• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

'13 w/ Wheel Hub Bad...while on vacation no less...

Started by r1crusher, August 25, 2015, 12:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r1crusher

So I left for vacation from Ohio to Kiawah Island, SC for a week this past Saturday.  I had new tires put on as well as a power stop brake kit a week prior.  I noticed that I had some vibration in the front end and figured it was a combination of worn out tires and the pos OE rotors on the front.  Well...the problem didn't go away and I hit the road with it anyway.  During the trip the vibrations got worse and were very evident when driving at 60-75mph.  What was odd was I did not notice any grinding/growling you'd normally associate with a bad wheel hub.  Just a lot of vibrations.

So I called Palmetto Ford here in Charleston first thing Monday morning at 7am just to see if there was anything they could do to get me in and fix the car.  Well they snuck me in that day and they put me in a rental car for 2 days (thankfully I had purchased the Premium Care warranty).  So I drop the car off and explain my problem.  This morning I get a call from Palmetto Ford and the service advisor said that the car has a bad wheel hub assembly.  They're going to try to get it fix today if they get the part but no later than tomorrow.

I have never ever had a wheel hub assembly go bad on a car, make little noise but vibrate then entire car.  I just hope that's all it is and my car will be returned to me driving nice and smooth like it used to.  I'm thankful I left my 2-bar sensor and tuner in the car so I can put it back to stock before taking it in but I did have to go by some tools to put it back to stock.

It sucked working on a hot car in 85 degree heat with 70+ percent humidity...but I got it done and my car is getting fixed so I'm thankful for that.

Props to Palmetto Ford in Charleston, SC for taking care of an out of towner so quickly.
'13 SHO, AJP Tune w/ 3-Bar
'17 F-250 6.7 PowerStroke
'17 XSport

SHOdded

Hope the SHO is back to fighting shape ASAP!  Get those vacay plans unkinked soon!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

PokerMunkee

2013 SHO PP - Ignot Silver/Charcoal
Unleashed 91 tune w/ 3BAR, Corsa exhaust, LEDs everywhere
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

ZSHO

X2 VERY ODD,not sure if you have the PP but had my front hubs(wheel bearings)replaced twice along with thrust washers under warranty,but never experienced any shaking or vibrations to say the least,only a metal ting sound when turning the steering wheel and entering/exiting the vehicle,  BTW did you ever try rotating the wheels to see if any are possibly bent inside.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

I have a 14' and my driver side is clicking when I'm still and turning the wheel back and forth..I have 12k
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

PokerMunkee

My hubs were replaced at 8K miles for the ticking.  Now at 24K the ticking is back.  Dreading taking it back to the dealer, might live with it.
2013 SHO PP - Ignot Silver/Charcoal
Unleashed 91 tune w/ 3BAR, Corsa exhaust, LEDs everywhere
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

r1crusher

I never heard any clicking, ticking, grinding, etc. of any kind.  There was an ever so slight hum that was clear if you really listened for it when turning the wheel left at speed (say 50-60+mph).  I thought for sure the issue was with the half shaft or the PTU as I said previously I've never experienced a bad wheel bearing throw so much vibration into the drive train.  I also had the half shaft inspection done already and it was given the all clear.

The wheels were rotated a couple times actually.  Once when the tires were installed and again when I put the new power stop brakes on so they've been around the car a couple times in the span of a week and a half, def. not the issue.  The vibrations were always from the front right it seemed.  Oh, and I'm an non-PP also.

The 3-bar and tune will be going back on as soon as I get it back to the condo.  LOL!

In any case...here's a little pano pic of the vacation from our condo...

Ocean storm...
'17 XSport

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

r1crusher

Well, we've been home for a week now but after letting the car sit overnight and having to head to play some bball on Friday morning my car is still having some kind of issue with the front driveline.  The issue, while on vacation, appeared to be something with the front right side of the car.  After it was fixed I never had an opportunity to test it like I could when back home.

The problem now appears to emanating from the front left side...very similar to previously where if the car sits overnight you get in it and head right out and drive it to about 60-65 the whole front of the car shakes pretty good but it feels like the drivers side only this time.  I'm betting that I have bad front left hub as well given replacing the left side did help but did not completely fix the issue.

Guess I'll be calling up the dealership and making another appointment to take it in...again.  :(
'17 XSport

ZSHO

It doesnt sound good as the vibration and shaking can lead to more components failing on the front end if not taken care of a.s.a.p, would of been great if they performed both sides,hopefully by fixing the other side it will be back to shoroom condition.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

r1crusher

I know Z...and that's why I sucked it up while on vacation to get it in any place that would take it before driving 9 hours back home. The closest place where I live is a very small dealership that has yet to even complete the door handle recall because "there is a shortage of replacement parts".  The service adviser in Charleston where I took my car to get the hub fixed said that parts have been coming in for a while there for that fix.  The next dealership is an hour plus way and because their so big it sometimes takes a while to get it in and forget about a loaner most of the time.

I guess I'll try the smaller place first and see how credible they can be with the drive train...haven't been too impressed so far with them.
'17 XSport

r1crusher

So I just got the call from the dealership about my problems.  They were finishing up with the door handle recall...finally after waiting 6 months for them to do it.  But more importantly my vibrations are from 2 "severely" bent rims.  No I have no idea how this could have happened as I know for sure I didn't not hit anything other than normal driving...potholes, etc.  I'm a little confused as I had new tires installed 3-4 weeks ago and the installer never said a single word about them being bent or difficult to balance AND Palmetto Ford replaced a wheel hub and said they fixed the problem which they didn't.  The service guy said that all of the tires were out of balance actually and they did the best they could with the two bent wheels.  I guess I'll be making an ins. claim to get them replaced because I don't have $1600+ for two new wheels.

I'm just really confused as I don't believe I caused the damage.  I can't say that the tire installers caused it obviously.  And I can only assume the new diagnosis is right.  I plan on getting the car this afternoon and then later this evening removing the two wheels they've identified as being bent to check them myself.  I just don't understand because when I put the brakes on before my trip I cleaned all 4 wheels before installing them again and did not notice anything wrong with them.

:banghead:
'17 XSport

ZSHO

I'M glad you finally got to the bottom it and quite honestly many dealers or tires installers have unexperienced kids installing and balancing tires which many dont care or dont know how to perform a proper high speed road force balancing which takes more time,BTW did mention the possibility of bent rims above.lol   Z

glock-coma

I see your in ohio. Try blackburns wheels in Macedonia. I picked up a used wheel for $190 a few years ago. Looked brand new. This was for 2010 so it didn't have the flower wheels 

http://www.blackburnwheels.com
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

r1crusher

Quote from: ZSHO on September 10, 2015, 01:57:53 PM
I'M glad you finally got to the bottom it and quite honestly many dealers or tires installers have unexperienced kids installing and balancing tires which many dont care or dont know how to perform a proper high speed road force balancing which takes more time,BTW did mention the possibility of bent rims above.lol   Z

Well Z... :) ...I ruled out any physical wheel problems because one would think that the tire installer would have informed me of any bent wheels when the new tires went on.

So, I had to pay to get them balanced again at $56.  Not being someone to pay for something twice I promptly went back to the tire store to talk to the owner and explain my recent findings.  Needless to say he wasn't really interested in refunding me the $56 for re-balancing which should have been done right the first time, IMO.  I didn't think that was so far fetched and out of line.  Instead he tried to blame the dealership for balancing them again and said he'd give them a call to get THEM to refund the $56.  This statement just really confused the s*** out of me adding to his not wanting to do the right thing.  On top of all that he tells me that he didn't really make any money on selling me the tires.  I'm thinking well that's not my problem, you gave me the price and sold them to me.  So I decided to push the issue and I pulled out my papers from having to get a new wheel hub installed at $100 because of the out of balance tire on the front right (which had the worst out of balance).  He just said that there's no way a wheel that's off by 2.5 oz. would cause a hub to fail prematurely.

The service guy at the dealership was really good about what they found and offered me a couple different options to help me get the wheels fixed/replaced.  The balances were off on every single wheel by as little as .75 oz to as much as 2.5oz!  There's over 6 oz. of weights on one of the bent wheels.  So I get under the car to look at the wheels more closely and I realize that the lips were not bent outward like what would be typical of say a pothole hit, etc.  The lips are actually bent inward which I just can't rationalize how they would do that.

I'm going to give the ins. co. a call tomorrow and see what they say about me making a claim on the wheels.  I have a written quote for new ones from the dealer at around $900 ea.  If they will cut me the check directly I'll be doing some shopping for maybe something different or just two replacements and saving some $$$ or whatever comes to mind.  I did find a complete set of '14-15 wheels for $1300...just not sure if I can give up the flower power.  :D
'17 XSport