• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SHO making an "warped rotor" sound but brakes are fine... Wheel bearing?

Started by jimmyducati, February 12, 2014, 02:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyducati

I made arraingments to leave the SHO at the dealer for as long as they could possibly need it (6 week business trip for me) so I took the TSW's off and put the original wheels back on because I know they won't be as careful when R&Ring wheels... Took it for a 10 mile spin and magically, NO MORE NOISE!! I can't see how installing a set of much heavier wheels with well worn tires can make that sound go away... Other than the fact that my TSW's are staggered and as close as the tire diameters match, they are still ever so slightly different. Now I'm wondering if the difference in tire height is causing the noise in the PTU?
2010 White SHO w/two tone interior
2005 Ducati 999s  (the daily ridder)
1998 Ducati 916  (the beauty queen)
1995 Ducati 900ss (the track terror)
1978 Harley Davidson Shovelhead

SwampRat

Quote from: jimmyducati on February 18, 2014, 07:22:02 PM
I made arraingments to leave the SHO at the dealer for as long as they could possibly need it (6 week business trip for me) so I took the TSW's off and put the original wheels back on because I know they won't be as careful when R&Ring wheels... Took it for a 10 mile spin and magically, NO MORE NOISE!! I can't see how installing a set of much heavier wheels with well worn tires can make that sound go away... Other than the fact that my TSW's are staggered and as close as the tire diameters match, they are still ever so slightly different. Now I'm wondering if the difference in tire height is causing the noise in the PTU?

Could be  ,  bpd1151 says you got to be VERY careful when staggering .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

jimmyducati

Im using the same size tires as bpd.. Really hope the sound comes back with the stock wheels on!
2010 White SHO w/two tone interior
2005 Ducati 999s  (the daily ridder)
1998 Ducati 916  (the beauty queen)
1995 Ducati 900ss (the track terror)
1978 Harley Davidson Shovelhead

68_GT

I'd never go staggered with AWD. It was a no no with my last car too (G35x) according to everyone on the G35driver.com forums.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

68_GT

My 2000 GT Mustang had two bad wheel bearing at about 100k miles. It sounded like a roaring road noise. The car was much quieter after they were replaced. Bad rotors is a feeling not a sound that I've ever heard.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

Boggus

Strange but I get that kind of sound every now and then on my 2013 SHO.  Coming to a stop I get a grinding type noise on the right front side/brake.  Now it doesn't do this all the time but it's still there and I have 20k miles now.

Strange in the fact that my Taurus Interceptor does the same thing.  I thought Ford had a TSB or bulletin on this somewhere in the world.
2013 unleashed SHO PP

SHOdded

There is a TSB for rotor/pad grinding sound, a quick summary is here:  http://www.shoforum.com/showpost.php?s=e994fbc368d053022a8ad9663dc12ceb&p=1217965&postcount=1

To quote:
TSB 10-17-3 concerns Front Brakes Intermittent Grunt or Grinding.
Models affected:
Taurus and Taurus SHO Built on or before 28 Jul 2010

Taurus SHO w/PP Built on or Before 10 Aug 2010

The fix: If your model has the noise the fix is to remove and replace the rotors, pads, and anchor brackets. THE PADS WILL NOT BE REPLACED on the SHO PP, just the Rotors.

The Part Numbers:
BB5Z-2001-A Brake Kit except SHO PP
CB5Z-1125-A Rotor
BB5Z-2B292-D Right Bracket SHO
BB5Z-2B293-D Left Bracket SHO
BG1Z-2B292-A Right Bracket SHO PP
BG1Z-2B293-A Left Bracket SHO PP

Preceded by 11-05-15
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!