• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

3mpg gain!?!?

Started by SHODYOU, May 07, 2014, 07:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHODYOU

So.....
Went to MS this past weekend, 700 miles each way.
I've made the drive about 10 times, that's where I'm from originally.

I usually avg 27-28 on the way down and 26ish on the way back up (idk why its worse on way up but it always is, slow but sure up uphill maybe)

Anyways, on this particular trip I avg'd 27.1 mpg on the way down, driving 8 over the speed limit with cruise control (acc car). Driving between 430pm and 230am... so most of trip was light traffic.

Monday I put my car into shop (dad gm of local ford dealer) for three things.
1. BG intake cleaning service, as web shows they are dealer for, but come to find out they switched to Valvoline service, but its comparable.
2. Change PTU fluid to Red Line 75/140
3. Change RDU fluid to Red Line 75/90

Car has 45k miles on it so it was time... ptu fluid was black but not sludge.
Also worthy of noting is that I use Top Tier fuel 95% of the time on top of bottles of Techron concentrate every so often. Hells theres two bottles in the trunk now lol.

I get car back Monday night and after 30 seconds I told my dad car felt peppy and really light on its feet. I chalked it up to placebo since id been driving an Ecoboost f150 4x4 all day which is much less responsive to throttle inputs.

Fast forward to Tuesday a m when I leave to drive back up here to NC. I reset mpg and including a fuel stop and a seperate food stop after the 700 miles, still using cruise to travel 8 over I got 29.7 mpg!!
And I drove from 930am to 830pm so traffic was much worse overall then down trip.

Obviously it wasn't placebo lol, car feels great.

Change the fluid people!
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

BiGMaC

IMHO It was the cleaning service... performance and mileage suffer... as you know I'm sure since you know BG... I think deposit removal from cylinders and valves was responsible for it all.

What was your odometer?

Great to hear this kind of news... Glad you "remediated" your ride.... kinda' fountain of youth!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Do you reset your mpg/trip meter each time you start a trip?  Just checking, to eliminate longterm vs. shortterm differences.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHODYOU

Yes I do... I reset it each trip. As soon as I get on hwy first time so its purely hwy mileage, not the few miles of city driving to get to hwy.
Then I keep it on "miles to e" and I dont check mpg till trip is over.

When I got gas yesterday, first fill since trip, my car said 500 miles to e hahah :)

2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

jbrown9999

Actually been digging through looking for articles on this.
I've been struggling to get above 25mpg out of my car, got a MPG tune from Unlimited and peaked at 26.2 mpg.

My trip is 940 miles each way.  Its across I-80 for over 900 of it.  There are some spots along the way with construction but there tends not to be a lot of traffic.

Its a 2016 SHO w/PP.  The lower drive ratio of the PP makes that much difference?
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

Macgyver

Probably.

2015 SHO non PP 30k miles.

I drove out to Omaha Ne from Reading Pa and back. Roughly 2500 miles and averaged 27 to 28 mpg running 75 to 80mph. The thing is. Thats the MPG I get whether its 55 or 65 or 75. Oh well.

TopherSho

Quote from: jbrown9999 on July 18, 2017, 08:37:08 PM
Actually been digging through looking for articles on this.
I've been struggling to get above 25mpg out of my car, got a MPG tune from Unlimited and peaked at 26.2 mpg.

My trip is 940 miles each way.  Its across I-80 for over 900 of it.  There are some spots along the way with construction but there tends not to be a lot of traffic.

Its a 2016 SHO w/PP.  The lower drive ratio of the PP makes that much difference?

I am non-pp, i have not seen more than 26mph HIGHWAY with cruise on at 68mph.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

92BlackGT

Quote from: TopherSho on July 18, 2017, 11:21:55 PM
I am non-pp, i have not seen more than 26mph HIGHWAY with cruise on at 68mph.

same with me. typically 24.x mpg on my trips from OKC to Minneapolis and back. not much elevation change on I-35. If i can get over 26 mpg, i'd be ecstatic. Maybe i'll get an MPG tune from torrie for my trip to Phoenix and see how it does.
'14 Taurus SHO - non PP, Unleashed E20 tune, 3 bar - 12.91 @ 106.5 mph
'93 Mustang Coupe - AFR 165's, FTI cam, ported Cobra intake - 13.05 @ 105.6 mph

ZSHO

@- jbrown9999 it sounds up to par IMO.
I purchased my 13 PP-SHO back on 8/13 and have averaged 25 mpg-hwy using 93 octane while having it in Drive not Sport mode. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Macgyver

Terrain has a lot to do with it. Ohio Turnpike is just FLAT. I got 28mpg there on my trip. 75 to 80 mph. Indiana and Iowa are rolling hills per say. 27mpg. Pa has more hills on the Turnpike. 26mpg. All on 93 octane.

Primalzer

Curious what the cleaning service would cost through the dealer? I struggle to get above 20-21 mpg with my brick at around 75 mph these days, and with 105K miles on the clock, it might be time for a cleaning.

I have the Ford ESP think there's a way of getting it covered through that?
2011 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost
-2013+ PP SHO front brake conversion

ZSHO

I had the Dealer perform a Valvoline-VPS Induction cleaning roughly over a year ago which is inserted through the intake plenum and the other bottle is for the gas tank.
I think it was 99.00 for the procedure.IIRC. Z

http://youtu.be/hg0tCjLN4r0

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

10bird

Now we need a few more of you to try the intake cleaner and document the results.

Primalzer

After doing some research, I'm a bit skeptical about the intake service...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0irwbwpuEbQ&feature=youtu.be
2011 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost
-2013+ PP SHO front brake conversion

TopherSho

Quote from: Primalzer on July 25, 2017, 03:53:03 PM
Curious what the cleaning service would cost through the dealer? I struggle to get above 20-21 mpg with my brick at around 75 mph these days, and with 105K miles on the clock, it might be time for a cleaning.

I have the Ford ESP think there's a way of getting it covered through that?

Most dealerships will not cover it until you start getting misfire codes.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction