• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

ruh oh, a problem!

Started by MeanKS, March 18, 2014, 08:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanKS

was traveling Saturday afternoon and all of a sudden the engine begins to studder, the engine light comes on, and i smell gas in the passenger compartment.  i was able to nurse the car home and eventually to the dealer where i brought my MKS (Lexus) and extended warranty (Fidelity Platinum).  they looked at it and said Ford's Direct Injection Twin Turbo is more than what they're comfortable with working on, so they had it towed to a nearby Lincoln dealer which i have been to before.

the Lincoln dealer said they would do a diagnostic today, which i'm responsible for, and then begin repair assuming its covered under my extended warranty.  thank goodness i haven't done any mods to the car yet!

does anyone have any idea as to what the problem might be?

also, i asked the Lincoln service guy about installing the SP534 plugs in the engine, which i already purchased, since they will probably have to open the engine anyway and see it could be done under the warranty repair or at least at a reduced rate  :shifty:  maybe that will be somewhat of a silver lining...
MKS-EB...

DJE624

Sounds like a bad injector or connection to me.  Or maybe the HPFP.

IHeartGroceries

Definitely sounds like a fueling component.
At least your engine didn't burst into flames. XD

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

MeanKS

just got a call back from the Lincoln dealer; they said that the coil in cylinder #3 failed.  Fidelity gave the OK to proceed with the repair.

he wouldn't budge on the spark plugs (wanted full charge)  >:(, even though they clearly are going to have to open up the engine bay already.  they said the official factory plug is the CYFS123YT3 replacement and thats what they will install.  I'm not sure if thats the SP534???

anyway, he said he would be finished with it today...
MKS-EB...

MeanKS

are there any official TSBs from ford to replace the spark plugs with SP534s?
MKS-EB...

BiGMaC

Glad it seems to be a relatively simple fix. Hopefully you'll be cruising again soon.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

DJE624

Quote from: DRII on March 18, 2014, 09:47:49 AM

I don't think so.  They'll probably put in a SP528.  At least you'll be back on the road tonight, hopefully!

MeanKS

yep hopefully, barring something crazy happening and will be driving as aggressively as ever.  the 3.5EB is a performance engine and is meant to be driven hard!  i'm disaapointed this came up, but i know not to expect perfection and will chalk this occurrence to chance (sometimes parts will fail regardless of manufacturer, and i've always had overall good experiences with Ford).

I'm glad i negotiated hard for that extended warranty, i didn't expect to have to use it so soon...
MKS-EB...

TSS

Quote from: DJE624 on March 18, 2014, 09:56:38 AM

I don't think so.  They'll probably put in a SP528.  At least you'll be back on the road tonight, hopefully!

Yep, I would also bet SP528 is what they would put in.
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

BiGMaC

Quote from: TSS on March 18, 2014, 10:26:19 AM
Quote from: DJE624 on March 18, 2014, 09:56:38 AM

Yep, I would also bet SP528 is what they would put in.

Me2... product liability.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

68_GT

coil packs are going to fail here and there it's an electronic component. I just replaed all 8 on my 07 Expedition becasue 3-4 were bad so I just put a fresh set on there. It has 83K miles on it and with new spark plugs it runs perfectly now. You probably smelled fuel becasue the engine started dumping fuel (running very rich) becasue it went into limp mode for safety due to the misfire. Easy fix. And you can swap out your plugs in 30 minutes. It's super easy.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

FracaSHO

Plus 1 on that. My daddy always said if you're gonna replace 1 bad coil, do em all.

Brad
2010 SHO with PP
Sent from my iPhone
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

BiGMaC

Quote from: FracaSHO on March 18, 2014, 12:43:02 PM
Plus 1 on that. My daddy always said if you're gonna replace 1 bad coil, do em all.

X3... Brad did we have the same Dad?   :biggrin:

MeanKS

Quote from: 68_GT on March 18, 2014, 12:38:21 PM
coil packs are going to fail here and there it's an electronic component. I just replaed all 8 on my 07 Expedition becasue 3-4 were bad so I just put a fresh set on there. It has 83K miles on it and with new spark plugs it runs perfectly now. You probably smelled fuel becasue the engine started dumping fuel (running very rich) becasue it went into limp mode for safety due to the misfire. Easy fix. And you can swap out your plugs in 30 minutes. It's super easy.

ah yea, i wish i had some of you all's skills underhood, but sadly i don't  :-[.

and the dealer and warranty company only want to do what is technically necessary.  the tech already told me that putting in the SP534 plugs would be considered warranty fraud and that he had use the 'official' replacement plug  C:-) :angry1: C:-)
MKS-EB...

FracaSHO

Quote from: DRII on March 18, 2014, 01:24:54 PM
Quote from: 68_GT on March 18, 2014, 12:38:21 PM

ah yea, i wish i had some of you all's skills underhood, but sadly i don't  :-[.

and the dealer and warranty company only want to do what is technically necessary.  the tech already told me that putting in the SP534 plugs would be considered warranty fraud and that he had use the 'official' replacement plug  C:-) :angry1: C:-)

Them doing the bare minimum is to be expected. Did they actually use the term 'warranty fraud!?' What a joke. Whether it's ignorance or stupidity it all annoys the same.

Brad
2010 SHO with PP
Sent from my iPhone
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP