• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How to get better MPG ?

Started by Rojas1489, January 28, 2014, 09:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rojas1489

How to get better MPG on 2010 Taurus SHO? What is everyone else averaging for MPG with their SHO?

DJE624

Not sure what I'm getting right now but a tune ought to get you a mile or two or three.

curry67

Usually get 12-16 litres per 100km. or 14 mpg to 19 in city. Then 21-26 on highway.

SwampRat

25 to 28 mpg at 75ish on the HWY... about 18 around  town  , stop n go traffic .

If you want better ya got to baby it , keep your foot out of it and use cruise control .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

Rojas1489

What exactly does a tune consist of? I was thinking about getting a cold air intake but I have read mixed reviews on this forum so I'm kind of confused now??

curry67

I find its good on highway pretty bad in city. I kind of expected it though. I drive spirited lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

DJE624

A tune modifys how your car's computer runs the engine.  In most cases it is used for maximizing the power output.  It sets new parameters for boost control, air/fuel mixture and timing among other things.  One of the results is better gas mileage if you don't keep your foot in it.  The bad part, as far as mileage goes is that with all the new found power, you will keep your foot in it. 

Rojas1489

How do you tune it? Do I have to buy a tuner?

DJE624

Regarding an intake, there is not a true cold air intake available as a single bolt on option.  The K&N Typhoon is a  short ram intake.  The Air Raid is pretty close to a cold air intake in that it seals the box off pretty well.  A true CAI would take all of its air from the out side of the car and send it to the turbos.  A stock box with a K&N drop in really does just as well as any aftermarket intake.  The aftermarket intakes look and sound prettier. 

REDSHOCGO

I have not got over 17.6 miles per gallon
2010 Red Candy Sho 402a option non/pp w/unleashed tune,3 bar map, k & N CAI, Corsa catback exhaust, tints 35% front 20% back vta conversion,plastidipped front grill (matteblack), Curva Concept C7 wheels w/20" toyo proxes +4 and Sony Xperia z running torque pro
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited tinted
2007 Pontiac G6 GTP cpe w/crab intake,Led sequential taillights, custom exhaust(now gone)

DJE624

Quote from: Rojas1489 on January 28, 2014, 10:02:48 PM
How do you tune it? Do I have to buy a tuner?

Yes.  You have to buy a tuner and tunes.  I prefer Livernois but a lot of guys use Unleashed too.  I would read through the tune threads and feel free to PM anybody you might have questions for. 

SwampRat

Quote from: REDSHOCGO on January 28, 2014, 10:04:59 PM

LEAD FOOT ! !  L O L
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

DJE624

I got 25.XX on interstate/country roads with 93 Octane using the cruise set at 62 country and 72 interstate.

REDSHOCGO

Yes I have heard good things about lms tunes however I chose an unleashed tune and am very happy with it. I think you cannot go wrong with either one and as power to price goes a tune would be your best bet as well as increasing the efficiency slightly when your not putting the pedal to floor that is
2010 Red Candy Sho 402a option non/pp w/unleashed tune,3 bar map, k & N CAI, Corsa catback exhaust, tints 35% front 20% back vta conversion,plastidipped front grill (matteblack), Curva Concept C7 wheels w/20" toyo proxes +4 and Sony Xperia z running torque pro
2007 Pontiac G6 GTP cpe w/crab intake,Led sequential taillights, custom exhaust(now gone)

REDSHOCGO

Quote from: kbeck59 on January 28, 2014, 10:09:10 PM

LEAD FOOT ! !  L O L
Lol between that and city driving I soppose. Can't help it I have a heavy foot