• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What oil does everyone use?

Started by Auggie, April 14, 2016, 06:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auggie

Just read all nine pages on this topic and I changed the oil last month(7800 miles)on my 2015 SHO non PP with 22500 miles on the od. I use Pennzoil 5W-30 conventional oil and a Fram Tough Guard oil filter. I will do my next oil change when the oil change monitor tells me to. Some thoughts on oil color: You should check your oil level when the oil is cold and you should check your oil for color when the oil is hot. If you do this you will see that the oil color when hot is much different then when you check it cold. Cold oil is very dark at even 3000 miles but still very clear hot at 8000 miles. Some thoughts on Anti-Freeze: Prestone has an Anti-Freeze that you can use in any model car and with any color anti-freeze. Just saying :).

Auggie   

SHOdded

Should not be using conventional oil at all in these engines if you want them to last, unless you plan on doing oil changes every 3,000 miles or less.  The IOLM assumes you are following the recommendation in the owner's manual at a minimum (Motorcraft Synblend).  Yes, there are conventional oils that are certified to the same standard, doesn't mean they will last as long as syn blend or full synthetic.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pmezo33

Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic for oil and motorcraft oil filter.  The 2010's called for 5w20.

For coolant, use motorcraft.  I use their specialty green for my models year.  I believe they use the orange stuff for the later models.  I'd never use that prestone one size fits all stuff unless in an emergency situation.  And then I'd flush it all out and replace with motorcraft.

FoMoCoSHO

Quantum Blue custom blended 7.5W35 with a custom Quantum Blue filter courtesy of BND automotive.

BiGMaC

Amsoil signature synthetic 5w30 (2013+). MC OEM filter. Every 5K miles. Oil always looks new, even when I've been beating the bull a bit.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Auggie

Well, I went to the Pennzoil web site and they say that the 5W-30 conventional oil meets all requirements. I traded in a Chrysler 300 C 5.7 Hemi(MDS) that had 97000+ for the SHO and used nothing but Penn's 10W-30 conventional oil with no problems what so ever. I changed oil every 7500 miles and it would be down a qt in around 6000 miles but I never added any because it had 7 qts. The 15 SHO took exactly 5 qts and was right on the full mark. OH, by the way has anyone checked their oil cold and hot for color ?? 

Auggie

66 Galaxie

I agree with what Shodded said a few posts earlier.
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

Night Hawk

2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

Ryan02Stang

I use Motorcraft Synthetic blend in all my Fords.  Also use Motorcraft oil filters.
2015 Explorer Sport
2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, Unleashed
2002 Mustang GT, Vortech Supercharged

AJP turbo

No fake hydro cracked petroleum group iii here...nothing but the best for me...0-30 amsoil signature real synthetic group iv oil

It allows me to run more boost with stock plugs and t-stat lol
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

mmh64

I use whatever Mobil 5w20 is on sale. Not because of all the confusing performance specs but they gave me a free hat once.
2010 SHO, Livernois 93 4+x 3-bar tune.

TX MKS-T

Mobil EP 5w20 with K&N filter here.
2010 MKS-T * K&N Drop In/Power Stop Rotors
2007 Tundra TRD 5.7 - The Toy Hauler
2014 Mitsu Outlander - Kid Hauler

AJP turbo

Quote from: mmh64 on April 15, 2016, 07:57:32 AM
I use whatever Mobil 5w20 is on sale. Not because of all the confusing performance specs but they gave me a free hat once.

I like that reason!
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

panther427

I have used royal purple, Fords synthetic, Liqui Molly, and currently Castrol gold bottle with Fram ultra.

I generally just pick up one of the oil change special from the parts stores that I want.

Big difference between a 5.7 hemi and a direct injected turbo motor.    But I would at least go with the synthetic blend
2013 SHO

DakotaSHO

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 w/motorcraft filter, changed every 2,500 miles
2011 SHO- Roush cai
2011 Ford Mustang GT - Boss im, Kooks LT's, Circle D 4C converter, JLT cai ~ 11.7@117mph
SOLD - 2011 Ford Taurus SHO (non pp)
LMS catless downpipes, windstorm cai, 160 Tstat, SP534 Plugs,3 bar, LMS 4+ tune, rear muffler delete
Best et: 13.09@105mph on LMS 93 4x tune