• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Winter blend gas and E/85

Started by SHOnUup, October 12, 2014, 10:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOnUup

Quote from: Larrylu on October 28, 2014, 05:12:26 PM

Quote from: SHOnUup on October 28, 2014, 04:47:24 PM
Quote from: Larrylu on October 28, 2014, 04:34:57 PM
I went out shopping for E85 today and so far I drew a blank. The place I found on the Internet said they took it out 2 years ago. I'm still following leads. Hopefully one of them will prove fruitful. In the meantime I filled up with Mobil 93 for the first time and reset my KR. I'm not expecting any major difference but it's worth checking while I hunt E85. Kind of funny when I ask many of the station employees if they know where I could buy E85, I often get that blank stare. They don't even know what I'm talking about.
What planet are you searching for this said rare earth liquid substance? :P

Good luck!

Rich

Just a little hick planet called Upstate NY. At least I can get what's labeled 93 octane so it could be worse!
Sounds like you need to bring along a 5 gallon can to store some when you find it.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Larrylu

Quote from: SHOnUup on October 29, 2014, 07:48:25 AM

I went out shopping for E85 today and so far I drew a blank. The place I found on the Internet said they took it out 2 years ago. I'm still following leads. Hopefully one of them will prove fruitful. In the meantime I filled up with Mobil 93 for the first time and reset my KR. I'm not expecting any major difference but it's worth checking while I hunt E85. Kind of funny when I ask many of the station employees if they know where I could buy E85, I often get that blank stare. They don't even know what I'm talking about.

Good luck!

Rich

Just a little hick planet called Upstate NY. At least I can get what's labeled 93 octane so it could be worse!
Sounds like you need to bring along a 5 gallon can to store some when you find it.

Rich
LOL!!  I bought a 5 gal pail to be dedicated for my E85 yesterday!  No fooling. You either have ESP or you are stalking me. Unreal!
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

ZSHO

Like some mentioned here to a similiar post,wouldnt torco satisfy the hestation and lack of performance due to the winterblend gas instead of E85 which both you have to mix and add if E85 is harder to come by,brings me back to hurricane Sandy years ago,we had to drive around looking for gas.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOnUup

Quote from: Larrylu on October 29, 2014, 09:13:20 AM

Quote from: SHOnUup on October 29, 2014, 07:48:25 AM

Good luck!

Rich

Rich
LOL!!  I bought a 5 gal pail to be dedicated for my E85 yesterday!  No fooling. You either have ESP or you are stalking me. Unreal!
Heavy traffic ahead please take alt route...haha :P

Rich

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOnUup

Quote from: ZSHO on October 29, 2014, 09:13:50 AM
Like some mentioned here to a similiar post,wouldnt torco satisfy the hestation and lack of performance due to the winterblend gas instead of E85 which both you have to mix and add if E85 is harder to come by,brings me back to hurricane Sandy years ago,we had to drive around looking for gas.
Definitely an option. With the high concentration it is, seems you could easily be off on your mixing causing issues at low boost scenarios (rough idle and start up). Those are my amateur thoughts.

Rich

SHOnUup

Good to see you round these parts again. Hope the recovery is well underway.

Rich

FoMoCoSHO

You could but there are some properties of E-85 that IDK the torco possesses. One is the enhanced charge cooling and the other has to do with the actual octane of e-85 when its direct injected that its actually much higher than the stated number. IIRC one paper that I posted says it's upwards of 160, hence my suspicion why so little seems to help so much.

ecoboostsho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on October 29, 2014, 11:24:57 AM
You could but there are some properties of E-85 that IDK the torco possesses. One is the enhanced charge cooling and the other has to do with the actual octane of e-85 when its direct injected that its actually much higher than the stated number. IIRC one paper that I posted says it's upwards of 160, hence my suspicion why so little seems to help so much.
That may explain why even 1 gallon has had a large positive effect. My trims adjusted now and I have zero knock. It rocks!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

ZSHO

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=73061 saw an article today regarding E85 and was impressed by members having such positive results,hope this adds more detail twards the positive outcome.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Larrylu

I have tried Torco just to see for myself, and it did what I expected. KR reading dropped dramatically .....worked fine!  For me though it's way way to expensive for an every tankful supplement. One or two gallons of E85 replacing one or two gallons of 93 octane E10 in a normal fill up would be a net savings even if you factor in the slight decrease in gas mileage the blended gas should deliver.  Get to have your cake and eat it too!
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

MDesign Performance

Quote from: Larrylu on October 29, 2014, 12:14:05 PM
I have tried Torco just to see for myself, and it did what I expected. KR reading dropped dramatically .....worked fine!  For me though it's way way to expensive for an every tankful supplement. One or two gallons of E85 replacing one or two gallons of 93 octane E10 in a normal fill up would be a net savings even if you factor in the slight decrease in gas mileage the blended gas should deliver.  Get to have your cake and eat it too!

That's exactly how I see it too. Anyone come up with a perfect ratio? I'm thinking of trying 2 gallons this time around in a full tank, this is what I came out with using the calculator at the bottom link:

2 gallons e85 + 17 gallons 93 Octane = 94.3 Octane with 17.9% ethanol (or E18)
2.5 gallons e85 + 16.5 gallons 93 Octane = 94.6 Octane with 19.9% ethanol (or E20)

http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

SHOdded

E15 is the limit for gen 4.1, per Ford, right?  I would go higher very cautiously.  Max 10% variance that engineers usually build in.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MDesign Performance

Quote from: SHOdded on October 29, 2014, 12:40:31 PM
E15 is the limit for gen 4.1, per Ford, right?  I would go higher very cautiously.  Max 10% variance that engineers usually build in.

The gas cap says no E20 so that's what I've been going off of with no ill affects. I'm going to try 2 gallons to a tank which should put me at E18, though if you wanted to test the limits it would be 2.5 gallons of E85 and rest 93 octane which would be E20.

I think 2 gallons of E85 might be golden number, gives you some cushion room and it's quite easy to gauge.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

Airbornemaikai

Are you taking in to account the winter blend of the e85 as well? Here it's actually e75 this time of year, and what about the 93? Is it 93 anymore and is it non ethanol 93?
2014 Explorer Sport
LMS 91 Tune with 3 Bar Map
160º Evenflo T-stat, 0.30 Motorcraft plugs
LMS DP W/HI-Flow Cats, LMS Corsa Cat-Back
Airaid 401-260

Airbornemaikai

I just did a calculation based off of e75 (100 octane) and 93 with 10% ethanol which would give you that 93.7 octane and only 16.8 ethanol or e17 so lower than your initial estimate, which is good. I think it's crazy that the sho has a bigger tank than the explorer lol
2014 Explorer Sport
LMS 91 Tune with 3 Bar Map
160º Evenflo T-stat, 0.30 Motorcraft plugs
LMS DP W/HI-Flow Cats, LMS Corsa Cat-Back
Airaid 401-260