• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

**HELP.....AGAIN.....**

Started by SHO-TYM, January 18, 2015, 05:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHO-TYM

Alright,  so I just had the alky methanol kit installed Friday. I picked it up around 10:00PM and the car drove GREAT! Drove for about 20 miles and got home and parked it. Woke up Saturday morning and went to pick up a buddy that wanted to see the difference.... drove 3 miles and picked him up, drove another mile to my "testing" road, and did a launch from a dead stop. RPMs climbed great in 1st until it hit around 4500, and then it kinda felt like wheel hop, but a little different.... so 2nd gear came and right when I got up to 4500-5000 RPMs the same thing happened...... now I know there is an issue..... so I get out of the throttle, and take a right onto another road, I look down and my check engine light is flashing, and when I pressed the pedal and there was some really bad shuttering going on..... so I coasted for about half a mile, and the check engine light stopped flashing, and the car started running perfectly fine (as long as you didn't give it full throttle). So I dropped him back off, and when I did that, I noticed a light blue smoke coming out of my Corsa catback system..... so I had him give it a couple revs, and it puffed the smoke out and then seemed fine until you hear the turbos spool down..... and then it would billow quite a bit of blue smoke out the back at idle, and then it would go away 90%.... also during a light Rev there seemed to be a SLIGHT rattle coming from, what sounded like, the front left side of the car. There was also some sort of moisture coming out the tips under light rev. so i took the car home.... it's been parked since then as I am waiting until I can contact livernois about it. I did plug up my mycal device, and pulled error codes, and there was one for ABS issue, but I am chalking that one up to installing my H&R springs. My first thoughts were blown turbo seal....but didn't smell any burned oil.... more of a burned fuel smell.... so then my thoughts went to spark blowout, and loss of cylinder..... just really nervous to drive the car like it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2011 Ford Taurus SHO non PP, Livernois Motorsports Windstorm Intake, LME Stage 4+X Meth Tune, 160* thermostat, new motorcraft plugs gapped at .028. 3 Bar Map Sensor, LMS non-catted down pipes, Corsa Catback System, ALKY Methanol Injection, LED Puddle Lights, and (ATP upgraded turbos on the way)
Road & Track Article
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a25497/this-is-what-a-550-hp-ford-taurus-sho-looks-like/

panther427

Did you update the tune? Check spark plug gap? Are you running pure meth or mixed? Some smoke could be from the meth cleaning the valve
2013 SHO

SHO-TYM

Quote from: panther427 on January 18, 2015, 05:34:12 PM
Did you update the tune? Check spark plug gap? Are you running pure meth or mixed? Some smoke could be from the meth cleaning the valve
I updated tune from Livernois, I already had the colder plugs from them that they pregapped. Livernois only runs 100% meth in their tunes and their Alky Control meth kit
2011 Ford Taurus SHO non PP, Livernois Motorsports Windstorm Intake, LME Stage 4+X Meth Tune, 160* thermostat, new motorcraft plugs gapped at .028. 3 Bar Map Sensor, LMS non-catted down pipes, Corsa Catback System, ALKY Methanol Injection, LED Puddle Lights, and (ATP upgraded turbos on the way)
Road & Track Article
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a25497/this-is-what-a-550-hp-ford-taurus-sho-looks-like/

SHO-TYM

Just took it for a quick spin today to see if it would repeat the issue..... pulls like a freight train.... and no misfire issues..... leads me to think new plugs, and gap them a little tighter
Road & Track Article

ZSHO

Would comment,but there's a few factors,good luck.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHO-TYM

Quote from: ZSHO on January 18, 2015, 06:27:42 PM
Would comment,but there's a few factors,good luck.
Not sure I follow what you're saying. But thanks, I guess. :-)
Road & Track Article

SHOdded

No troubles from standing start/WOT?  Most of the issues I've heard about are in the lower gearing anyway.  But I'd tend to agree with panther's assessment.  Enough buildup in the PCV system, getting cleaned out all at once could cause these symptoms (like going WOT while running Seafoam).  Then there is the question of sufficient traction coz of tires/road temp/etc.  Looking forward to pics of the plugs, hope they look nice & clean :)  Check the oil to see how dirty it is, and good idea to change it within 500 miles I'd think too.

Have Livernois do a fuel system check when you see them next, I'm sure they can find any leaky injectors that need taking care of.

Smoke METHANOL, not MENTHOL!!!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

PokerMunkee

That car does indeed pull like a beast.  Get some 0-100 videos, PLEASE!

If it seems OK, I'd drive it hard and see if you can reproduce it again.  If the engine is blown, whatcha going to do at this point!
2013 SHO PP - Ignot Silver/Charcoal
Unleashed 91 tune w/ 3BAR, Corsa exhaust, LEDs everywhere
2011 F-250 6.2 CCSB FX4

SHO-TYM

Quote from: PokerMunkee on January 18, 2015, 11:40:34 PM
That car does indeed pull like a beast.  Get some 0-100 videos, PLEASE!

If it seems OK, I'd drive it hard and see if you can reproduce it again.  If the engine is blown, whatcha going to do at this point!
Haha..... I have a video from the night I picked it up.... I'll post it next.

I don't think the engine is blown by any means. From what I'm researching, this indeed looks to be a plug/coil issue, which is an easy fix.
Road & Track Article

SHO-TYM

Road & Track Article

SHOnUup

What codes did you pull besides the ABS?

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOdded

What was that, 4 second 0-60, 10 second 0-100?  Wowza!  Sounded great too :thumb:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHO-TYM

Quote from: SHOnUup on January 19, 2015, 12:25:18 AM
What codes did you pull besides the ABS?

Rich
Just ABS, and i think P1000. I always get that one after I flash the ECU with a new tune. That one I believe is "incomplete write". Just because it's not stock tune.
Road & Track Article

SHO-TYM

Quote from: SHOdded on January 19, 2015, 04:24:57 AM
What was that, 4 second 0-60, 10 second 0-100?  Wowza!  Sounded great too :thumb:
You are correct... it feels stupid fast, but makes me nervous to have it misfiring. I want to make the 8 hour trip to Livernois, but my wife is hesitant. But it will be better for my car in the long run.
Road & Track Article

peppelepugh

If it helps at all. When i installed my new gapped plugs and tune back in Dec. I MAY or may not have forgotten to hook one of the coils back up.... surprisingly the car ran on only 5 cylinders. Idle was a bit rough, 1.2k to 3.5k was fairly smooth, then after about 4k the car would just fall flat on its face.

I don't know much of anything about the Meth systems, but maybe this little bit of info can help!
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!