• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

AJPTurbo boost regulator mod with EcoPowerParts charge pipes

Started by derfdog15, December 17, 2016, 07:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

Quote from: derfdog15 on January 06, 2017, 01:22:36 PM

I believe it a replica/similar design to the TiAL F38 which is the predecessor to the MV-S MV-R line. The two bolt flange was the design practice a little while ago, then Vband took completely over.

Here is the F38: http://www.tialsport.com/index.php/tial-products/wastegates/40-f38

Here is the gate he has, I believe: https://www.amazon.com/External-Exhaust-Manifold-Wastegate-Silver/dp/B00N1B66P8/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1483726767&sr=1-2&keywords=38mm+wastegate

Got it. Thanks, derf!

If that's the case, it looks like the generic doesn't have the M10x1 threaded port in the center of the cap like the F38/MV-S units have. Although, if the center springs are the same diameter, it wouldn't take much modification to get it to work if internal clearances are sufficient... interesting. I'll keep this in mind as I go through my feasibility review on the MV-S. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

SHOdded

Man this quoting bizness really makes a thread ugly LOL!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

f8tlSHO

Miwiau
i already have the mbc from a previous turbo project, so its no additional cost for me.
2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq

f8tlSHO

[/quote]

I believe it a replica/similar design to the TiAL F38 which is the predecessor to the MV-S MV-R line. The two bolt flange was the design practice a little while ago, then Vband took completely over.

Here is the F38: http://www.tialsport.com/index.php/tial-products/wastegates/40-f38

Here is the gate he has, I believe: https://www.amazon.com/External-Exhaust-Manifold-Wastegate-Silver/dp/B00N1B66P8/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1483726767&sr=1-2&keywords=38mm+wastegate

here is a precision 38mm gate using the 2 bolt(i think it their current 38mm gate): https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Turbo-External-Wastegate-SPRINGS/dp/B00BNAJNA4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1483726767&sr=1-1&keywords=38mm+wastegate

Precision uses a V-band on the rest of their gates, but 38mm retains a 2 bolt AFAIK.

Nice thing with the two bolt is that there are readily available flanges in whatever material you want, and easy to buy dump-pipes etc. such as: https://www.amazon.com/Rev9Power-Rev9-AC-004-38mm-Wastegate-Dump/dp/B00SA3PLEO/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1483726767&sr=1-3&keywords=38mm+wastegate
[/quote]

yes this is the one i bought off of amazon. i will see if i can take some pictures tonight with the lid popped off
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.

StealBlueSho

Does anyone work anymore!?

MiWiAu

Quote from: f8tlSHO on January 06, 2017, 02:16:42 PM
Miwiau
i already have the mbc from a previous turbo project, so its no additional cost for me.

Cool, yeah, I was just thinking for the next guy/gal who stumbles on this thread. :)

Quote from: SHOdded on January 06, 2017, 02:10:51 PM
Man this quoting bizness really makes a thread ugly LOL!

Sorry, Manu. I went back and cleaned up my last ugly quote. I'm usually better about trimming my quotes, but you caught me in a moment of laziness. ;)

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Quote from: StealBlueSho on January 06, 2017, 02:20:03 PM

Sometimes all this thinking and cleaning up messy quotes for Manu feels like work. :P

2013 XSport

derfdog15

Quote from: StealBlueSho on January 06, 2017, 02:20:03 PM

I have downtime every-time I wait for MATLAB to spit out more plots, and simulate more data...

Well that and a short attention span...
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

SHOdded

You are a naughty boy, MiWiAu, good thing XMas is already over, and you have many many days to repent ;)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FearlessAZ

I do gotta say it is awesome to see what someone can tweak on one person's idea to make it work. Great stuff

Also, I see various parts and this and that mentioned throughout the thread. Anyone give a consolidated list to give a good idea of what parts are involved/need to be bought. Makes Putting together a budget for it a little easier.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

MiWiAu

Quote from: FearlessAZ on January 06, 2017, 04:02:45 PM
Also, I see various parts and this and that mentioned throughout the thread. Anyone give a consolidated list to give a good idea of what parts are involved/need to be bought. Makes Putting together a budget for it a little easier.

I put together a detailed list for my initial install on AJP's original thread. My XSport install is Post #66, but many of the same parts could be used for the SHO. I'll update it once I sort out my boost reference experiment.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6526.msg108713.html#msg108713

Thing is, everyone is using slightly different methods/parts, and putting their own personal touch their installs, which makes it difficult to put together a universal list.

For the basics, you need a wastegate (with a way to adjust it for your boost levels - i.e. spring options), a way to connect the wastegate to your intake plumbing, a boost reference to add to the wastegate, and a compatible tune.
2013 XSport

derfdog15

I do gotta say it is awesome to see what someone can tweak on one person's idea to make it work. Great stuff

Here is my parts list, with links to reference, of what I bought

70 degree bend aluminum pipe, 1.75" OD -- http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=PIP175-75&Category_Code=PIP175
1.75" OD stainless steel 'joiner' pipe -- http://www.siliconeintakes.com/turbo-piping/intercooler-pipe-fabrication-p-131.html
Hump connector and t-bolts -- http://www.siliconeintakes.com/hump-hose/turbo-coupler-p-428.html and 2x http://www.siliconeintakes.com/t-bolt-clamp/compressor-tbolt-p-107.html
Vband for the TiAL (supplied with wastegate) -- https://www.importimageracing.com/tial-mvs-38mm-v-band-external-wastegate-universal.html#header-search -- they offer a 5% off code many times, as well as free shipping with the code, best price I found on a new in box TiAL

I needed the aluminum pipe and hump hose due to the EPP charge pipes being aluminum and wanted to mate the gate to them.

I initially grabbed vacuum reference from the brake booster line (which is pictured earlier on I believe).

I am now grabbing vacuum from the port, under the TIP sensor, on the EPP charge pipes

This replaced my cross, from above with a T that goes to my BOV and boost gauge from the current T on my brake booster line (it is remote mounted with a 3/8" line connecting the two T's.

The other option for a vacuum reference for the gate, is the TIP sensor location on the charge pipes between the rear turbo and the intercooler, which I believe is also pictured.

You will need a suitable length of 1/4" or 6mm vacuum hose to run between your source and the gate as well. I bought 6mm hose form Silicone Intakes that is pretty good. I also bought 1/4" hose locally at autozone for about the same price, and also of good quality.

Any other questions just let us know!
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

f8tlSHO

Once I get mine figured out I can put together a list for the people that don't want to buy the expensive parts.. lol..

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: f8tlSHO on January 06, 2017, 10:25:25 AM
Quote from: derfdog15 on January 06, 2017, 10:21:50 AM
For extra reference for anyone interested.

As ZSHO/Myself Have Mentioned in the past/this thread, the vacuum line for the brake booster uses a 3/8" hose, so if tapping that you need a T with 3/8" barbs to insert.

The TIP reference on the piping from the rear turbo to intercooler, uses 1/4" hose, so you would need a T with 1/4" barbs.

For the wastegate itself/ most wastegates/most BOVs they recommend 1/4" hose as well, and that is what the supplied nipples usually support. 6mm hose works as well.

f8tlSHO, my only concern with that location is that with the gate open, it may be too close to the gate and have a pressure drop causing the gate to chatter/oscillate between open and closed. But go ahead and test it out if it isn't too much trouble for ya, would definitely make line routing super easy.
Even easier to take the car in for service. Pop off put noise thingy back on, done.. I just drilled and tapped a hole in the pipe. I will attempt this and see how it goes

This is what I want, it has to look nice and be secure.

AJP's original design left me wanting a bit more in the aesthetics department. (no offense)

Between than and a lack of creativity/fabrication skills has left me without this much needed mod.

f8tlSHO

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on January 06, 2017, 11:56:53 PM
Quote from: f8tlSHO on January 06, 2017, 10:25:25 AM
Quote from: derfdog15 on January 06, 2017, 10:21:50 AM
For extra reference for anyone interested.

As ZSHO/Myself Have Mentioned in the past/this thread, the vacuum line for the brake booster uses a 3/8" hose, so if tapping that you need a T with 3/8" barbs to insert.

The TIP reference on the piping from the rear turbo to intercooler, uses 1/4" hose, so you would need a T with 1/4" barbs.

For the wastegate itself/ most wastegates/most BOVs they recommend 1/4" hose as well, and that is what the supplied nipples usually support. 6mm hose works as well.

f8tlSHO, my only concern with that location is that with the gate open, it may be too close to the gate and have a pressure drop causing the gate to chatter/oscillate between open and closed. But go ahead and test it out if it isn't too much trouble for ya, would definitely make line routing super easy.
Even easier to take the car in for service. Pop off put noise thingy back on, done.. I just drilled and tapped a hole in the pipe. I will attempt this and see how it goes

This is what I want, it has to look nice and be secure.

AJP's original design left me wanting a bit more in the aesthetics department. (no offense)

Between than and a lack of creativity/fabrication skills has left me without this much needed mod.
fabrication is one of my favorite departments