• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tranny Blues

Started by Dxlnt1, March 18, 2016, 10:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dxlnt1

Quote from: 66 Galaxie on March 19, 2016, 03:48:57 PM
Quote from: Dxlnt1 on March 18, 2016, 10:41:56 PM
Is there anyone that's halfway, almost, a little bit, maybe might have potentially kept up with my car?

At any rate, my transmission is going out! AGAIN! Needless to say I am NOT a happy camper. Not worried about money as I have extended warranty to cover. Ford rebuilt this transmission about 12k miles ago. (just over 1 1/2 year). If this is the craftsmanship, reliability and workmanship that Ford is putting out, then I might just be done. Car will be at dealer on Monday or Tuesday. Car may be for sale the following Monday or Tuesday.

Anyway, car shutters. Meaning at a slow acceleration car jumps, stumbles and bumps. 3rd gear is the worse but gears 3-6 are all doing it. 3rd and 6th gear just more pronounced. To test I reloaded tune. Same problem. Loaded stock tune, even worse. Has anyone else had this many problems with Ford transmissions?

So shudder is only gears 3-6 and usually under light acceleration.
When it does it try putting light pressure on the brake pedal and see if it goes away.  If it does go away it could be the torque converter locking up and unlocking which means bad torque converter.

Test drove car today. Tried your thingamajig test for converter. Made no difference. What I did notice though was engine surging and hunting. I turn on cruise control and engine hunting. Maybe a 500 rpm swing, but no change is vehicle speed, downshift or anything else indicative of engine speed change. So Im a little stumped now.
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

BiGMaC

Tranny speed sensor trouble?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

AJP turbo

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Might be a MAP sensor (or both) going bad.  Try cleaning them first with MAF cleaner.  Check torque converter PIDs to see if it is going in/out of lockup mode when you see the "surge".
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Any change in fuel trims?

Any smoke out the rear when its happening?

Dxlnt1

Car now in dealers hand. Diagnosis is (of course this what computer says) Bad valve body ($2.), bad solenoid body ($420), bad torque converter ($740). So roughly $1000 for parts and $3000 labor. Waiting extended warranty approval for repairs. I will be hitting Ford hard on Monday or Tuesday.

Dealer says none of the "bad" parts were replaced when tranny repaired before, therefore Ford will NOT warranty.

As for engine surging, transmission tech believes its related to solenoid being bad. We will see.
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

SHOdded

They better cover the repair.  Obviously this is an extension of the previous problem with the trans.  Replacing things bit by bit.  A new trans would likely have been better!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

CroR1

I don't get it, why does it matter if the parts  were not replaced previously, if you have an extended warranty... Bunch of bs.

ZSHO

I'm hoping this is the same dealer that serviced your trans a couple of years ago!! cannot play the (blame game).  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Dxlnt1

Quote from: SHOdded on March 26, 2016, 04:26:10 AM
They better cover the repair.  Obviously this is an extension of the previous problem with the trans.  Replacing things bit by bit.  A new trans would likely have been better!

Quote from: CroR1 on March 26, 2016, 07:41:03 AM
I don't get it, why does it matter if the parts  were not replaced previously, if you have an extended warranty... Bunch of bs.

The problem with that will be proving its an extension of prior repair. To help my case, I have 2 trips to dealer with complaints of transmission issues after the repair. So that documentation should help that there has ALWAYS been an issue and its just now manifested into this.

Quote from: ZSHO on March 26, 2016, 08:06:36 AM
I'm hoping this is the same dealer that serviced your trans a couple of years ago!! cannot play the (blame game).  Z

And NO its NOT the same dealership. The one that did previous repairs was sold. And most all service records were lost or not transferred to Ford. The dealership I found is a performance friendly venue and even asked about if I installed a tune and other mods. The owner drives a '15 SHO.

FoMoCoSHO

DX is your extended warranty Ford ESP?

Dxlnt1

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 26, 2016, 02:09:43 PM
DX is your extended warranty Ford ESP?

No its not. Didn't buy car from Ford dealer so that wasn't an option.

Dxlnt1

Warranty company finally approved work. Its still an ongoing fight but that's another story. They are sending a "replacement" unit to be installed. So I have no clue if it is new, used or rebuilt. Will find out on Monday. Part is coming from LKQ parts. A national auto parts distributor. I cant tell from there website if they offer used parts, so Im thinking the trans is a completely rebuilt unit. We will see.

SHOdded

Time will tell what trans the SHO ends up getting, but I have only ever seen LKQ provide used parts (check EBay).  Here's to hoping I am wrong!

66 Galaxie

Looks like it could be used or possibly rebuilt.  Searching I found that they are a recycler that also seem to offer rebuilt transmissions.

May want to check the fine print of your extended warranty.
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost