• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Cold Weather - OCC Frozen Contents?

Started by MiWiAu, December 20, 2016, 11:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

We've had some wicked cold temps in SE Wisconsin the last couple weeks, and I think some of the contents in my OCC (Rx Monster can) have frozen. I have gone almost 900 miles since my last drain. I tried draining it last week, but not a single drop came out.

This is suspicious to me, since in cool (above freezing) weather my can has been collecting a considerable amount of moisture, so I suspect my drain has frozen. I also noticed a slightly rougher idle this AM, so I'm wondering if the can isn't running as efficiently due to the colder weather and sucking more moisture than usual.

For those of you who run catch cans in frigid temps, have you experienced freeze ups, and if so, do you do anything preventive to protect from freezing? Mine is installed in front of the left fender, so it's not that easy to get to. Our high temps today are supposed to get up to ~30*F, so I'm thinking when I get home tonight, I'll leave a light bulb on under there to try and warm things up and get it drained tomorrow morning.

I'm planning on some dyno runs on Friday, and I'd have more peace of mind if I could drain the OCC prior to my pulls.
2013 XSport

paokara777

I don't have an aftermarket OCC but my car has had rough idle this winter. I've only owned it for 6 months so i don't know if this is just how it runs in extreme cold or if there is something wrong like a fouled plug or otherwise.
Daily Drive:
2010 Ford Taurus SHO, AJP 3BAR 93, K&N drop in
Weekend Cruiser:
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe 289 C Code
4Bl Carb, HiPo Cam, Headers and Exhaust

derfdog15

Quote from: MiWiAu on December 20, 2016, 11:57:25 AM
We've had some wicked cold temps in SE Wisconsin the last couple weeks, and I think some of the contents in my OCC (Rx Monster can) have frozen. I have gone almost 900 miles since my last drain. I tried draining it last week, but not a single drop came out.

This is suspicious to me, since in cool (above freezing) weather my can has been collecting a considerable amount of moisture, so I suspect my drain has frozen. I also noticed a slightly rougher idle this AM, so I'm wondering if the can isn't running as efficiently due to the colder weather and sucking more moisture than usual.

For those of you who run catch cans in frigid temps, have you experienced freeze ups, and if so, do you do anything preventive to protect from freezing? Mine is installed in front of the left fender, so it's not that easy to get to. Our high temps today are supposed to get up to ~30*F, so I'm thinking when I get home tonight, I'll leave a light bulb on under there to try and warm things up and get it drained tomorrow morning.

I'm planning on some dyno runs on Friday, and I'd have more peace of mind if I could drain the OCC prior to my pulls.

Idk if you have tried yet, but maybe get a piece of wire and try to poke into the drain nozzle, that will confirm if it is frozen up or not. I think the lightbulb idea will work well, or possibly even a portable heater if you have one.

Good luck!
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

MiWiAu

Quote from: derfdog15 on December 20, 2016, 12:04:00 PM

Idk if you have tried yet, but maybe get a piece of wire and try to poke into the drain nozzle, that will confirm if it is frozen up or not. I think the lightbulb idea will work well, or possibly even a portable heater if you have one.

Good luck!

I haven't tired a wire yet, but that's a good idea. We'll get closer to the freeze point tonight, so I'm hopeful that I can get this thing drained by the morning. Before I moved to a house with a garage, I used to use the 100W light bulb trick and a shop blanket on my F150 to keep my battery warm on -15 degree nights when I was parked out in the street (no block heater). I was always paranoid a neighbor kid would trip on the extension cord, though. LOL.

I don't have a portable heater, and I don't really want to lay under the truck with a hair dryer, so I guess I'll try the bulb route for now.

If a considerable amount of liquid comes out, I may look into a way to add a heating element or heating mat to the can and/or hose that I can plug in for cold weather, but do it in such a way that it doesn't insulate/heat soak it any worse in the summer (and thus reduce efficiency).

Thanks! :)
2013 XSport

Gjkrisa

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

MiWiAu

Quote from: Gjkrisa on December 20, 2016, 02:40:21 PM
I'd go with one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000I8XDBM/ref=pd_aw_sim_263_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JCNZB2MK83SH5ZYSQQGE

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sweet! Yeah, that's kind of what I had in mind. Thanks. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Well, got home and opened the drain and out came just over 12 oz. Temps must have gotten just high enough today to start the melting. I knew there'd be something in there. :P

I left the drain open and put my shop light under there to hopefully melt any remaining ice cubes over night. :)

EDIT: FWIW, I found an older post from Tracy on a F150 forum that indicated the RX Monster can max capacity is 32 oz and will run peak efficiency up to ~20 oz.

2013 XSport

SHOdded

I hope your shoplight is incandescent LOL

And we definitely don't want any of that crud sucked back into the intake ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on December 20, 2016, 06:46:46 PM
I hope your shoplight is incandescent LOL

And we definitely don't want any of that crud sucked back into the intake ...

LED, but I made sure to point it directly towards the can.

J/K. ;) I'm just using a 60W incandescent, since I'm not sure the rating of the fixture. It does have a metal shade/reflector, so that should help direct a gentle heat. I don't want to set anything ablaze in the middle of the night, LOL.

Agreed on the sucking! Especially with the dyno pulls coming up. Next week I have a 1000mi Christmas road trip as well, and I'm sure that would have topped that baby off! Yay for a high capacity can!

2013 XSport

SHOdded

You might need to knit a blanket for that monster CC.  How is your needlecraft LOL?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on December 20, 2016, 07:07:50 PM
You might need to knit a blanket for that monster CC.  How is your needlecraft LOL?

HAHAHAHA! Funny you should ask! My wife just started crocheting, and literally finished her first hat on Saturday. An OCC blanket wouldn't be too big of a stretch! LMFAO

2013 XSport

SHOdded

Oy that's a coinkydink alright LOL.  Post a pic of the hat and future projects if she's ok with it :)

metroplex

No issues with my JLT 3.0 and our temps have been in the single digits for the past several days. The engine compartment is usually warm enough to keep the JLT above freezing.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

MiWiAu

Quote from: metroplex on December 22, 2016, 04:35:24 AM
No issues with my JLT 3.0 and our temps have been in the single digits for the past several days. The engine compartment is usually warm enough to keep the JLT above freezing.

Cool! Err... Warm! Being in Michigan, has your JLT collected much this winter? I'm not sure I could live with a 3oz capacity in the winter based on this last drain. It didn't collect all that much during the warmer months.

The Rx instructions had an install location in the engine compartment (in front of the oil fill cap), but I elected to install mine in front of the left fender like JimiJak and glock-coma, so it would stay cooler and condense more vapors. Guess it stayed cooler, haha!
2013 XSport

metroplex

I had my car washed earlier this week and usually my tailpipe tips would be pitch black by now, but they still look rather clean. Maybe the JLT is helping reduce the amount of oil vapors being ingested.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport