• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

'13 w/ Wheel Hub Bad...while on vacation no less...

Started by r1crusher, August 25, 2015, 12:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

One thing about alloy wheels has always distressed me:  the ease with which they crack or get bent out of shape despite their purported strength.  Hope you get it worked out with your insurance company, but the installer really should have noticed bent wheels when they had to put 6 oz on there to balance one!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

PokerMunkee

Rotate the wheels to the back to see if the problem goes away?

Sounds odd, I'm not sure who I would believe.  Be nice to swap wheels with another '13 SHO just to know.

If it started on your trip, then the wheels must have got bent while driving on your trip. 

2013 SHO PP - Ignot Silver/Charcoal
Unleashed 91 tune w/ 3BAR, Corsa exhaust, LEDs everywhere
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

ZSHO

I am just quoting what my service advisor recommended performing a high speed road force balancing,will try to obtain the work order.  Z      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxVAssnbp8

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

BiGMaC

Quote from: ZSHO on September 11, 2015, 10:26:59 AM
I am just quoting what my service advisor recommended performing a high speed road force balancing,will try to obtain the work order.  Z      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxVAssnbp8
Great vid to explain it Z! Thanks for posting.
I can testify, from my current Ford truck, that it doesn't always do it.... Remember when there were shops that could "shave" tires to make them round?
Still, trying the tire/wheel combos from another vehicle and being sure they are road force balanced (aka indexed) is the place to start to do a systematic diagnosis... May even have to move the tires to different wheels (wheels are not uniformly round or weight distributed either!) may be required.... If these things don't work then the case for a suspension, hub, etc problem is made.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

r1crusher

Quote from: PokerMunkee on September 11, 2015, 09:49:43 AM
Rotate the wheels to the back to see if the problem goes away?

Sounds odd, I'm not sure who I would believe.  Be nice to swap wheels with another '13 SHO just to know.

If it started on your trip, then the wheels must have got bent while driving on your trip. 

The tires were installed 6 days prior to my trip to S.C. The car sat for all but 2 days and I dove it very shortly on the same roads I always do here plus the trip south was all highway so the roads were pretty much good from that stand point.  I'm fairly certain they were not bent during the trip.

The dealership did balance everything again (the bents as best they could) and move the good wheels to the front. I was feeling a LOT of vibrations from the front end and now it's all but gone...because the vibrations are from the back now.

Quote from: SHOdded on September 11, 2015, 05:17:39 AM...but the installer really should have noticed bent wheels when they had to put 6 oz on there to balance one!

^^^^ THIS!!!!!

Since the tire installer did not mention ANYTHING about the rims being bent I'm forced to consider what if they bent them somehow. Seems highly unlikely but the thought does cross my mind.

Regardless, at least I know for certain the cause of my problems so I just need to work on getting them replaced.

As always I appreciate everyone's input, thoughts, etc. on this seemingly crazy ordeal I've been dealing with. :thumb:
'13 SHO, AJP Tune w/ 3-Bar
'17 F-250 6.7 PowerStroke
'17 XSport

r1crusher

Well I filed an ins claim only to find out that it'll go on my collision which is a $500 deductible. :(

So with that in mind I figured I'd go and do some research for local wheel repair shops since that's probably what they'll force on me instead of new wheels.  I found a place not too far away in Cincinnati that can fix them in an afternoon no appointment necessary and only $110 a wheel on the car or $85 a wheel (off car and no tire).  I'm pretty sure I'll be cancelling that ins claim now. :D
'17 XSport

SHOdded

Good luck to ya!  Be nice to not wobble all over the place anymore.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

r1crusher

Man...I'm tellin' ya!!  This whole debacle has just about worn me down to the point of me just driving myself off a cliff.  :lol:
'17 XSport

SHOdded

Boggus

My new Explorer (Police Package) went in for a new passenger front wheel bearing - 800 miles
2013 unleashed SHO PP

SHOdded

Are they even putting in new bearings at the factory?  Incredible.

Boggus

And our other new explorer went in for a new heater core, spilled it's guts about at the same mileage.  2 of the 3 new ones are at the dealer.  Joy!
2013 unleashed SHO PP

ZSHO

Daamm, sounds like there plant in Mexico was opened earlier than anticipated.lol.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|