• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SHO making an "warped rotor" sound but brakes are fine... Wheel bearing?

Started by jimmyducati, February 12, 2014, 02:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyducati

My '10 SHO started making a warped rotor occulting sound a couple weeks ago and its gotten progressively worse in the last few days. I don't think its the brakes because i don't feel anything in the brake pedal and also have no feedback in the steering wheel, both are smooth under all driving conditions. It sounds like a wheel bearing that has gone bad... Is this a common problem with the SHO, and would this be covered on the Ford Certified Pre-Owned 100k mile power/drivetrain warranty?

I took the car through the mountains in north GA last fall and heard a sound similar to this after BLASTING down the tail of the dragon.. figured the front wheel bearings got a bit warm, stopped for lunch and the sound was gone when we got underway again. Now the sound is back full time...
2010 White SHO w/two tone interior
2005 Ducati 999s  (the daily ridder)
1998 Ducati 916  (the beauty queen)
1995 Ducati 900ss (the track terror)
1978 Harley Davidson Shovelhead

yowen

I had a wheel bearing replaced at about 50k miles, it was covered under powertrain warranty. My car would make noise on the highway when I went straight, and increased as I veered left and all but went away as I veered right.

A warped rotor I usually feel rather than hear. The car tends to surge as you stop as it brakes less/more/less/more very quickly.

So as to the actual cause, does the sound occur during any driving condition, at speed, while turning?
2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

shoman04

How many miles do you have on you PTU oil change? My PTU went out at 60k and it was making noise like that at the beganing.
2011 KONA BLU SHO,Livernois Tune,AIRAID CAI,DYNOMAX MUFFLEs,Newest member of the 12sec CLUB 12.669sec @ 107mph    2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH NEW FOR 2013LMS down-pipe,Magnaflow X-pipe,and Custom 2.5"exhaust pipe!! Meth and stage 5 next to be install!!!!!! METH DYNO TUNE today 405AWHP!!!WOW LMS track day 12.4209sec   :mike1:

jimmyducati

Car makes the sound all the time at speeds above 10-15 mph. Im 99% sure its a wheel bearing, but this is my first AWD car so Im a bit unfamiliar with how the front end goes together with axles and all so I thought posing the ? here would get me an awnser.. Good to know you had it replaced under the power train warranty..

Now, should I reload the factory tune before taking it in to be looked at?
Anyone know of a "tune friendly" service dept in the Louisville Kentucky area?

jimmyducati

That looks nasty!! It is distinctly coming from the right front corner, so I have doubts that it is my PTO... But the car has 49k on it and was told it had all the fluids changed while the dealer had it for sale (part of the certified pre owned deal). Should I change the fluid just to be on the safe side?

yowen

I should have also mentioned that the particular wheelbearing I had replaced was on a wheel that got hit during a low(ish) speed accident. I too was hearing noises from one particular corner, it started at high speed and as it got worse I could hear it at lower and lower speeds.

I doubt the tune should be a problem with this particular issue, if it really is wheel (bearing) related I doubt they'd even think to look for a tune, but I don't have any experience with it either, so don't take my word for it.
2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

SHOdded

I doubt the PTU fluid ever got changed, as the discussion surrounding it is fairly recent, and Ford has no official procedure to replace that fluid.  So if you can change it out, at worst, you will have ensured continued proper lubrication of the PTU and extended its' service life.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

futat2

To check your wheel baring, just jack up the side of the car you think it is (only enough to get the wheel just off the ground) grab the sides of the tire and shake back and forth. you will feel if the baring is bad. it should be stiff not "wiggly".

Edit: By shake back and forth, I mean push with one hand and pull with the other and do that back and forth without actually forcing the wheel to turn.
2013 SHO PP, Sparkly Black
bone stock (for now)
Got the windows tinted, 15% all around

jimmyducati

I checked the wheel bearing play this morning before I posted up, should have included that in the o.g. post.. With zero feedback in the steering or brake pedal the only thing it really could be is the wheel bearing. Going to drop it off monday morning to get checked out.

Already re-installed the stock tune, might even put the stock wheels back on before I take it in

shoman04

Quote from: jimmyducati on February 12, 2014, 03:28:16 PM
That looks nasty!! It is distinctly coming from the right front corner, so I have doubts that it is my PTO... But the car has 49k on it and was told it had all the fluids changed while the dealer had it for sale (part of the certified pre owned deal). Should I change the fluid just to be on the safe side?
My PTU sound like a right front wheel bearing to. Ford said that there no PTU oil change needed on it. But here on the forum it is the option that the Ecoboosted  cars members it should be change every 30k. Because Hi-performance  Mustangs have there rear drif. change every 50k but the V6 only every 200k. Here a thread on the subject. http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=1956.0
2011 KONA BLU SHO,Livernois Tune,AIRAID CAI,DYNOMAX MUFFLEs,Newest member of the 12sec CLUB 12.669sec @ 107mph    2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH NEW FOR 2013LMS down-pipe,Magnaflow X-pipe,and Custom 2.5"exhaust pipe!! Meth and stage 5 next to be install!!!!!! METH DYNO TUNE today 405AWHP!!!WOW LMS track day 12.4209sec   :mike1:

jimmyducati

Made an appointment to have the car looked at tomorrow at 8am. Its still under the 100k warranty so as long as it gets fixed ill be happy.. maybe happier if its the PTO instead of the wheel bearing, one less thing for me to worry about down the road!

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jimmyducati

Dropped it off this morning and it was ready 2 hours later, they said it was the right front wheel bearing and it was R&R'd. A few miles down the road and it was making the same noise again, so in my book its not fixed.. Just turned 50k miles this week, going to take it back monday morning and have them look at it again, maybe tell them to drive it on the highway at speed instead of just down the main road for the test drive.

jimmyducati

It was done under warranty (they never said anything about my staggered wheel setup) so thats good, but I think I'm going to put the stock wheels back on when I take it back monday... With all the talk on here about the RDU and the PTU being culprits with this sound, I don't want to give them any reason to void the 100k mile warranty!

thatsmrgimp2u

I get a vibration / hum sound and some slight wheel feedback when over 85 mph. When I apply the brakes at speed I hear vibration more than I feel it. I have already replaced the front rotors and pads and will be doing the rears soon. I'm hoping its the rear brakes or a bearing and not the ptu. Only have 43k on the clock but still haven't replaced its fluid.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2011 ISM SHO;  SCT X3 (Unleashed), Airaid Intake, PPE Downpipes, Magnaflow Mufflers and X-pipe with Vibrant resonators, 170 Thermostat, H&R Springs, RX CSS
12.91@107