Yes the oil weights are rated at 0c for cold and 100c for hot.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Gjkrisa on December 27, 2016, 01:41:08 PM
Chances are there was oil blocking the leaks and when I put in good oil it cleaned out the sludge to make them leak.
That is just what has happened to me to I'm not taking any risk I know how the viscosity changes but seeing that a hand built GT-R is only vehicle that I've seen recommend oil is 0w30 I'm not risking it on my 2016 till someone else has used it for awial
Thank you.

I've been using 0 weight oils for years (Mobil One and Amsoil) on a variety of Ford engines.

90% of all wear occurs at startup so the thinner at startup the better.

If there was an issue, these oils would not receive the same Ford certifications as the 5 weights.

The only vehicle I wouldn't run it in is one with high mileage that I couldn't verify the service history.

Colorado-SHOBro

thanks AJP and FOMO for the posts. that was the kind of info i was looking for. thinking of the most abusive situation i would put the car through -would 0w30 hold up fine hot lapping a few 1/4 mile runs?

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

AJP turbo

1/4 mile blasts are nothing...I've talked to multiple reps from amsoil and they say road racing is what would require thicker oil

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: 8nutz8 on December 27, 2016, 05:00:49 PM
thanks AJP and FOMO for the posts. that was the kind of info i was looking for. thinking of the most abusive situation i would put the car through -would 0w30 hold up fine hot lapping a few 1/4 mile runs?

It's a non issue as the oil will be hot and behaving as a 30 weight anyway.