• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 XSport Tuning

Started by MiWiAu, October 24, 2016, 01:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

Quote from: sholxgt on October 28, 2016, 01:11:14 PMI'm a Costco fanatic, but I don't buy their fuel.  I go for Chevron, BP, and Shell.  Many on here swear by Shell giving them significantly different datalogs.  If you have one nearby, it might be worth a tank to see if you get different results.

No Chevron stations around here. There are a few Shell stations, I could top off at to see if it resolves my problem; unfortunately, they're all pretty out-of-the-way from my normal routine to use regularly. BPs are everywhere around here.

I'm definitely curious about the possibility of chafed knock sensor wires; at the very least it sounds like it would behoove me to take some preventive measures. I'm going to check this first before I start changing my fuel, so I'm not changing too many variables at once.

Thanks guys! I'll keep you posted on what I find.
2013 XSport

SHOdded

I have found Shell 93 to be superior to bp & exxon 93 since the nitro+ formulation came out.  And if it helps an NA motor, it should really help a boosted one.  Good luck, am following with interest.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

I'm a huge Shell 93+Nitro fanboi because of its data log proven knock resistance vs Speedway 93.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on October 28, 2016, 08:50:04 PM
I'm a huge Shell 93+Nitro fanboi because of its data log proven knock resistance vs Speedway 93.

X2^^^^

16MagSport

See if your KR drops with increased octane.  I was fighting high KR in the stock tune.  AJP gave me a tune with much less advance than stock so we could sort it out.  Recently, I added octane and the KR didn't change.  It also was very inconsistent and moved +4 degrees run to run with 96 octane and less advance than stock with only
12 psi of boost and a good 0.8 AFR.  That pretty much said it was falsely detecting knock.  It was just way too inconsistent.  I doctored up the knock sensor wires and it got more consistent, but still seemed to be false.  It would pull a bunch of timing but add it all back in before the pull was over.  It would always add advance until I went WOT.  Anyway, we added degrees back  in the tune and the KR didn't change, so I still have some false stuff.  AJP has been great helping me get this sorted out.  The false KR sucks though because it is tying our hands a little with tuning.  As you saw, Torrie used your logged KR to determine how much advance he could put on your tune.  Ideally, you would have 0 KR, which means no knock detected but the tune is also aggressive enough that it doesn't keep adding advance with negative KR numbers.  My problem is that I can't trust my KR, which sucks, so I just have to keep a "mild" tune.  It still picked up almost 8 tenths in the 1/4 and 4mph!  Maybe not so "mild."  Let us know what your KR does after putting 93 in it.  I did all of my logs on the same stretch of road for consistency.  If you can, make a log, fill up, then do another log right away.  That way the weather and temperature are the same between the two logs and the only change is the fuel.  Post those two logs if you can get them.  I am very curious to see them.  Zip tie your knock sensor wires first as shown in posts in this forum.
2016 Magnetic Explorer Sport 401A  (Wife's DD)  13.55 @ 99.87 mph AJP Tune Only.
1993 Mustang, Big Bore Dart block 347 with Vortech SC, TKO500, 10.84 @ 128.5mph
         (Burned in Cali wildfire)
2006 Dodge Ram, 2WD Quad Cab Hemi, 14.60 @ 92mph

MiWiAu

I'll be working through knock sensor wiring and fuel today. Thanks guys!
2013 XSport

16MagSport

Quote from: MiWiAu on October 29, 2016, 11:33:55 AM
Another good way to log, which is how I did all my tuning with my Stang, is to just do a 3rd gear pull.  Your tune needs to allow you to hold it in 3rd at low rpm though, which my AJP tune does.  I do both a WOT run from 0 to 90+mph and a 3rd gear pull from 2500rpm to redline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Magnetic Explorer Sport 401A  (Wife's DD)  13.55 @ 99.87 mph AJP Tune Only.

MiWiAu

Quote from: 16MagSport on October 29, 2016, 11:45:40 AM
Quote from: MiWiAu on October 29, 2016, 11:33:55 AM
Another good way to log, which is how I did all my tuning with my Stang, is to just do a 3rd gear pull.  Your tune needs to allow you to hold it in 3rd at low rpm though, which my AJP tune does.  I do both a WOT run from 0 to 90+mph and a 3rd gear pull from 2500rpm to redline.

Crap, I didn't see this until after I collected logs.

Secondly, I hope I didn't royally eff up my truck. Just after getting in from my last pull, literally two seconds after pulling into my driveway, the engine light started flashing, and the truck started idling really rough. GREAT. No DTC.

I shut off the car, then restarted it, and it cranked for 5 seconds before it started. Still idled rough. Let it run for about 20 seconds, then I got P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfire code, which I believe is the middle cylinder nearest the firewall. I'm going to pull the plug and see if it looks melted.

In the meantime, here are some data logs to look at:

87NoKnockFix is a new baseline run from this morning before I did anything.

87KnockFix is after I taped up the knock sensor wires on the driver's side. No chafing was evident.

91KnockFix is after I added 18.003 gallons of 91 no ethanol BP fuel. I thought the station had 93, but when I got there it was 91. I was 11 miles to E, so I didn't have enough gas to get anywhere else. I burned just shy of 1 gallon of the fresh fuel before taking my data log.

To me, I don't see a substantial difference between the three, and the big jumps in KR seem to coincide with shifting.

2013 XSport

SHOdded

Sounds like Ford needs to issue a recalibration/new strategy, if not a redesigned part.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

Sounds like a fuel injector and/or valve cover leak. MiWiAu.  Dealer visit likely.

MiWiAu

Quote from: SHOdded on October 29, 2016, 04:09:15 PM
Sounds like a fuel injector and/or valve cover leak. MiWiAu.  Dealer visit likely.

Yep, methinks so. I also threw code P00C6 (Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low - Engine Cranking Bank 1), and there is white fuel vapor coming out of the exhaust. Same exact symptoms as Tomc: http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=2650.0

Service department at my dealer closed 2 minutes before I called over there, and nobody was left to answer my call. :( Looks like I'll be getting a tow on Monday morning. According to the 2013 warranty information, it looks like injectors are covered under 7yr/70,000 mile emission long term defects warranty. Hopefully I'm reading that right, and I can get this thing covered.

I've already put my 2-bar MAP back in and reflashed the stock tune.

Couple of follow-up questions for you guys:

1) Can a custom tune cause this type of failure, or is this purely a coincidence?

2) What are the chances this injector being on its way out is causing my KR readings?

It's amazing to me that not 30 minutes after "treating" my truck to premium no ethanol fuel that an injector gets stuck. Good stuff. :)
2013 XSport

AJP turbo

A tune can cause a multitude of problems....hard to pin it to anything at this point including an injector...im not sure the ford strategy has anything to do with it

Im not sure a leaky valve cover would cause this
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

At a glance on those logs I didn't see anything bad that happened. But I didn't see desired TIP or Boost that was all over the place. And the torque reductions on shifts have been eliminated. You didn't log torque source to confirm that but I don't see the dramatic spark retard at shifts which is the main way that tq reduction happens

If you log torque source you will see a value of 7 during an up or downshift.

And even at what appears to be stock boost levels your throttle is not open fully.

Do you know exactly what benefit you are getting from the tune? An explanation would be fair.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

MiWiAu

Quote from: AJP turbo on October 29, 2016, 09:54:21 PM
At a glance on those logs I didn't see anything bad that happened. But I didn't see desired TIP or Boost that was all over the place. And the torque reductions on shifts have been eliminated. You didn't log torque source to confirm that but I don't see the dramatic spark retard at shifts which is the main way that tq reduction happens

If you log torque source you will see a value of 7 during an up or downshift.

And even at what appears to be stock boost levels your throttle is not open fully.

Do you know exactly what benefit you are getting from the tune? An explanation would be fair.

Thanks, AJP. I agree, an explanation would be fair. I sent Torrie a note Thursday evening, but haven't yet heard back. I'm trying to be patient, and I really appreciate you guys helping me try to fill in the blanks in the meantime. I figured I'd give him the rest of the weekend to respond, since I can't drive my car now anyways.
2013 XSport

16MagSport

I'll have to check the logs later.  Use AJP.  Nice safe tune that still performs much better than stock.  Read my post about 2016 Explorer with high knock.