• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Torque Pro Missing PID's for Transmission Temp Guage .... and others

Started by SwampRat, February 21, 2014, 12:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampRat

I am making this post to specifically address the issue of guages that could be shown on Torque Pro but are not because of PID's that are not included with the APP .

Several of these guages should be able to be displayed with Torque Pro because the info is in the OBDII data stream and The Aeroforce Interceptor Guages use this stream and can display the data.

I for one would very much like  a Transmission Temp  Guage .
Others have mentioned different gauge possibilities .

The question is , how do you get these PID's ?

The below Posts were from a few days ago discussing this issue and I and several others would REALLY like these PID's .

Quote from: SwampRat on February 19, 2014, 07:21:12 PM
Quote from: Larrylu on February 19, 2014, 07:10:31 PM
It does look like Torque but for our cars all the potential gauges that torque offers are not supported by the data available on the OBD2. So you would see a menu choice for tranny temp but it will be greyed out or will not display data if you position the gauge on the screen.

OK but the Aeroforce Gauges that  4DR is selling are OBDII and trans temp is shown ?

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=2111.0;topicseen

Quote from: Larrylu on February 19, 2014, 11:16:42 PM

Quote from: SwampRat on February 19, 2014, 07:38:11 PM
Quote from: Larrylu on February 19, 2014, 07:29:09 PM
Don't know as I have not had any experience with the Aeroforce Gauges. I think I saw where someone said that they had their own sensor ...IDK. I'm sure I saw tranny temp on a Torque gauge selection menu when I was setting mine up, just was not successful in displaying it. I'd love to find out I'm doing something wrong.

Click the link and watch the video , they are new SHO/F150  gauges designed for the ecoboost engine and plug into the OBDII port ; tranny temp is shown .
Ford Ecoboost Aeroforce gauge demo

I agree it sure looks like the tranny temp value is in the data stream. I'll have to go back and try again to get Torque to display. I'd like to show charge temp, present gear choice, tranny temp, and EGT to name just a few that I tried and failed to display. My easy excuse was must not be in the stream.  Now I have to rethink that.  I love the gauges I'm showing, and love the tablet integration in my day in day out driving.

Quote from: ecoboostsho on February 20, 2014, 06:39:08 PM
They are (obviously) correct.  That's is how we got "knock" to work.  4DR found the PID out on the Internet.  Once you know that you have to be able to figure out the formula.  If the sensor exists on the car there is more than likely a PID for it that we could read with Torque.  Transmission temperature would be fairly trivial to figure out if we knew the PID etc...Ford doesn't publish them and they are often different from car model to car model.  The standard ones are per the OBDII standard so that is why a base set works in Torque.  The Ford PIDs that come with Torque are mostly for older Fords...sadly not our newer ones.
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

SwampRat

2021 Edge ST

ecoboostsho

It might be (nice find).  Although if these are just the PIDs that Torque Pro already has then they won't work for our car.  I can't run out to my car right now but if anyone wants to try it you can take the "TXD" column and go from there...

Basically that is an address - I'm guessing the 07E0 part is the transmission controller address.  the "22" is the standard OBD information request and the "1674" is the reference (hopefully) to the specific sensor - in this case transmission temp.

You would basically enter "221674" in the PID area - you might need to put the "07E0" in the header field.  I would try it with it and without it.  You can ignore the equation and just put an "A" in there for the variable.   Hit the test button at the bottom and see if you get a response.  If you do then we can go from there.  If not then the PID won't work for our car...

I will try it later if I can or tomorrow!

Transmission Fluid Temperature 07E0221674 046205160674 3010 000100080000 TFT Degrees Fahrenheit
Alt Transmission Fluid Temperature 07E1221674 046205160674 3010 000100080000 TFT Degrees Fahrenheit
Alt Transmission Fluid Temperature 07E0221E1C 0462051E061C 3010 000900500020 TFT Degrees Fahrenheit
Alt Transmission Fluid Temperature 07E1221E1C 0462051E061C 3010 000900500020 TFT Degrees Fahrenheit
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

ecoboostsho

What nothing yet? :)  We may be on to something!  I was able to get the 221E1C PID to return data!!  This means that if we can figure out the "equation" we may have a working temp gauge very soon.  If the sensor varies directly with temperature (let's hope) which is likely then all I really need is two data points -one value when it is say 4 degree outside and the car is completely cold (i.e. overnight) and one say when it is much warmer.  The farther the two points are away from each other the more accurate the equation and I can do a little math to get a slope and an offset and figure out the equation...stay tuned. Just an FYI I'm pretty busy raising 8 month old twins so this won't happen tonight... ;)
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

SwampRat

Quote from: ecoboostsho on February 21, 2014, 09:32:20 PM
What nothing yet? :)  We may be on to something!  I was able to get the 221E1C PID to return data!!  This means that if we can figure out the "equation" we may have a working temp gauge very soon.  If the sensor varies directly with temperature (let's hope) which is likely then all I really need is two data points -one value when it is say 4 degree outside and the car is completely cold (i.e. overnight) and one say when it is much warmer.  The farther the two points are away from each other the more accurate the equation and I can do a little math to get a slope and an offset and figure out the equation...stay tuned. Just an FYI I'm pretty busy raising 8 month old twins so this won't happen tonight... ;)

Man   ...... WAY over my head .....seriously though , thanks ...just needed someone to help make this work .

2021 Edge ST

crash712us

I know for the MyCal you have pay license fee  for advanced pids and trans temp is one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

Josephm

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

MTaurusSHO

2013 Tuxedo Black Non PP SHO
AirAid, LMS Tuned, Plugs and T-Stat.
2002  MMM Z28
F1 Procharged 408ci

ecoboostsho

I looked at that link you posted above and just realized there is a MTH field which means they basically are giving us the equation...can't believe I missed that.  I did some googling and found a link out on a Toyota Tundra site that tells us how to decipher much of this.  If you look at the MTH field it contains the following value:

The first four digits "0009" is the Numerator in Hex...the next four digits "0050" is the denominator in hex and the last four digits "0020" in hex we add to the equation.  Converting everything to decimal the numerator is "9" the denominator is "80" and we add "32" or simply:

(9/80)+32  (It's actually converting Celsius to degrees Fahrenheit and dividing by 16)

We also need to tell if the car is returning  a single byte of data or 2 bytes but that is what the RXD field is for...for us it is "3010".  If the last two digits are "08" then it is a single byte - if it is "10
(like in this case) it's using 2 bytes.  That means we need to return a double byte and use the following Base equation:

(A*256)+B - this is a binary operation that shifts the first byte over and adds it to the second.  Don't worry if you don't understand this.  It's just necessary.

Combing the two above we end up with the final equation which gets plugged in to Torque:

-------Edit 5/31/2014 We ended up determining that a different formula was more accurate so I am posting it here to save you from reading 6 pages of detail  Thanks to skippytx for finding this formula.  While the process listed in the above post is technically accurate I do not believe the original PID formula provided is for the Taurus------------

I need to verify I did this right by entering it all in the car and seeing if the values make sense.  The one thing that doesn't make sense to me yet is that this value will never be negative and clearly temperatures can be.  I will be going for a drive this morning and will try it out. 

Cliff notes:

Add a custom PID in Torque by going to the "Settings" section off the main screen.
Enter the following for the fields it prompts you for:
"OBD2 Mode and PID"  =  221E1C
"Long Name" = Trans Temp
"Short Name" = Trans T
"Minimum Value" = -40
"Maximum Value" = 260
"Scale Factor" = 1
"Unit Type" = deg
"Equation" = (((signed(A)*256)+B)*(9/8)+320)/10
Leave the OBD Header blank

Hit "Test" and make sure you get a value back.  Then click "ok".
Next go to a screen where you actually want the gauge (Under Realtime information off the main screen).  Long press and "add display"...then pick a type of display...then select the "Trans Temp" (or whatever you called the Long Name above).  Pick a size and then enjoy!

bpd1151

OMG this harkens back to those days when I was always quick to exclaim to my Parents.....

"I'll never need math! When I am ever going to use this?"

Geezuz.

Where's my beer? :beer:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Larrylu

I'm waiting for your test results with fingers crossed. I'm a bit confused as to why my torque menu already has at least 3 Trans Temp choices that don't work but I'm sure ready to add one more that will work. I will never be able to derive the formula on my own and I have other gauges that I want to add. Can those of us not comfortable in hex hire you to develop the formulas for desired gauges. I have about five or six that I've been lusting after. 
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

ecoboostsho

Just went for a drive and it definitely is a temp. Not sure the scaling is right on the equation just yet but we are close. If you have the PIDs I would be happy to try and get a few others. Cylinder head temp is in the list and that would be interesting. What else are you after? I get a lot out of this forum so I work for free. :)

glock-coma

I just tried this.....I think it actually works. It was about 51 degrees in my garage  the car was in park running for about 2 mins.

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

ecoboostsho

Very cool. On my drive of about 15 miles and I hit 125...its 5 degrees out here and I had to stay below 50 so I didn't expect it to get too warm. Seems like a good result. The best test is to compare it to your iat's on startup after the car sits overnight.

glock-coma

Ok going on about a half hour trip on the highway here in a few minutes.   I'll keep an eye on the temp . Here's a screenshot of the actual IAT and transmission temp next to each other.

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)