• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Is our hpfp used in any other di?

Started by tgambob, April 22, 2016, 03:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgambob

Thank you for that. That's why I ask so many dumb questions. The fact that there seem to be so many variables and tables in the ecu now make much more sense since everything has to be attributed beforehand. So even if you could Supply more fuel would the system actually utilize it then? Since it's looking at the timing of the pump on its cam lobe that would be a small issue. I didn't think they would actually be looking at the pressure wave of the pump stroke and taking that into effect on the rail pressure
2010 non pp. Air raid, sct itsx, unleashed 93 boost, 3 bar, ngk

Scott4957

In this article they show that the 3.5 that they use in the ford GT is nearly identical to ours, but they do in fact use a Bosch pump on each bank like someone else suggested.

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1505-exclusive-look-at-the-engine-that-could-power-fords-all-new-gt/
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

BiGMaC

Quote from: Scott4957 on May 13, 2016, 08:28:53 PM
In this article they show that the 3.5 that they use in the ford GT is nearly identical to ours, but they do in fact use a Bosch pump on each bank like someone else suggested.

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1505-exclusive-look-at-the-engine-that-could-power-fords-all-new-gt/
Interesting that they only run about 10psi boost to get that power.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

AJP turbo

Quote from: BiGMaC on May 13, 2016, 08:40:50 PM
Quote from: Scott4957 on May 13, 2016, 08:28:53 PM

Interesting that they only run about 10psi boost to get that power.

Well the redline is higher and they are using race gas and the turbos are much bigger.....my single turbo civic runs 400 whp at 10 psi on pump gas....its all about airflow....bigger turbos move much more
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

panther427

Generally speaking higher boost equals higher intake temps. Its all about cfm. The more cfm at the lowest boost and temp is what you want. Higher boost can also be do to. Higher restrictions in the intake tract. The race motor has optimized air intake.  Its all matched between engine rpm. Turbo efficiency. Cam and desired power band. 
2013 SHO

Scott4957

I think the main take away is that they have already built an engine with two hpfp's. Is it more difficult to get the hard parts or the ability to control them?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

AJP turbo

I'd say hard parts.

Those turbos are probably good for 1000hp so I'm not surprised at the output...All about airflow....Temps can be fixed by intercoolers and racegas

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

tgambob

I thought the gt uses the 3.5 phase 2 which shared nothing going but the displacement? Also the list the 2015 sho as having dual variable cam but I thought we just had the intake and the trucks had both? On to other things I wonder if that head is a whole new casting or a machined production head for that second fuel pump. Or maybe they simply machined it to have 2 of the same heads? That sounds about the easiest way to do it one would think.

tgambob

Ok after some more poking around I keep coming up with roush yates saying it's stock heads with no real machining, so could it be as easy as getting a second fuel pump pedestal and cam ( well valve covers but those look like sheet metal jobs) and have 2 pumps? All the pics seem to show it on the right place on the head for just using the pedestal on the other side.

AJP turbo

Yes get on it...so then you need to tap into the low pressure fuel line and run that to the new high pressure pump. Then run the new high pressure fuel with lines and fittings that can handle 3000 psi to the existing line and into the rail

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Scott4957

Quote from: AJP turbo on May 16, 2016, 06:28:29 PM
Yes get on it...so then you need to tap into the low pressure fuel line and run that to the new high pressure pump. Then run the new high pressure fuel with lines and fittings that can handle 3000 psi to the existing line and into the rail
Easy peasy

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

tgambob

Sadly that is the easy part. Pirteck hose guy is at my shop about every other day and can get me about any fitting you can imagine. 3000 isn't that much I won't even put a hose or fitting rated for under 5k on any piece of forestry equipment. If nothing else I will use the fittings off of one of the junk diesels, common rail fittings should hold up just fine. Nothing that a tig and a redneck mentality can't fix

Scott4957

Quote from: tgambob on May 16, 2016, 10:18:29 PM
Sadly that is the easy part. Pirteck hose guy is at my shop about every other day and can get me about any fitting you can imagine. 3000 isn't that much I won't even put a hose or fitting rated for under 5k on any piece of forestry equipment. If nothing else I will use the fittings off of one of the junk diesels, common rail fittings should hold up just fine. Nothing that a tig and a redneck mentality can't fix

I agree, that is the easy part. I was talking about getting the other parts. If we can source those someone will do it!

tgambob

Well I just bought that hpfp mount off ebay for 30 bucks, comes with the cam follower. Now the question will be if this thing just bolts in place of cam caps or not. Can't really find a good exploded diagram or parts callout.  I'm trying to find a random set of heads off a 3.5 but they seem to be non existent, I figured I could pick up a set off a blown motor but so far no luck. I wonder if just using 2 of the same intake cam will work

SHOdded

Isn't there an exta lobe on the cam just to run the HPFP?  You'd have to see if you could mirror that cam to the other head.

AA5Z-6250-B   CAMSHAFT
TAURUS SHO; PRODUCTION ENGINES ONLY; INTAKE; LEFT
$160.85   $110.99   

AA5Z-6250-A   CAMSHAFT
TAURUS SHO; PRODUCTION ENGINES ONLY; INTAKE; RIGHT
$80.47   $55.52   

https://s3.amazonaws.com/rparts-illustrations/strapr1/c30cd25cf555cd65fa0e61e7a2411e11/52d81df44bf51c5221508771c3b3c2f0.png

This is a pic of the cams from an F150, SHO should be similar.  2nd cam from top I believe.

Discussion of the arrangement on a Focus ST:
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/2334-high-pressure-fuel-pump-follower-question.html

Other details on the 2.0EB for those interested:
http://www.full-race.com/articles/ford-fusion-ecoboost-history.html

Arrangement on the 2.3 EB (4 lobe roller instead of flat tappet):

An older post, but a peek into the Focus ST DI design:
http://www.ecoboostforums.org/ford-focus-st-fuel-system-the-story-of-direct-injection-lessons-already-learned/

Upgraded cam follower in the VAG market:
http://hpfpupgrade.com/Products/Show/Audi/2.0T+FSI/Audi+FSI+Performance+Cam+Follower
QuoteWhat makes our cam follower different?

The basic design of our cam follower is different over the OEM unit.  We moved the holes from the face of the cam follower to the edge.  This move in the holes will aid in lubrication to the face of the cam follower.  We made our cam followers from a different material, this material has been used in lifter, cam shaft buckets and shims for the last 30 years.  Why the OEM FSI cam follower is made of tool steel... no idea.  We have added material to the surface contact to eliminate defection and our cam follower face to wall interface has a taper down design that shares the load through the transition.

The most important part of our cam follower is the hard chrome face.  The hard chrome has been used for years in lifters, cam shaft buckets, and shims in many different applications.  These other applications have seen loads more than double the load of a FSI fuel pump at 150 bar of fuel pressure.  The technical details are all over the internet showing the benefits of hard chrome for this application, why the OEM cam follower doesn't use hard chrome... no idea.

During our testing we tried several different coatings, ranging from dry film lubricants to VPD applications.  We had followers with DLC coatings and every coating that 3M makes.  We even tried some armory coatings for weapons production.  With all the testing we didn't find a single coating that could compare or perform at the level our hard chrome could.  The coefficient friction of hard chrome is better dry than most of the other coatings tested wet.  Hard chrome wet testing had more than two times the coefficient friction "lubricity" of any wet test from the others.  This was a case of trying to make a better part, but the best was already tested, tried and trued for us... hard chrome was the solution.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!