• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU fluid change

Started by anthonylee337, February 23, 2015, 10:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonylee337

I have 18K miles on my SHO and was wondering about the lifetime fluid in the PTU. Is everyone getting this serviced and at what cost? My dealer didn't recommend it so from reading all the posts about getting this done now I'm confused!
2013 SHO tuxedo black ppkg LMS stage 4 K+N

SHOdded

Find a BG shop near you:
http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php

You are looking for someone who does driveline service (the gear looking symbol).  A Ford dealer and a Honda dealer are listed in the Slidell area, for instance, not sure what's close to you.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

southtxSHO

I need to do this before I install the meth kit
2011 SHO non PP
LMS 4 +tune
LMS Cai
LMS catted downpipes
12.89@ 105 MPH best time @ Edinburg Raceway

jtoddk98

Just do a drain and fill, if your local dealer won't do it, then find a trusted mom and pop place. My dealer charged me $60 to do it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

peppelepugh

Quote from: SHOdded on February 23, 2015, 11:03:10 PM
Find a BG shop near you:
http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php

You are looking for someone who does driveline service (the gear looking symbol).  A Ford dealer and a Honda dealer are listed in the Slidell area, for instance, not sure what's close to you.

So more or less, this is an easier solution if you can't do it yourself and your stealership won't do it for you? I was looking at calling a local mom/pop shop to have this done in the next couple weeks.

Also, I talked to someone about this who owned a flex. He said he did the following steps:
1. Put his car up on the lift.
2. Drained what fluid he could.
3. Back filled the PTU with E-85
4. Put the car in gear (idle only) just enough to get things moving/spinning.
5. Repeat process 2-3 times
6. top back off with gear oil

Thoughts anyone on this?
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

SHOdded

Only reason I would not use anything but PTU fluid for "cleaning" the gears would be to prevent cross-contamination.  The BG service is a good service if you can get it done, otherwise the steps listed (including rowing through the gears while at idle & parking brake on) are fine.  The HOWTO gives you a bit more information (for 2010-12):
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,1706.0.html
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

donky4444

Thanks for the link for BG service centers.  I found one less than 10 miles from my house and they quoted me at $160 to service it.  I'll have to get this done before going back to the strip this spring.  55k miles on the factory fluid and the last 20k of that has been tuned with my heavy foot so I know its time.
2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0tt with LMS tune

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

2015 X Sport LME 3 bar tune, LED Puddle and plate lights

SHOdded

Good luck, it may net you a tenth or more!  Did you get a quote for the RDU?

donky4444

Quote from: SHOdded on March 04, 2015, 02:12:16 PM
Good luck, it may net you a tenth or more!  Did you get a quote for the RDU?

No, I had the dealership do a trans flush and RDU last summer right before I went to the 4X tune and 3 Bar.
2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0tt with LMS tune

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

2015 X Sport LME 3 bar tune, LED Puddle and plate lights

IHeartGroceries

You better be damn sure you're flushing out your solvent . Solvents reduce a lubricants ability to lubricate. But I don't know how well the solvent is actually removing deposits, just by filling and rotating gears a few times...

I wouldn't necessarily be hesitant to use ethanol. But, I think it might be wise to run a flush fill of gear oil for perhaps a few miles. And THEN go back with your final fill.

2013 SHO PP

peppelepugh

I'm thinking the BG service is the way to go then for me!
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

jtoddk98

I was charged $170 for the RDU flush in January. I opted to just do a drain and fill for the PTU since I plan on changing it pretty often, only $59. Next up is a transmission drain and fill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

SHOdded

Looking forward to updates from you all, hope it goes well, and think about pulling samples for Blackstone analysis :D

QuickSilver

Ive got 40K tuned heavy footed miles on my XSport and I've noticed in the last few thousand under deccel coasting up to a light I can hear a teeny bit of gear noise/whine.  Now I've heard  the 14's are water cooled to the PTU? so I thought they were less prone to overheat/ fluid turning to paste we've seen here but not sure.  I have two quarts of the Redline 140 sitting in my garage, I guess it's probably about time to crack the seal on those eh?
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

IHeartGroceries

Speaking of, I can't find that thread with the member here who posted an analysis on his PTU oil. I recall Blackstone confessing it was rife with unidentifiable solids. O_o
2013 SHO PP