• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Cold Weather - OCC Frozen Contents?

Started by MiWiAu, December 20, 2016, 11:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

Quote from: metroplex on December 23, 2016, 09:32:04 AM
I had my car washed earlier this week and usually my tailpipe tips would be pitch black by now, but they still look rather clean. Maybe the JLT is helping reduce the amount of oil vapors being ingested.

I noticed my tips were super black before tuning, and tuning seemed to help a little. I actually think the winter weather has helped keep my tips cleaner. LOL It seems like all the extra moisture in the exhaust soaked into the soot during warm-up and eventually helped lift it off the polished surface. I was usually wiping out my exhaust tips every 1-2 weeks, but I haven't had to do it as much since the really cold temps hit.

I'll pay closer attention when temps warm up and see if the soot returns. I changed too many other variables shortly after installing my can to conclusively say whether or not it had any effect on soot.
2013 XSport

glock-coma

Never had the OCC freeze up but then again -30 is damn cold. 
Good idea with the light bulb. I just did a drain a few days ago @ 600 miles, got out about 8oz.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

metroplex

I don't think he said -30F, it's a tilde (~)
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

glock-coma

Whoops....lol. We did have some 10° days in NE Ohio last week. And no occ freezing that I know of.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

MiWiAu

Quote from: metroplex on December 24, 2016, 02:11:14 PM
I don't think he said -30F, it's a tilde (~)

Haha, yeah, sorry, ~about~ 30*F (above zero), lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

metroplex

Here's what the JLT 3.0 collected after 221 miles of driving in temps between 0F and 40F. I didn't see any oil droplets. It reeks of fuel though, so it is most likely the fuel vapor separated by the factory oil vapor separator. I'm not sure if this is a good sign or not. Am I supposed to see oil in the JLT driving in the winter?  This was about 1 oz of fluid, quite a bit. However, this fluid would have combusted just fine after passing through the intake manifold, and may even help with cleaning the intake valves?

The JLT on my 4.6 3V Mustang GT collects oil like crazy, but that is only driven during the summer.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

MiWiAu

Does the JLT only hook up to the IM port, or does it also attach to the intake somewhere?

If you still have your can contents, pour it into a clear plastic bottle and seal it up. Let it settle undisturbed for a few days and see how it separates.
My last drain was mostly water and a very mild fuel smell. Doesn't take much to give it a smell, but the separation could be very telling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

metroplex

The JLT installs in-between the intake manifold and factory oil vapor separator on the rear valve cover.

I've never seen water or fuel vapor in the JLT on my Mustang GT, it was always 100% engine oil.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph