• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SUBS!

Started by johnbowler, February 09, 2014, 11:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Quote from: Lanson on February 15, 2014, 07:23:20 PM
I would worry less about the sub, and more about the enclosure.

Right on!  A sub must have the proper enclosure to perform as we want, no matter the particular speaker!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

johnbowler

I don't agree.  A sub not designed to go down below 40hz isn't going to sound good no matter what kind of box it is in.

johnbowler

The door speakers are a really good size!  Should be able to get some decent performance out of something that large!  I am really looking forward to building a system.  The more I listen to the system, the more I dislike the speakers.

BiGMaC

Quote from: johnbowler on February 16, 2014, 06:28:26 PM
I don't agree.  A sub not designed to go down below 40hz isn't going to sound good no matter what kind of box it is in.

Completely agree with you... perhaps my sub definition is slightly different.  I believe a good subwoofer can go to the edge of or below human sonic frequencies before it reaches the impedance spike which is way above the 2 Db down point... That gives us the part of the experience we can't completely hear... at or below 20Hz. (My OZ 12" superman subs with DVCs were linear to  the spike at 5Hz.. with a 1.8cu ft box and polyfill... true and accurate from 5-80 Hz).....

If a speaker won't produce sounds below 40Hz at or above the impedance spike or at least above the 2 Db down point... Then I call it a woofer and not a sub...

As I said, I agree with you that pushing a speaker to do what it was not designed to do always sounds bad.   But a bad enclosure can make the best sub in the  world sound bad and never reach it's potential or max electrical excursion.

Lanson

Can't squeeze blood out of a turnip
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

Lanson

Usually when people complain about lack on a system, it isn't because the sub is the wrong one or low quality, it is because the alignment (box) is wrong, or not well made. 

One of my favorite things is to take what should be s*** equipment and make it sound fantastic.  It is all in the execution.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

johnbowler

Need to have both good equipment and good enclosure.  You can compensate for one with the other, but it won't be great unless both are working in unison.

Having said that, all I want is  a system that will sound good and have some deep bass (20Hz give or take).  don't need to blow out the windows or be heard 4 blocks away.

How is the head unit in the SHO?  I don't want to have to get a new head unit but garbage in, garbage out.  Without a good signal, the best equipment will sound like crap.

Quote from: Lanson on February 18, 2014, 11:47:18 AM
Usually when people complain about lack on a system, it isn't because the sub is the wrong one or low quality, it is because the alignment (box) is wrong, or not well made. 

One of my favorite things is to take what should be s*** equipment and make it sound fantastic.  It is all in the execution.