• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Swamprat's HotPipe kit with Tial BOV install

Started by SwampRat, March 19, 2014, 06:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Marvelous engine bay you have there, sir!  Salute!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

Thanks for the pics!  Really is quite a transformation.  Excellent job with the front BoV securing method... really hard to pic out! With the cover the back one won't be visible.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

JimiJak

That looks fantastic...excuse me while I wipe the drool off my laptop...

...there, that's better. Any progress with a video for the Tial BOVs??

Thnx!
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

BiGMaC

Quote from: JimiJak on March 27, 2014, 06:44:51 PM
That looks fantastic...excuse me while I wipe the drool off my laptop...

...there, that's better. Any progress with a video for the Tial BOVs??

Thnx!

Just FYI.... with the TIAL there is only one BoV locxated in the new location seen in SW's pics

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

SwampRat

Quote from: Tom@ecoboostperformance on March 27, 2014, 07:53:53 PM
Looks great!  I bet the hydrodipped carbon fiber engine cover would look really cool on there, too.

Yes it will when it gets here ... hopefully PCP gets my CUSTOM one to me next week .

Quote from: SwampRat on March 09, 2014, 01:54:45 PM
Quote from: SwampRat on March 07, 2014, 09:54:24 PM
Quote from: SwampRat on March 06, 2014, 12:04:35 PM
I've decided to Go the Hydro Dip route for my Engine cover and am awaiting a reply from PCP .

Not 100 % Sure of the look yet but  will be RED with some type of print and the SHO and Ecoboost  lettering done in High Gloss Black [/b].

I got the quote from PCP and am going to Ship my cover to them  .
It will be a Hydro Dipped Carbon Fiber print in RED with High Gloss Black Lettering.
I already committed to this before 4DR started  his other Post .

I will put up pics when I get it back ...

Chris at PCP  just sent an invoice to me and and I paid him via PayPal .

I'm going to ship the engine cover off to him tomorrow .

It'll be a Custom one-of job and I'll be anxiously waiting to get it back .

I'll post pics when I get it unless Chris wants to torture me and post pics before they pack to ship back to me ! !
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

68_GT

very nice !

it's going to look killer with the hydrodipped engine cover on !
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

SwampRat

Probably only a few folks here might be able to help on this .

Since HotPipe and Tial Install I DO NOT hear the BOV operating  .
I hooked the BOV vaccum to the Brake Booster Line with a T .
Everything seems to be working just don't hear the BOV releasing pressure as before with VTA mod ??

Tail vaccum fitting hooked to 3/8 ID inner braided fuel line to T on Brake Booster  line ..
                                                           RX vent line temporarily capped ..

3/8 ID braided inner fuel line to T Brass fittings in Brake Booster Line

IC to TB HotPipe for Tial BOV backside , meth/nitrous bung is now plugged with 5/16 fine thread stainless steel bolt and washers .
                                                        "  May use later  "

2021 Edge ST

JimiJak

This is my first un-NA engine, so forgive my newbness here...but thought I would offer my $0.02.  Plus, it's more of a question than anything. :)

Is it possible the BOV spring is too heavy / not enough pressure from the blow-off to open the valve?

SwampRat

Its a Tial BV50 and came with white spring , Spring pressure is -9.00psi.
Hoping 4DRHTRD chimes in .... he sells the kit .

2021 Edge ST

JimiJak

And what kind of 'let-off' pressures are you likely to see with stock turbos?

Also, Is that directly correlated with the psi you're creating?
ie. if I spool up 15lbs and let off the gas, ending the boost cycle, are the BOVs met with all 15lbs, or would it only be a percentage of that, that is 'blown-off'?

THANKS!

panther427

2013 SHO

BiGMaC

Quote from: JimiJak on March 27, 2014, 09:46:56 PM

ie. if I spool up 15lbs and let off the gas, ending the boost cycle, are the BOVs met with all 15lbs, or would it only be a percentage of that, that is 'blown-off'?

THANKS!

The springs are available in different resistances... after the boost cycle the blowoff opens at 8 psi.. that can be changed.

For right now, just pick your eye candy/ear candy.  No demonstrable difference in performance of one aftermarket spring actuated BOV like this vs. two electrically controlled BOVs (OEM BOV setup) can be found for these hotpipes.

JimiJak

Quote from: BiGMaC on March 27, 2014, 10:34:44 PM

THANKS!

The springs are available in different resistances... after the boost cycle the blowoff opens at 8 psi.. that can be changed.

For right now, just pick your eye candy/ear candy.  No demonstrable difference in performance of one aftermarket spring actuated BOV like this vs. two electrically controlled BOVs (OEM BOV setup) can be found for these hotpipes.

That all makes sense.
Just seems like if you have a spring that requires more tension to open it than what you're blowing off, that it wouldn't open the valve. So I wondered if that could have anything to do with swamprats problem.

Also, on a side note; is it possible to attach the tail bov to stock charge pipes, or is this more of a hot pipes specific application?

BiGMaC

Quote from: JimiJak on March 27, 2014, 10:56:50 PM

THANKS!

That all makes sense.
Just seems like if you have a spring that requires more tension to open it than what you're blowing off, that it wouldn't open the valve. So I wondered if that could have anything to do with swamprats problem.

Also, on a side note; is it possible to attach the tail bov to stock charge pipes, or is this more of a hot pipes specific application?

I think working the plastic pipes (which BTW are vert restrictive) would be a nightmare... new fabbing in plastic is  a 2-3 place move for the decimal point in increased dollars, but if you've got the bucks (Mike looked into it)  Also the weight and axis of the weight on the much larger TIAL BOV would be hard to support in the plastic to prevent a twisting force on the plastic... which can leak anyway.  Plus if your thinking more boost... fix the leaks proactively. 

Both setups still just go PFFFFT when you roll off the throttle... maybe a little louder on the TIAL, but both setups are VTA.

What problem are you asking about? ...I guess I had a senior moment and missed it. 

SwampRat

THANKS!

Yes to an extent this is true , but the main reason I went with the Tial BOV is because of the ability to handle the  high boost pressure that the ATP's can deliver . The OEM  E BOV's will not handle the higher PSI.

2021 Edge ST