• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What is wrong with the suspension in the car I test drove?

Started by johnbowler, February 01, 2014, 09:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnbowler

So I test drove a 2014 SHO last week and liked the way it drove and handled.  My wife test drove a different SHO and liked the way it drove and handled.  We went to look at another one today (the one that we want to buy) and drove it but it rode very hard and jittery.  Rode like my WRX, not the other 2 SHO's we test drove.

Theories?

SHOdded

How much mileage on each of these SHOs, all new?  PP or non-PP?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

johnbowler

First one had 3,000 miles, next one had 100 and the one with the "issue" had 25.  All non-pp.  I can't find one with PP on Long Island.  Don't exist unless I order and I don't have time for that.

BiGMaC

Quote from: johnbowler on February 01, 2014, 09:38:48 PM
So I test drove a 2014 SHO last week and liked the way it drove and handled.  My wife test drove a different SHO and liked the way it drove and handled.  We went to look at another one today (the one that we want to buy) and drove it but it rode very hard and jittery.  Rode like my WRX, not the other 2 SHO's we test drove.

Theories?

I have a 2013... It had 1400 miles on it and I have always loved the ride.

The first thing I would check is the information displays (screen to the left of the speedometer) to see what suspension mode the car is in... options are Sport, Normal, and Comfort  (stiffest going to softest).  Most likely this is what the difference was.   If the dealer doesn't know the instructions are about page 121 in the manual.  The suspension control is under "settings"

SHOdded hinted at the another one... a little run-in still needed to "flex" the springs.

Did you drive them on the same surfaces (roads) or different ones?... that of course could be one effector.

Tire pressure differences could also be in play...

If the rough one had aftermarket larger wheels with shorter sidewalls and therefore less air at a given pressure that could be a big change

If the tires were different makes, that could contribute due to sidewall stiffness differences.

Check out the simple things first.  If you really want the one that rode rough tell the dealer it has to be fixed.  It is possible something is not right, and at 25 miles, would likely not have been noticed yet.
I would not accept the run-in explanation, if that's all you can come up with, without an agreement from the dealer that it should be fine by (miles) or they will repair.

Or just look for another one.. they should be able to get what you want from another dealer.

But get one... you will love it!!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

DJE624

Great diagnosis Dr. BiGMaC.  I agree with the prognosis.  John, you definitely need a SHO to cure what ails you!

pejohnson

Really, you change the suspension settings on these cars??  Mine is parked in my garage for the winter but I want to go out and check this out if this is true.  I've played with the setting quite a bit but did not see anything regarding changing the suspension settings. 
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

BiGMaC

Quote from: BiGMaC on February 01, 2014, 10:52:23 PM
I have a 2013... It had 1400 miles on it and I have always loved the ride.

The first thing I would check is the information displays (screen to the left of the speedometer) to see what suspension mode the car is in... options are Sport, Normal, and Comfort  (stiffest going to softest).  Most likely this is what the difference was.   If the dealer doesn't know the instructions are about page 121 in the manual.  The suspension control is under "settings"

SHOdded hinted at the another one... a little run-in still needed to "flex" the springs.

Did you drive them on the same surfaces (roads) or different ones?... that of course could be one effector.

Tire pressure differences could also be in play...

If the rough one had aftermarket larger wheels with shorter sidewalls and therefore less air at a given pressure that could be a big change

If the tires were different makes, that could contribute due to sidewall stiffness differences.

Check out the simple things first.  If you really want the one that rode rough tell the dealer it has to be fixed.  It is possible something is not right, and at 25 miles, would likely not have been noticed yet.
I would not accept the run-in explanation, if that's all you can come up with, without an agreement from the dealer that it should be fine by (miles) or they will repair.

Or just look for another one.. they should be able to get what you want from another dealer.

But get one... you will love it!!

Click the image to enlarge:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

johnbowler

Thanks for the great responses.  I wasn't aware that the car bad different suspension settings.  Nothing I read said anything about different settings!  The roads I drove on were similar.  Actually, the roads I drove on in the car yesterday were probably the smoothest.  All wheels were 19 inchers and factory wheels.  I don't know about the tires.  Didn't check on that one.  HAD to be the settings (I hope).

SRT82ECOBOOST

2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

BiGMaC

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on February 02, 2014, 08:07:42 AM
So how do you actually change the suspension settings?

On the '13 at least...

•Select settings in the in the left screen (or on the main touch screen if you want... I just try never to touch it personally)
•Toggle to "Driver Select Suspension" and selecting it will bring up choices
   -> If your transmission is in "D" you will see three options: Sport / Normal / Comfort
   -> If your transmission is in "S"  you will see two options: Sport / Normal
•Select the one you want, Hit OK when toggling back out of the menu

It is an option.  The manual says if it doesn't appear the car doesn't have it. This info is on the page before the one I posted.

Brucelinc

Are you guys with 2013 SHOs saying your cars were available with the driver adjustable suspension?  I thought  that was a Lincoln-only feature.  I realize the owners manuals for the Taurus and MKS show the same information about that but I was not aware it was even an option on the Taurus.  There is certainly nothing about it in any sales brochures with the Taurus.  In Lincoln sales materials, it is a major highlight.

SHO MAN

I don't recall this adjustable suspension being an option on the SHO. I've had my 2013 (non PP) since October and have never seen this in the menu. Is this on the Lincolns maybe?

BiGMaC

Quote from: Brucelinc on February 02, 2014, 10:47:53 AM
Are you guys with 2013 SHOs saying your cars were available with the driver adjustable suspension?  I thought  that was a Lincoln-only feature.  I realize the owners manuals for the Taurus and MKS show the same information about that but I was not aware it was even an option on the Taurus.  There is certainly nothing about it in any sales brochures with the Taurus.  In Lincoln sales materials, it is a major highlight.

Perhaps this is the answer to the mystery!

Brucelinc

Quote from: SHO MAN on February 02, 2014, 10:50:02 AM
I don't recall this adjustable suspension being an option on the SHO. I've had my 2013 (non PP) since October and have never seen this in the menu. Is this on the Lincolns maybe?

It is definitely on the 2013 and newer MKS.  I do not believe it is available on the SHO regardless of what the manual says or what the menu options are under "settings."  If it is available on the SHO, I will gladly eat crow - medium well, if you please. 

johnbowler

My salesperson isn't in today but I will call her tomorrow and ask her some of these questions.  My theory?  I know some other manufacturers deliver their cars with "pucks" in the suspension to prevent the cars bouncing around during transit.  I have read that some people that complain of their suspension still have these in their car.  This car was on the showroom floor so was probably never prepped.  That's my theory.