• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Confused?????

Started by pitt1717, July 23, 2016, 10:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitt1717

So I just picked up a 17 Explorer Sport and like everyone here I was looking for info on mods upgrades etc. I always had nat aspirated cars and found this sub forum and began reading. Very interesting and with 30 so miles on my truck this may be a wise first investment.
But after reading I'm finding some cans work others don't. Then those that do work only do so in certain eng compartment locations, which makes me think, they all prob work if located in the right spot. Then when looking at products, some people say no to some yet yes to others etc.

Whats the scoop here? I am not looking for a flame war on who's stuff doesn't work because of a company sale etc. Just looking for honest information.

I would like to be able to install one without drilling any holes in any pipes.
I don't want to void my warranty as again I just picked the truck up on wed 7/20/16
I liked the rx install write up where there was a drain at the bottom of the truck. Do they all or can they all be modified to do that?

Thanks for any and all info.... (Glad to be back in a DD Ford, 98 Mustang doesn't get much use these days :( )

ZSHO

Welcome aboard to the E.B.P.F Pitt1717 and Definitely an oil catch can IMHO is probably the wisest investments you can make for your Ecoboost and the RX and UPR are one of the best oil catch can kits available for the Ecoboost platform and are truly high quality units and both come with an oil drain valve when selected under options,and under your case the UPR does NOT require drilling but would check to confirm fitment and any drilling aspect prior to ordering any of the above mentioned kits for your 17 X-Sport and certainly don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.....here are a couple of links for ya.  Z     http://www.ecopowerparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=122                                http://www.rxspeedworks.com/product/rx-catch-can-kits/

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

bpd1151

Not sure if they've changed positions on the subject matter, or not....

But LMS has suggested that any catch can is a no no for the EB platform.

There was some discussion as to why they embraced that mantra, perhaps a search or two will reveal said convos, or perhaps PM them directly and ask.

I was never for one to begin with, so I have no dog in the fight so to speak,  but suffice to say, my SHO's approaching her 7th birthday, and never ran one, and have never had issues.

My opinion at least for this platform, is they're WAY over hyped, and their inconsistent results across the board speak volumes to that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pitt1717

Thanks Z for the links and bpd for your insight. Now you see my confusion lol.

I just want to protect my investment (if you can call a car that) because when the check book settles a bit I would love to get a tune also.

AnotherGreenFusion

Poked around and found some of the posts. Livernois is dead set on not using the can: http://www.shoforum.com/index.php?threads/catch-cans.131417/

Might pull my can off, I have been on the fence since I got it but was curious.

Havent had any pooling in the CAC just a bit on the throttle plate and a bit of a mess in the intake and hot side, not very much though. 20k miles so far on the car and so far I only have the boomba PCV, my RX needed more creative mounting so its still on the bench.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

pitt1717

Interesting read. I understand livernois point about not being on any of their cars. But if my cars where just used to race I may agree. But a daily driver that goes through stop and go traffic as well as highway speed maybe the drive characteristics come into play??? Dunno and not a mechanic. But I do respect livernois opinion as the saying goes, win on race day sell on Monday.

So maybe I save the cash and just go for the tune???? Decisions decisions

glock-coma

I'm not sure why some have issues and some don't.
But I'm glad I installed the RX , I've pulled out around 20 oz total, mostly in the colder months in NE Ohio.
I would expect longer idle times to be the cause.
But I definitely wouldn't want that crap going back into the intake.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

AnotherGreenFusion

Quote from: pitt1717 on July 23, 2016, 02:03:13 PM
Interesting read. I understand livernois point about not being on any of their cars. But if my cars where just used to race I may agree. But a daily driver that goes through stop and go traffic as well as highway speed maybe the drive characteristics come into play??? Dunno and not a mechanic. But I do respect livernois opinion as the saying goes, win on race day sell on Monday.

So maybe I save the cash and just go for the tune? ??? Decisions decisions

At the end of the day you may need to get your heads cleaned in 100k or so. Or you can drain a catch can. There are supposed power increases by not polluting the intake air as much. I have no idea how much that really is the case though. Every thread has me going back and forth TBH but if I knew then what I did now I prob would have saved my money and bought another mod like pullies.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

SHOdded

If you build methanol injection into your plan, the carboning issue wont be an issue at all, catch can or no catch can.  Using a high quality full synthetic motor oil will be your friend, the PCV system's friend, and the engine's friend.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Here's what I've pulled out since 44,341. I currently have just over 49k

The middle one @46,286 was taken on 3/8/16

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

ZSHO

Great analysis Glock...smells like gas and crap.    To the OP the only reason i would hold off on the catch can for now is that looking at multiple sites for ya noticed many Kits are made ONLY for 10-15 models and might need to do some modifications of some kind and certainly dont want to drill only for oil,lol. and also the 16+models come with an EGR sensor built in the front clean side oil seperator which you will most likely need to make some changes to IMO and you can always  purchase a cheap alternative as an JLT kit for fairly cheap and without having to break the bank or until they come out with an updated version,just don't want to see ya end up with an extra car payment if not needed to do so,here's a good thread for ya.  Z        http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,2536.msg90409.html#msg90409

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|