• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Newb here- help with scantool apps.

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, August 01, 2016, 12:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

Hey folks,
I receive my obd wifi device tomorrow and am trying to decide which of the myriad of scantool apps to download. I didn't want to pony of the $50 for OBDLink adapter quite yet so i'm gonna see if i can get by with one of the cheaper devices/apps. I'll be primarily using my iphone SE (and possibly a really shitty android tablet i have)  This is the device i purchased https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Scanner-Adapter-Diagnostic-Trouble/dp/B00WPW6BAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470066539&sr=8-1&keywords=obd+wifi
Hopefully it's a decent one. I know OBD Fusion has some special requirements on the type of adapter you use so i'm not sure if that app will be an option for me or not.
I'm looking to scan all the basics to start
KR,AFR,FRP,Spark advance,tranny temp, fuel trims, etc.
Are these PID's pretty much all the apps support?

I'm sure a lot of this is personal preference but what app is the most user friendly and would suit these basic functions the best?
OBDFusion-if its compatible with my device
dashcommand
enginelink
Mode6
etc.,etc.?

Just trying to get a general consensus here before i start downloading $5-10 apps and figuring out they're terrible the hard way.

Thanks for the input!!!

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

Don't leave it plugged in after turning off the car.  Only time will tell if it causes false CELs like some adapters do.

1. I like Forscan Lite (on Android and on iOS) simply because it is the same interface and is a powerful tool.  For windows you use the full-featured Forscan.  You can certainly ask the Forscan folks (on their forum) to add parameters if you think they are missing, and they will likely work with you to get them added.
2. If you want graphical capability PLUS the additional custom parameters found elsewhere on this forum, Torque Pro is your goto.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: SHOdded on August 01, 2016, 12:18:34 PM
Don't leave it plugged in after turning off the car.  Only time will tell if it causes false CELs like some adapters do.

1. I like Forscan Lite (on Android and on iOS) simply because it is the same interface and is a powerful tool.  For windows you use the full-featured Forscan.  You can certainly ask the Forscan folks (on their forum) to add parameters if you think they are missing, and they will likely work with you to get them added.
2. If you want graphical capability PLUS the additional custom parameters found elsewhere on this forum, Torque Pro is your goto.
Good advice SHOdded thank you. Not looking for a ton of graphs or custom PID's. . . just the standard stuff to start. so looks like +1 for Forscan. any other suggestions people?
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

FoMoCoSHO

If you are looking to run aux gauges, IMHO, Forscan is a no go but it is a good diagnostic tool.

Dashcommand seems to be the fastest with the default tuxedo layout but is missing important things like KR. You can build your own gauges but that adds an extra layer and they lag. Programming the tux layout has a very steep learning curve. Plus there is a requirement that you have to upload anything you create to their server. I'm working on a sideloading solution so I can share them with who I choose, maybe make some $ for my services.

Torque Pro is probably easiest for a newb to navigate, has lots of PIDS, but is fairly inflexible with regards to gauge design. Seems to be the slowest refresh of the 3.

OBDLINK/FUSION have some distinct advantages to Torque Pro...much more flexibility with gauge design, the ability to import dashboards, gauges, and pids very easily, the ability to change gauges on the fly, and I think some of their custom pids (TQ/HP) are more accurate and consistent. Requires scantool.net OBD adapter.

As far as your dongle selection, I would advise against any cheap chinese made device. Folks have had lots of problems with them, they use slower chips, and you're screwing around with the datastream of a very expensive engine. It doesn't make any sense to me to spend 50 grand on a car and then try and save a few bucks on something that interfaces with the brain of your vehicle. Scantool also provides a support forum which you will not get with the other devices, and you get OBDLink for free along with OBDwiz for windows. You get what you pay for.

I have layout threads for Torque and OBDLink, maybe take a peek at those and see what strikes your fancy. Remember, you can use my templates for OBDLink easily but Torque breaks everything when it is imported.

Colorado-SHOBro

the adapter I ordered is compatible with obd fusion so that's what I ended up downloading. is knock retard or trans temp not pre-set pid's? can't find them or maybe they're just named funny

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: 8nutz8 on August 02, 2016, 09:09:52 AM
the adapter I ordered is compatible with obd fusion so that's what I ended up downloading. is knock retard or trans temp not pre-set pid's? can't find them or maybe they're just named funny
It may just say knock or there may be a bundle of Ford pids you need to turn on.

Settings/userdefined pids....then hit the 3 button menu on the top right and select import built in pids....there should be a set for Ford.

If KR isn't in there, I will show you how to build custom pids with the formula.

Colorado-SHOBro

thanks fomo! found the trans temp in used defined pid's. no knock sensor though. any guidance for creating one would be greatly appreciated

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: 8nutz8 on August 02, 2016, 06:20:36 PM
thanks fomo! found the trans temp in used defined pid's. no knock sensor though. any guidance for creating one would be greatly appreciated
I will post you a screenshot when I get back from running errands.

FoMoCoSHO

Settings/user defined pids/ 3 Dot menu/Add                               

Colorado-SHOBro

Thanks FoMoCoSho!!! Got the knock PID programmed in and actually downloaded your dashboard from the other OBDLink thread. Great work! can't tell you how much time you saved me lol!!!
Curious thing though . . . I only saw negative values in the knock gauge, never went above zero. Not that i'm complaining but i would guess these things have a little bit of KR out of the factory-I'm %100 stock. Kind of made me wonder if that gauge was working properly. I was using the one from your pre-set dashboard that i downloaded

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: 8nutz8 on August 03, 2016, 01:08:46 AM
Thanks FoMoCoSho!!! Got the knock PID programmed in and actually downloaded your dashboard from the other OBDLink thread. Great work! can't tell you how much time you saved me lol!!!
Curious thing though . . . I only saw negative values in the knock gauge, never went above zero. Not that i'm complaining but i would guess these things have a little bit of KR out of the factory-I'm %100 stock. Kind of made me wonder if that gauge was working properly. I was using the one from your pre-set dashboard that i downloaded
There are min and max carrots on the outside edge, I'd take a peek at those as well.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on August 03, 2016, 01:54:40 AM
Quote from: 8nutz8 on August 03, 2016, 01:08:46 AM
There are min and max carrots on the outside edge, I'd take a peek at those as well.
yep. out of the several pulls I did last night I never saw anything above 0 but looks like the max carrot is around +2 from my pull this morning. I guess that's good news if I'm only getting a degree or two over several pulls. what's the norm for a stock EB as far as KR goes?

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

FoMoCoSHO

Honestly it seems to vary.

My 2013 seemed to have quite a bit more than the 2015.

Colorado-SHOBro

yeah I'll have to get some data when it's hotter out today. I'm sure I'll see a little more KR or less timing. was getting 19-21* right around the shifts. also gonna try some e85 blending on the next fillip and see how that changes things

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Colorado-SHOBro

I'm beginning to wonder if the KR pid is working on my OBD fusion app. I've been scanning for the past week+ and i literally never see any positive values in the knock gauge. Every once in a while i see the max carrot at 1. I've been doing a bit of Ethanol blending so i figured maybe i was just seeing the benefits from that but last night a ran the tank down to almost E(less than a gallon in the tank) and put in 1.2gals of 85oct. Proceeded to drive and do some WOT pulls and i still have not seen a blip of positive KR. the gauge reflects negative value for added timing so it's getting input. I've verified the formula as  ((signed(A)*256)+B)/512.
Shift points are still 6k+ and boost levels have remained around 9-11psi. Again, the car is 100% stock. Maybe the ECU hasn't had time to recognize the reduced octane and make these adjustments? Can't imagine it wouldn't register knock with that s*** gas in it though

I honestly want to see a little KR on a WOT pull just to verify the gauge is working properly as this point LOL

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.