• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Trying to hit 8 flat or mid to high 7s

Started by Switchgears32, July 01, 2016, 02:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Switchgears32

Hello, my name is Anthony, i drive a 2010 mks ecoboost, im involved in alot of the facebook groups, i figured this would be a good topic for the forums, right now all the mods i have include plugs, drop in filter, muffler delete, res delete and a tune, i run an average 8.4 but have gotten as low as 8.2, im wondering what my next step should be in order to hit 7s or at least a flat 8, in other words, what is the best bang for buck mod that will shave a second or at least a couple milliseconds off my 1/8th mile time. Thanks in advance guys and girls.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

2010 Lincoln Mks Ecoboost
K&N Drop in
Factory snorkel removed
Jlt catch can
Tuned with sct x4

ZSHO

Welcome aboard the EBPF Anthony and appreciate you NOT mentioning your tuning co or any such affiliations and etc,think a good place to start would be by simply following this link and Introducing yourself,thanks.  Z   http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Scott4957

Welcome from another MKS owner. So we can assume a 3 bar 93 tune? I would go the meth route personally. I have not run mine yet but I am confident in the right conditions I will see 7.9x on the board.
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

Switchgears32

I apologize, although i dont quite understand why its okay to have tuner affilations in signature and not a post, nonetheless, thanks for letting me know ill keep that in mind. Scott, yes i have a 3 bar 93 tune, im alittle sceptical about meth due to the failure rate it has, if i end up racing with it and it fails i could potentially ruin my motor, i think i would rather run a 50 shot of nitrous lol
K&N Drop in
Factory snorkel removed
Jlt catch can
Tuned with sct x4

ZSHO

I think D.Pipes would definitely be your best bet,how many miles on your MKS?

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Switchgears32

That was my plan, ill have to start saving, i bought it a few months back at 50k now im at 6xk
K&N Drop in
Factory snorkel removed
Jlt catch can
Tuned with sct x4

sholxgt

Quote from: ZSHO on July 01, 2016, 03:31:22 PM
I think D.Pipes would definitely be your best bet,how many miles on your MKS?

I second this!  My understanding is that the down pipes are the most restrictive part of the exhaust.  They certainly look narly.  I doubt you are getting any gain from your deletes since the primary restriction is before them.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

bpd1151

Quote from: Switchgears32 on July 01, 2016, 03:17:27 PMI'm a little sceptical about meth due to the failure rate it has, if i end up racing with it and it fails i could potentially ruin my motor, i think i would rather run a 50 shot of nitrous lol

When running Methanol, what are these alleged failures you speak of?

There has not been one single failure that I am aware of, as it pertains to running Methanol, and I've been (heavily) involved with it's use, and (heavily involved) in this platform, for 6 years and counting.

There have been so called fears of it's use, and blah blah blah, and none of those alleged fears have ever proven accurate. Not to mention there are safety measures in place that prevent catastrophic failures.

I can attest from experience, and those that I tune with, it's much more challenging tuning with Nitrous, than it ever has been with Methanol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

sholxgt

Quote from: bpd1151 on July 01, 2016, 03:45:09 PM
Quote from: Switchgears32 on July 01, 2016, 03:17:27 PMI'm a little sceptical about meth due to the failure rate it has, if i end up racing with it and it fails i could potentially ruin my motor, i think i would rather run a 50 shot of nitrous lol

When running Methanol, what are these alleged failures you speak of?

There has not been one single failure that I am aware of, as it pertains to running Methanol, and I've been (heavily) involved with it's use, and (heavily involved) in this platform, for 6 years and counting.

There have been so called fears of it's use, and blah blah blah, and none of those alleged fears have ever proven accurate. Not to mention there are safety measures in place that prevent catastrophic failures.

I can attest from experience, and those that I tune with, it's much more challenging tuning with Nitrous, than it ever has been with Methanol.

He was speaking of water/meth injections.  There have been tons of reports of failed pumps.  With a wet nitrous kit, it either comes on or it doesn't and there's no major difference other than power.

On the flip side, if you're tune is set to fully take advantage of the meth injection and then the pump fails, you are not going to have a happy car.  The ECU will do what it can to pull timing and I'm sure it will be OK in the short term, but I'd hate to have it happen regularly.
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Scott4957

Yeah my pump failed and my car did not melt down. I have the log, it pulled all the timing, closed the throttle a bit and fuel pressure came back up. If you get to 7.99 just adding down pipes it was likely due to better conditions/driving. I highly doubt they will take 2 tenths off the 1/8th. Not saying you won't get there with it, just saying the DP's are not worth 2 tenths in the 1/8th. I know there are 3bar 93 tune only cars out there that have broke into the 7's.

You can do meth for $400 and get much more out of the car than DP's at twice the price. The 50 shot will do it as well, but its not an always available kind of thing like meth. I would love to have a 50 on top of my meth. Its all about what you want, but HP/$ you are looking at Meth, then 50shot, then DP's.

sholxgt

Quote from: Scott4957 on July 01, 2016, 03:53:20 PM
Its all about what you want, but HP/$ you are looking at Meth, then 50shot, then DP's.

That makes sense.  The plus of the meth or nitrous is also a good engine cleaning with each hit.

Switchgears32

Well with the snow kits, ive seen major leaking issues with the quick connect hoses also failure of pumps, but id love to use it, dont take it as its something i dont want to do, its something my tuner advised against which leaves me asking questions about what my next step should be, i just wot hit the car to often to have issues like that lol just being honest
K&N Drop in
Factory snorkel removed
Jlt catch can
Tuned with sct x4

Scott4957

Quote from: Switchgears32 on July 01, 2016, 04:13:17 PM
Well with the snow kits, ive seen major leaking issues with the quick connect hoses also failure of pumps, but id love to use it, dont take it as its something i dont want to do, its something my tuner advised against which leaves me asking questions about what my next step should be, i just wot hit the car to often to have issues like that lol just being honest

Yeah, from my personal experience I would avoid Snow. Look at Devils Own. The pumps are all the same, you just need to know how to install it properly and how to care for the pump. You can unscrew those quick connects and put whatever fittings you like on them, but I have had no issues with them. I am building an arduino based monitor for my meth kit to avoid what you are talking about. It will monitor voltage from the battery to the controller, voltage from the controller to the pump and flow from the tank to the low pressure side of the pump. All you will be looking at in the car are 3 green LED's. The first should be lit when the ignition is on, the second two will come on when your boost turns on the controller and in turn the pump. 3 greens means go! Don't get scared away from meth, best bang for the buck out there next to the tune itself!

ZSHO

Here is a great Discussion on mods and what to expect...hope this helps any.  Z  http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,808

bpd1151

I use Alky Controls setup & I learned that ALL OF THE pumps have what is termed a "duty cycle".

The duty cycle averages 3 years.

I had a pump crap on me, but it never caused a catastrophic failure.

Just as others have stated, your tune will compensate for it's (lack of) supply in the event of said failure. I know mine did.

But for sure the next bang for the buck, besides a tune alone, is the implementation of Methanol.

To the OP, good luck with your quest.