• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

To EBC/PowerStop or not... THAT is the question!

Started by 14SHOCAR, June 26, 2016, 05:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14SHOCAR

Hey all-- it's been a while since I've posted.... I'm curious of the collective opinion of this group. I've read multiple stories now of bad experiences with EBC red stuff wearing quickly, PowerStop rotors warping and fading on the track, and well, just overall mediocre results with aftermarket brake setups.

I need new brakes -- the brakes are starting to squeak at 54k.... So-- should I keep factory or go aftermarket? All input is always accepted and weighed.

Forgot to add -- my car is 2014 non-PP.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

bpd1151

Wilwood's or bust.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

14SHOCAR

Quote from: bpd1151 on June 26, 2016, 05:23:40 PM
Wilwood's or bust.

They pay you to say that lol? Jk they look sick. I saw your post on them.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

bpd1151

I have never received any compensation from any vendor. Not once.

I see a good product, and pass along the info. It helps everyone out.

Collectively as well as individually.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

glock-coma

I have ebc slotted with red stuff pads. They just started squealing at 14k....
The shims are getting oblong at the mount tab holes and wearing.
I would replace the pad but then I would have to turn the rotor. No one around me will turn a slotted rotor.

Before they started squealing I was very happen with them.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

How about OEM 2013+ PP setup? They seem to perform well at the track also.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

r1crusher

You may not be able to get EBC brakes for your year, fyi.  I was not able to get them when I was looking to rid my SHO of the shitty OEM rotors.  There was a permanent backorder on the rotors front and back with no ETA on producing them again.  That may have changed but it didn't look good when I inquired.

As for recommendations, I personally went with Powerstop's and couldn't be happier with them.  Now I don't abuse the s*** out of them such as road course/auto-x but above normal driving with some spirited back country road hauling they work very well for me.  I'd suspect they'd hold up just fine with some 1/4 mile track days also.

Take the bad stuff with a grain of salt...people who don't have issues with products don't usually say anything.  But you'll likely hear all the bad stuff about anything.

PS - I'd love me some Wilwood's but I don't have Donald Trump's money to buy them. :D
'13 SHO, AJP Tune w/ 3-Bar
'17 F-250 6.7 PowerStroke
'17 XSport

AJP turbo

I ordered a set of Yellow stuff front kit....The GD rotors and pads are on backorder until at least late july.

I think you can get redstuff now

The PP pads aren't too bad...I've beat them up pretty bad
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

irondoor19

I went the Power Stop Route, Lasted 4000 Miles and 1/2 Track Day,
yea,  i ride it like i stole it Most of the time (Every day is a track day)
Till I Ripped the Pad off one side, (only 20 Laps) and Grinding all the way Home..

EBC and Red, and I Am Way Way happy Now,  ;D
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

FoMoCoSHO

Gen 4.2 does 60-0 in 106 ft which is damn good and is better or equal to many performance cars.

Having owned PP and nonPP the only difference is fade resistance and pad noise. My nonPP howled when they were hot.

PP may have more initial bite when warm and provoked but that could be my imagination.

Wilwoods are beautiful, but I love my brakes and without any instrumented testing and my history with supposed "upgrades" I'm reluctant to gamble with that kind of cash outlay.

I'd say 54K out of the oem setup is a pretty good testament of its quality.

sholxgt

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on June 28, 2016, 01:46:44 PM
My nonPP howled when they were hot.

That is what mine do regularly due to the mountain area I am in.  Does not inspire confidence.  I am going to switch to the PP calipers.

Has anyone here tried StopTech slotted rotors?  We have the EBC Ultra's on our Fit and they are great.  Just trying to spend less money if possible.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

For heavyduty use, a plain rotor is going to be best.  Also make sure the rotor you select has high carbon content specifically listed.  Autozone stocks them for some applications.  I am pretty sure the StopTech rotors are also high carbon, but it's kinda difficult to make out from the jargon.  Best to call them and inquire about the application.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AnotherGreenFusion

Cryotreating/tempering can help a ton with extended and hard usage. Did it on my last car and the rotors lasted longer than anything else I had on that car. Plan to do it again when what is on the fusion stock is done.
'15 Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
CP-E Cold Side, Hot Side, αIntake, QKspl DP & RMM | Boomba Can | Cordova TB | Synapse Gen III BOV | Levels FMIC | 160* T-Stat | Steeda STB, Sway | Flatout 5700 | SCT by Unleashed/LMS 93v11

PM me for AMSOil @ Cost

peppelepugh

Quote from: glock-coma on June 26, 2016, 06:49:50 PM
I have ebc slotted with red stuff pads. They just started squealing at 14k....
The shims are getting oblong at the mount tab holes and wearing.
I would replace the pad but then I would have to turn the rotor. No one around me will turn a slotted rotor.

Before they started squealing I was very happen with them.

mine just squeaking recently as well... i forget how many miles, maybe 20k? but i haven't had the time to jack the car up and inspect....
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

14SHOCAR

Hey everyone -- thank you for the replies. I've had PowerStop rotors before as well, and I've had mixed results with them. My Olds Alero had great performance. My Grand Prix ate through the pads pretty quickly. My 2012 Impala was pretty good. My friend who has a Toyota 4 Runner has cracking + a bit of pre-mature brake fade when braking hard.

I do, however, love the look of a car with cross drilled brake pads.

Last -- Brake pads -- Red stuff sounds like bottom end -- what about yellow stuff?

14 Taurus SHO (Sold)