• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LMS Stage 4+ questions

Started by SoCalSHO, July 17, 2013, 12:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalSHO

Let me start off by saying that I have been running stage 3 tune since January '11, due to the fact that I did not know LMS made a stage 4 tune for 91 octane.

Now to my questions. I have the option of upgrading my X3 to the MyCal for a decent price. If I upgrade, I will be able to run all stages, to include 4+. I know it is entirely up to me and my driving style, but for those of you running Stage 4+, how do you compare it to stages 3/4. The person I was communicating with at LMS says that with 4+, i will avg 40+ hp more than regular stage 4, and carry out the boost to the shift point. As good as it sounds, just don't know if I want to spend the $. Do you all like the mycal? Also, what about some cons? Thanks all.
Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

DJE624

40 more HP than Stage 4/93 octane?  You need a Mycal?  Supposedly the Stage 4/93 adds 40-60HP.  This 4+ can add 80-100?   I'd like to hear more about this too! 

SoCalSHO

Unless I am misreading, I was only referring to 91 octane the whole time, here is the cut and paste.

"The stage 4 and 3 that you currently have are minimal difference, but the one that everyone wants is the 4+ since it ahs the ability to carry out the boost to the shift point, typically providing 40+ more hp than the stage 4 tune at higher rpm."

Also, what can you do with your mycal that you can't do with your X3.
Robert
2010 Met White
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

SoCalSHO

Only 4+ available for 91 octane is with the mycal.
Robert
2010 Met White
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

mjhpadi

Well, I have Stage 4+ with the SCT tuner and I can't believe that MyCal would get another 40 hp....but I know that Rick did say that the 4+ I have is now the Stage 4....but mine is for 93 octane.  But they also offered to upgrade me to MyCal at a reduced price, but I forgot to ask how much for the upgrade.  :bangin:
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

DJE624

The MyCal is supposed to be able to access more parameters.  I guess if he is speaking strictly 91 octane, you may be able to add 40 more HP going from the Stage 3 to the 4+ with the MyCal.  I may be wrong but I doubt the Stage 4+ is 40 more HP than the Stage 4/93.  Hopefully Chris will see this and straighten all these Stages and octanes out.  I'll send him a link to this thread. 

bpd1151

The MyCal Tuning device, allowed LMS to access a butt load of more tables over the SCT device.

In turn, the results did equate to the #'s you were quoted.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

DJE624

Mike, do you mean that a MyCal with Stage 4+/93 will give me another 40HP over my Stage 4/93 with the X3?

bpd1151

Yes.

I believe SCT was working on something similar if I recall correctly.

Maybe others who are more familiar with the SCT device, can provide insight as to their plans to compete with the MyCal device.

More discussion on the differences between the two, & what lies ahead for either device as far as options, will likely yield a better opportunity for those still sitting on the fence, as to whether or not upgrading to the MyCal device is beneficial to them.

A lot of the decision making i'm sure involves each individual considering their own driving habits, and/or desires as well.

DJE624

That kinda ticks me off.  I didn't know that when I bought just a month or so ago.  I wanted the best tune I could get.  All the discussions back then were about how the Mycal was necessary for the 2013's and that the Stage 4/93 with the X3 was the top for 2010-2012.  (Unless Methanol, Stage 5.)  I have asked Chris to visit this thread and hopefully give us a comprehensive description of all the tunes available. 

bpd1151

"Best tune you could get" given the limitations (from what was explained to me by Rick, before he left LMS) is what you got with the SCT device.

So I suppose in that aspect (not being privy to your convo), you received what you asked for.

Now, inquiring about what device, COMBINED with available tune offerings, is perhaps what should've really been asked.

To reiterate, I believe SCT is (or possibly has at this point) come up with a competing product to match the MyCal.

I don't keep up with the SCT updates as much as I used to since I sold my X3 tuner (like you currently have).

Understand, that ultimately, all of these offerings are "canned" tunes, & that if one is truly looking for the best dial in, of each car, & their mods, heading to the dyno is the best choice of any of the choices out there.

Larrylu

Quote from: mjhpadi on July 17, 2013, 01:01:28 AM
Well, I have Stage 4+ with the SCT tuner and I can't believe that MyCal would get another 40 hp....but I know that Rick did say that the 4+ I have is now the Stage 4....but mine is for 93 octane.  But they also offered to upgrade me to MyCal at a reduced price, but I forgot to ask how much for the upgrade.  :bangin:

Mark, remember way back when we were trying to figure out why some 4+ users were able to access the Grade Assist mystery mode?  I don't think anyone thought to ask about which tuner held the 4+ file. Maybe your SCT tuner is why you could not replicate the elusive Grade Assist mystery "Sport Mode". I love it when a missing piece to the puzzle finally shows up.
On second thought .....forget it....doesn't work. I think Mike had the SCT at that point and he had the Grade Assist almost from the get go. 
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

Brucelinc

Wow, just when I think I have the stages for the 2010-2012s figured out, I get more information that makes me go "huh?" 

I thought the original stage 4 had NO torque management.  When 4+ was introduced, some torque management was added but also it carried the increased boost all the way to the shift points.  The result was a tune that provided quicker times than the old stage 4 but also smoother daily driving characteristics.  My understanding from Rick was that 4+ replaced stage 4 so they  just dropped the "+" and referred to it as stage 4.  That is the tune that I run using the SCT and 93 octane or higher is required.  The difference between that and stage 3 is substantial on my car - much nicer shifts and a helluva lot stronger performance.

I know more parameters can be reached with the MyCal and and Rick confirmed that after I purchased the SCT device.  He mentioned minimal HP/track time differences but I will defer to others who have actually put their cars on the dyno or run them at the track.

FLIP-4-SHO

Wow. This thread is getting interesting. Performance wise this is my next mod.

While out & about in meh SHO!

2011 Taurus SHO - 402A, PP pkg's - Multi-Contour Seats, Eibach Springs, AiRaid Intake, Custom Exhaust, TWIN TURBO & SHO Hood stripes, 2013 Fender vents, Tinted Glass... Michelin Pilot Super Sports 255/45-20 on stk PP rims

On Deck in order: Wheels, Big Brake kit, Grill & door handle paint, LED lights everywhere. Last but not least... A Tune

darreli

Quote from: Brucelinc on July 17, 2013, 09:05:52 AM
Wow, just when I think I have the stages for the 2010-2012s figured out, I get more information that makes me go "huh?" 

I thought the original stage 4 had NO torque management.  When 4+ was introduced, some torque management was added but also it carried the increased boost all the way to the shift points.  The result was a tune that provided quicker times than the old stage 4 but also smoother daily driving characteristics.  My understanding from Rick was that 4+ replaced stage 4 so they  just dropped the "+" and referred to it as stage 4.  That is the tune that I run using the SCT and 93 octane or higher is required.  The difference between that and stage 3 is substantial on my car - much nicer shifts and a helluva lot stronger performance.

I know more parameters can be reached with the MyCal and and Rick confirmed that after I purchased the SCT device.  He mentioned minimal HP/track time differences but I will defer to others who have actually put their cars on the dyno or run them at the track.

You have it right...the difference in 93 octane tunes isn't going to be 40hp just by going to the MyCal. The MyCal is a better option because of the parameters Dan has thru the software.

SCT may change devices (BPD) but is the programming software that allows access to the parameters..not the device