• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

7* of Knock from 2-3 shift at WOT.

Started by hunterbabich, August 24, 2016, 07:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunterbabich

Just put an 91 Unleashed 3 bar on the 2010 Sho. Datalogged it a few times and found high knock values. I can hear the knock on the shift from 2-3 and even 1-2 sometimes. I attached the log file with the  7* of knock. Hopefully someone would be able to give me some insight into the cause of this problem. I emailed Torrie and he suggested poor fuel quality. I'm about to add some oct booster and run that until i fill it up again from a different gas station.

SHOdded

New, properly gapped plugs installed prior to the tune?  How many miles on your SHO?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

I will look at the log later....but i too have seen fuel quality variation and also you are probably getting a huge boost spike on the 2-3 shift...its hard to avoid but i have a decent method

The boost spike causes a fast load spike which creates the favorable condition for knock and knock retard...its why the stock tune uses the throttle blade to control boost and some tuners are hell bent on keeping the throttle open
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

hunterbabich

Plugs gapped to 0.027 (motorcraft sp534). Miles: 131xxx

FoMoCoSHO

If you have audible knock at WOT and the knock sensor is pulling its max I would suggest extreme caution until you sort it out.

Curious, what kind of fuel is in the car now?

hunterbabich

I'm running an 87 octane tune right now. I have shell v-power 91-octane no ethanol in the tank right now.

AJP turbo

I would think 91 octane with 10% ethanol is better than pure 91 gas
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: AJP turbo on August 24, 2016, 08:49:40 PM
I would think 91 octane with 10% ethanol is better than pure 91 gas
You would think but all the research I've read shows it actually performs worse than pure 91.

The benefit starts at 15-20% and moves up as volume increases.

hunterbabich

I do remember now that the gas station i filled up at has been know to have water in their storage tanks before, so that might have affected quality.

sholxgt

Everyone has their opinions on fuel stations, but I have not had good luck with Shell in general.

Not sure what your options are, but I have good luck with Chevron, BP, Amoco, Texaco and Mobil.

FWIW, you're not the first person on here to have trouble with 91 octane fuel and an Unleashed tune.  I don't think he quite accounts for how poor the 91 octane fuel is.

Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

hunterbabich

First time tuning a car so I guess I really never had to worry about fuel quality quite as much as I would now. There is absolutely no 93 where I live. All 91 and below. Even worse all the gas stations are mostly shells, athough I do have a few mobile BP and krist stations by me. Guess I'm just gonna have to keep testing the different fuels until I find one the car likes.

FoMoCoSHO

The Shell 93 around these parts is no joke.

Hunter, are you in Cali by any chance?

hunterbabich

FoMoCoSHO

hunterbabich

Not where I live in the summer. I go to school in platteville, Wi though and there is a station that has e85 down there.