• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SUBS!

Started by johnbowler, February 09, 2014, 11:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnbowler

I am picking up my new 2014 SHO this week.  One of the first things I have done to just about every car I have owned is upgrade the stereo.  I haven't spent much time with the car (obviously, since I don't own it yet) but I am thinking of adding a good subwoofer to the car.  I have a JL Audio 12w6v2 in my old WRX with a dedicated 500 watt JL amp.  Thinking of upgrading to a 13W7v3 in the SHO.  First off, how is the stereo in the SHO?  Does it make sense to add a sub?  Does the Sony headunit have the ability to add a sub and amp easily?

The HUGE trunk in the SHO is just calling out for a subwoofer!

FracaSHO

It's been discontinued but JL made a stealth box with a 13W7 sub to fit in the trunk where the spare tire, or air compressor, goes. They were selling what they had left at a discount. JL also has a new amp that works like 2 amps for the door speakers and sub. I looked into my 2010 and was told I could retain factory head unit and sync.

Brad
2010 SHO with PP
Sent from my iPhone
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

johnbowler

That stealth box would be awesome!!!!!  I have an additional amp that I can use for the speakers.  A/D/S amp and a/d/s speakers.  Don't know if the speakers will fit (they were bought for my WRX) but I know the amp works.  I forget the amount of power, but it is powerful...I know it is over 500 watts total.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

johnbowler

I got the car (with PP!) on Tuesday and already realized that the functionality of the Sync system is great, but the sound is marginal at best with no bass.  I'm going to live with the car for a little while longer, but I believe I am going to upgrade the speakers all around, add an amp and at least 1 sub.  Since I don't have a spare (I have the PP) I would love to use that empty space for amp/sub.  Anyone know how many speakers are in the car? 

Kolk1

SRT82ECOBOOST

Quote from: johnbowler on February 13, 2014, 08:29:57 AM
I got the car (with PP!) on Tuesday and already realized that the functionality of the Sync system is great, but the sound is marginal at best with no bass.  I'm going to live with the car for a little while longer, but I believe I am going to upgrade the speakers all around, add an amp and at least 1 sub.  Since I don't have a spare (I have the PP) I would love to use that empty space for amp/sub.  Anyone know how many speakers are in the car?
Just did my install and I used the spare tire space for my amp rack location. It works really well, but I am now realizing that the carpeted floor covering will need additional support to cover that area as it flexes under the weight of the subwoofer box.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

SHOdded

Quote from: Kolk1 on February 13, 2014, 09:20:39 AM
12 I believe.
and each component is counted as 1 of the 12.  So 12 altogether, but not 12 "fullrange".
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

johnbowler

Where are the speakers located?  I assume one each in the front doors, one pair each in the rear door and the other two pairs would be on the rear deck?  Where can I look for the sizes of the speakers?  I have a couple of a/d/s speakers from my Subaru and wonder if they would fit.  Probably won't since that's how these things work...but figure I will check.

Quote from: SHOdded on February 13, 2014, 09:52:45 AM
Quote from: Kolk1 on February 13, 2014, 09:20:39 AM
12 I believe.
and each component is counted as 1 of the 12.  So 12 altogether, but not 12 "fullrange".

Kolk1

1inch tweeters in the Pillars and a center channel
6x8s in the front doors
6x8s in the rear doors, plus tweeters up top.
6x9s in the rear deck as factory "subs" lol
And a rear center channel.

johnbowler

Those "subs" are a joke.  I bet they can't handle anything below 100hz.
Quote from: Kolk1 on February 13, 2014, 11:46:59 PM
1inch tweeters in the Pillars and a center channel
6x8s in the front doors
6x8s in the rear doors, plus tweeters up top.
6x9s in the rear deck as factory "subs" lol
And a rear center channel.

Kolk1

Didnt say they were. lol

As far as frequency, the front door 6x8s are the only full range speaker. So when adding a sub to the stock system, they are the ones you want to tap for signal.

For my tastes, the factory subs are crossed over to low, I think they maxed out around 80hz, and dont go high enough for 80s/90s rock alternative music, typically 80-110hz or so.

The rear doors are high pass, so you obviously cant use them for subs either.

BiGMaC

It is sad that there are only 2 full range channels... to much for the front door speakers.  Personally I Prefer subs passed about 50-60Hz... Subs are to be felt more than heard.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

johnbowler

If subs don't go down below 80hz, they are just woofers.  subs are felt and heard.

Quote from: BiGMaC on February 15, 2014, 01:49:50 AM
It is sad that there are only 2 full range channels... to much for the front door speakers.  Personally I Prefer subs passed about 50-60Hz... Subs are to be felt more than heard.

Lanson

I would worry less about the sub, and more about the enclosure.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune