• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Ordered SCT X3 with tune by Torrie!!!

Started by MikeB, December 31, 2012, 03:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeB

I'm super excitedd to say that I went ahead and ordered the SCT X3 with tune from Unleashed!!! I can't wait to get the tune dialed in on this thing.

EcoPowerParts

Awesome! We'll have to go to Firebird when it's open. Now there's 3 of us with Flexs in AZ. We can go beat down on muscle cars. :p
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

WhitePlatinumSHO

Awesome. Congrats. Torrie is an awesome tuner.
2016 Platinum White SHO
- Unleashed Tune & 3 Bar MAP

2010 Red Candy SHO - Gone but not forgotten
1997 Cobra Coupe - 659rwhp / 609rwtq

EcoBrick Bob

Torrie is GRRRR8!!!!

He can tune anything well!
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

MikeB

Yeah, I'm excited. It will be nice to get it dialed in. Not sure if I'll make it out to Firebird with the Flex before it closes. I will have my GN out on the 25th hopefully.

MikeB

Got my X3 in the mail yesterday. I got Torrie the info he needed and he sent me 3 tunes. 91 performance, 91 performance with firmed shifts, and 91 performance with firm shifts and upped boost. I choose door #3  :biggrin:

I will get the tune uploaded tonight and start to log. I guess these things are in closed loop all the time thanks to the WB02's, so the only real changes I would need to have him make would be to pull timing back if I get knock or adjust the fuel tables (VE table?) to get long term fuel trims closer if they are way off.

EcoPowerParts

Enjoy! Make sure you have good gas, I had to go a few rounds with him to get it to work with our bad gas. One thing to consider would be to make it E25 by mixing E85 and E10/91, it will help substantially and you'll still be fine, in fact I had great luck running E30 with his 93 octane tune.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

MikeB

This is a DD, so no plans to mix gas unless I do a track only tune. Considering Firebird is closing soon, I won't bother. I'm too lazy to drive out to Speedworld. If I get knock and AFR is good, I'll just have him pull a little timing out under high loads.

MikeB

Well, I got the tune in and drove around and logged. I setup all the pids I think I will need. I took a city, hwy, and wot log. I still need to interperet what I'm looking at. If anyone wants me to send them the files, let me know.

Unfortunately the Flex runs bad at WOT and I'm getting a misfire code on cylinder #3. This happened a couple of times bone stock. I thought I took care of it when I swapped plugs, put on the catch can, and moved ign coils around. So I'm guessing that I possibly have a bad injector or one of the fuel pumps is bad and #3 happens to be the leanest?

EcoBrick Bob

A month or so ago I got on it hard in 1st & 2nd and all of a sudden I had a misfire & a check engine light.  Ran crappy for about a mile and then normal with light disappearing. DashHawk showed a misfire on #1 cyl. (front drivers side).  Next day I floored it again thru 2 gears and had a minor stumble and again the same code but no check engine light. Pulled plug and it looked fine, but since it had been in for about 10K, I switched it out.  No issues since.  I think I had some carbon build up that caused this, as I hadn't been flooring it for long periods for months.  Engine had stock tune and I was running Costco 93.

Way back, I ran 30K with Torrie's tunes using the original plugs (old #) including with W/M and never had a code till on day the insulator broke loose on #1 plug. 

Based on my Lambda(decimal A/F) readings that I have logged when Torrie was experimenting with my tunes, both banks run pretty equal, and both have occasional fluctuations.  Early on we saw Lambda's as high as .84, but later Torrie got them in the .78 - .80 with an infrequent one or 2 reading spike as high as .82.

If you continue to see a mis-fire, you may need to do a compression check on #3 cyl, and compare it to #1 & #5, all three on front and easy to get to.

2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011

Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

MikeB

I'll check that Bob.  Thanks! The plugs are new and I moved the coils around. The only knock / misfire issues I have had so far happen when the AFR gets leaner than 11.5:1, even on the stock tune which hits those #'s (0.79 - 0.81) for a moment before it richens up. The E10 91 here sucks, and all my cars see these issues. After looking at logs, I know my GN does exactly what the Flex does. If the AFR goes any leaner than 11.4:1 on pump gas it knocks bad. Timing / boost targets are similar to what the Flex is running with Torrie's tune.

MikeB

Bob, what is the E content of your gas?

EcoBrick Bob

When I was at 12 to  1 I was running E10 93 and spraying W/M.
The main gas stations I use here in FL are either Costco, or the ones that are along interstate 75 and are very busy.  In IA I almost always get my 93 at Murphy(WalMart) and those stations waits are as bad as Costco. Both of them are within 10 mi of a fuel terminal & Iowa is the largest producer of Ethanol for fuel. We have 4 large plants within 40 mi of Clear Lake, and hundreds of empty rail cars waiting to be filled for shipment all over US. It is very important to buy fuel at a busy station, where 91 is priced the closest to the 87, so people will use it frequently, in lieu of a cheaper grade.  In IA, there is very little E 10 that is 87.  Almost all is 87 blended with ethanol which yields 89.  Our 87 has no alcohol and is priced higher than E10-89.  When I was back at Christmas, E89 was $2.92 in Mason City, IA at Murphy.  Cheapest gas I have seen in over 2 years. E-93 was $3.20!

MikeB

So I put in the fat tune and the issue came out of the woodwork. Bank one is running lean. Short term fuel corrections on bank 1 are 15-19% at WOT and I got another misfire code on #3. It looks like a bad injector since I've already swapped plugs and moved coils around since my first 2 misfires on 3.

Actually, is #3 the one in the back on the drivers side?

So, how to I change out an injector on this thing? Haha. I guess I have to remove the intake, fuel rail, and valve cover for starters.

EcoBrick Bob

Might the injector be clogged/dirty from crummy fuel and deposits?

Have you tried running injector cleaner?