• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

OEM GLASS UPDATE & FINDINGS

Started by zamirlihari, October 09, 2015, 02:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

I just wanted to start off by thanking everyone for all there help and support during this 3 month wait for an oem windshield,let me start off by saying the guys at Quality auto glass were truly professionals and knew exactly what they were doing especially having a built in camera on the windshield,let me just make this brief and try to (update)an important issue that many of you currently have or had after having your windshield replaced,found out the flapping noise at highway speeds is caused by a missing clip on the cowl cover.

There are two clips that hold down the cover in place and prevents it from moving,there is one on each end of the cover located inside the engine bay right above the strut tower,(pics below)also if the cowl cover is not properly seated on the bottom windshield moulding it will also cause the noise,found out the best option would be to remove the cover and clean any dirt buildup with an alcohol swab thoroughly and then re-install,also was able to obtain some pics of that unique built in camera,pics below and hope this helps someone out,thanks.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

A veritable font of information :)  Glad the glass ordeal is over, back to riding the mean streets of NY with impunity!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I forgot to mention that this was my first time having my windshield changed,and just wanted to clarify an important note,a while back safelite did remove the wiper arms and cowl cover until they realized they had the wrong windshield and then put the parts back,now if you look at the two above pics you will see that there are two different clips on each end,the reason for that is because safelite lost one after removing the cowl cover,the oe is gray in color and those two clips play an important role in holding the cover in place and prevent it from flapping,and there is (no special tool needed)to re-install the camera cover,think i bored you enough with my quandary.  BTW these are the clips needed X2 

http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/taurus/w709919s438/2013-year/sho-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/cowl-scat/?part_name=cowl-grille-clip

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

66 Galaxie

Just glad your saga is over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

SM105K

I am resurrecting this thread. 

Z, I now know the difference in the Carlite OEM Soundscreen and the complete junk that Safelite replaced it with. Do Ford Dealerships replace windshields?  I have always used Safelite, however I want my stock OEM windshield back.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

ZSHO

Quote from: SM105K on April 12, 2019, 09:53:11 AM

Z, I now know the difference in the Carlite OEM Soundscreen and the complete junk that Safelite replaced it with. Do Ford Dealerships replace windshields?  I have always used Safelite, however I want my stock OEM windshield back.
Its from my personal experience that the Ford Dealer does NOT INSTALL Windshields AFAIK!
I was referred to Quality Auto Glass from my Ford dealer which Specially ordered the Cartlite windshield through Geico and has many Locations throughout the U.S. Z

SM105K

Quote from: ZSHO on April 12, 2019, 10:35:16 AM
Quote from: SM105K on April 12, 2019, 09:53:11 AM

Its from my personal experience that the Ford Dealer does NOT INSTALL Windshields AFAIK!
I used Quality Auto Glass which Specially ordered the Cartlite windshield through Geico and has many Locations throughout the US. Z

Good to know Z.  Guess I will call Safelite and ask them about a OEM replacement.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

shaundizzle15

You can get OEM glass from Safelite but you have to specifically ask for it. They tried to sell me OEE and I promptly refused the glass as I asked for specifically for OEM. I do think they didn't replace my clips though because I had the flapping that Z had mentioned.
Hockey/Golf/Car geek, Beagle loving, and totally comfortable with it.
Tuxedo Black nonPP 2013 SHO traded in
Shadow Black nonPP 2016 SHO
VTA, and tuned by GH

SM105K

Quote from: shaundizzle15 on April 12, 2019, 10:39:25 AM
You can get OEM glass from Safelite but you have to specifically ask for it. They tried to sell me OEE and I promptly refused the glass as I asked for specifically for OEM. I do think they didn't replace my clips though because I had the flapping that Z had mentioned.

That is what I like to hear.

shaundizzle15

It was pretty painless other than doing it back to back years  :chop:. Brutal roads and cold patch here in MI. I would definitely monitor your clips. Also Z, did you notice any difference in your auto sensing wipers after the replacement? Mine were slower after the switch, not sure if they didn't re calibrate the camera correctly ?
VTA, and tuned by GH

SM105K

Quote from: shaundizzle15 on April 12, 2019, 11:00:01 AM
It was pretty painless other than doing it back to back years  :chop:. Brutal roads and cold patch here in MI. I would definitely monitor your clips. Also Z, did you notice any difference in your auto sensing wipers after the replacement? Mine were slower after the switch, not sure if they didn't re calibrate the camera correctly ?

I got my windshield replaced about 9 months ago.  The replacement is complete junk.  It is already pitted and chipped in numerous places.  Probably 15k miles on it.  Only 2.5k in the past 6 month..

My OEM had something hit it on the freeway.  I didn't see what it was, but it sounded like a gunshot when it happened.  I thought it hit the "A" pillar, however it took the windshield out.  I could fit a quarter in the gap when the OEM windshield started splitting.  I posted the photo below.

ZSHO

Quote from: shaundizzle15 on April 12, 2019, 11:00:01 AM
Sorry Sean did not see the question! No issues with mine and working as designed.
I would try to remove the Rear view mirror cover and make sure the wires are intact. Sometimes loose wires will not provide the poper conductuity.
The wires are shown on my below thread.  Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,9669.0.html

shaundizzle15

No worries Z that was on my 2013, Dang that crack is intense
VTA, and tuned by GH

SM105K

Quote from: shaundizzle15 on April 12, 2019, 12:41:48 PM
No worries Z that was on my 2013, Dang that crack is intense

I still want to know what did that.

Macgyver

Quote from: shaundizzle15 on April 12, 2019, 10:39:25 AM

I had mine replaced early in the fall last year. Yup You need to ask for OEM. Safelite's mechanic was excellent. He was excited to do a SHO and that the car was clean. He said you wouldn't believe what he had to install in.

Explained about the windshield setting up and the in-windshield camera etc etc. Very good job cept for "them" trying to get away with a non oem pc of glass. That was not the Mechanics fault.