• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How often is everyone swapping tranny fluid?

Started by Shonuff1140, May 24, 2015, 07:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonuff1140

I have a non tuned 2011SHO and drive agressively, with no dedicated tranny cooler. I have almost 34,000 miles and fluid is still relatively clear.

Does Ford offer a warrantied full synthetic trans fluid that may make the longevity of our cars a bit better and run a bit cooler?

ecoboostsho

I added the cooler to my 11 and still change it every 35-40k...just because.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

SHOnUup

Did a 4 times drain and fill at about 45k...really made a huge difference.

At the track yesterday the tranny cooler on the 13+ models was noticeably doing its job....full 10* cooler after multiple runs.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOFan808

Hey just out of curiosity, only the 13+ PP models have a tranny cooler, correct?  If that is so, where can I get a tranny cooler for a non PP 2014?

jtoddk98

I have a 2011 and I change mine every 25k but I only do 1 drain and Fill instead of 4 like others. I recently started using this stuff called Lubegard atf protectant, it's great. It lives up to the claim of keeping temps 10* lower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

panther427

my trans is leaking between the case halfs so it will be changed soon for free.
2013 SHO

SHOdded

Quote from: panther427 on May 27, 2015, 11:08:17 PM
my trans is leaking between the case halfs so it will be changed soon for free.
Rarely hear of this happening, glad it's not OOP to you.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

JDW1

So, even though Ford recommends 150k miles, ppl are doing this every 40 or so?  I want to take care of the car and certainly prevent trans issues but i also don't want to waste money.  Is there any evidence that supports more frequent intervals? 
13 SHO, Unleashed 3bar Tune, 1 step cooler NGK's, MDesign CAI, 170 t-stat and meth.

AJP turbo

Amsolil say to follow the mfg's schedule for normal service and double what ever they say for severe service....i should trust that but cant help myself....i will change my amoil signature series lv atf  at about 50k and waste the money and fluid but oh well
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

If you are driving your vehicle more like a performance vehicle rather than at a conservative to moderate pace, you should definitely switch to the severe duty schedule if you want longevity.  It is cheaper, if you can DIY the maintenance items, in the long run, with fewer trips to the shop required.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

10bird

Quote from: SHOFan808 on May 27, 2015, 10:02:51 PM
Hey just out of curiosity, only the 13+ PP models have a tranny cooler, correct?  If that is so, where can I get a tranny cooler for a non PP 2014?

I have the same questions.

AJP turbo

Quote from: Shonuff1140 on May 24, 2015, 07:00:44 AM
I have a non tuned 2011SHO and drive agressively, with no dedicated tranny cooler. I have almost 34,000 miles and fluid is still relatively clear.

Does Ford offer a warrantied full synthetic trans fluid that may make the longevity of our cars a bit better and run a bit cooler?

Why are you worried about the fluid being Ford? You don't have to use Ford fluid for them to warranty your car.....Read about it, as long as the proper viscosity and fluid ratings and specs are met Ford can't deny based on fluid..

There are way better fluids available than what ford makes.....I would buy fluids from a company that makes fluids
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

JDW1

Are you guys removing the pan and swapping the filter as part of your DIY procedure? 
13 SHO, Unleashed 3bar Tune, 1 step cooler NGK's, MDesign CAI, 170 t-stat and meth.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on February 23, 2016, 12:38:45 PM
Quote from: Shonuff1140 on May 24, 2015, 07:00:44 AM

Why are you worried about the fluid being Ford? You don't have to use Ford fluid for them to warranty your car.....Read about it, as long as the proper viscosity and fluid ratings and specs are met Ford can't deny based on fluid..

There are way better fluids available than what ford makes.....I would buy fluids from a company that makes fluids
I would take that a step further. The minute I had a component failure, I would have the D-ship grab a fluid sample and send it out for analysis. Just in case.

SHOdded

Quote from: JDW1 on February 23, 2016, 01:34:26 PM
Are you guys removing the pan and swapping the filter as part of your DIY procedure? 
No pan and no filter per se in these transmissions.  You have to crack the case to get at the "permanent" screen.