• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How to get better MPG ?

Started by Rojas1489, January 28, 2014, 09:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjhpadi

Quote from: Frozen Taurus on February 02, 2014, 04:29:13 PM
I pop it into neutral and coast down every hill I can
I've been told this is just asking for problems, that the transmission does not circulate fluid correctly when in neutral and moving and will cause overheating and transmission problems.  I would also expect that this is hard on the PTU. Honestly, no need to do this if you just allow the car to coast down hills.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

futat2

[/quote]
I've been told this is just asking for problems, that the transmission does not circulate fluid correctly when in neutral and moving and will cause overheating and transmission problems.  I would also expect that this is hard on the PTU. Honestly, no need to do this if you just allow the car to coast down hills.
[/quote]
Many people will argue with you and say "Ive never had an issue and been doing it for 100 years on the same car" but you are 100% correct on the tranny, However I am not sure about the PTU that we use as I have never worked on one.
2013 SHO PP, Sparkly Black
bone stock (for now)
Got the windows tinted, 15% all around

Frozen Taurus

Quote from: mjhpadi on February 03, 2014, 06:35:07 PM

well the longest I go is maybe a 1/4 mile and most times I pop it back into D before I slow down too much. There is quite a bit of drag when in D vs N ... I actually pick up speed sometimes
2011 Tuxedo Black SHO non PP, K&N drop in, TCE Big Brake Kit, Megan Racing Coilovers
My other car is a 447 awhp Talon

futat2

Quote from: Frozen Taurus on February 03, 2014, 07:10:55 PM
Quote from: mjhpadi on February 03, 2014, 06:35:07 PM

well the longest I go is maybe a 1/4 mile and most times I pop it back into D before I slow down too much. There is quite a bit of drag when in D vs N ... I actually pick up speed sometimes
Thats the issue, When you shift it to N all the fluid in the tranny drains into the pan wail it just free spins and creates a lot of heat. When you put it back in drive it shocks the hell out of the drive plates and is also very hard on the shift relays. not to mention the excessive force it puts on the torque converter.
bone stock (for now)

Larrylu

I kind of thought that in 6th gear (overdrive) that I was free wheeling. When I engage Sport Mode I stay in 5th and can feel a lot more drag when going downhill.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

futat2

When you are in OD you are at a 1 to 1 ratio some trannys just below a 1 to 1 and that is done by gearing but most definitely has pressure in the tranny provided by the fluid to hold it there. Neutral is the only position when the fluid has no pressure to it at all.
bone stock (for now)

Frozen Taurus

K not gonna do the N thing anymore ...not worth the risk or small gain in MPG
2011 Tuxedo Black SHO non PP, K&N drop in, TCE Big Brake Kit, Megan Racing Coilovers
My other car is a 447 awhp Talon

Larrylu

Quote from: futat2 on February 03, 2014, 07:45:41 PM
When you are in OD you are at a 1 to 1 ratio some trannys just below a 1 to 1 and that is done by gearing but most definitely has pressure in the tranny provided by the fluid to hold it there. Neutral is the only position when the fluid has no pressure to it at all.

I'm sure I have read that 5th gear is one to one and 6th is overdriven. Only question in my mind is if there is free wheeling in 6th.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

futat2

Quote from: Larrylu on February 03, 2014, 08:04:28 PM

Quote from: futat2 on February 03, 2014, 07:45:41 PM

I'm sure I have read that 5th gear is one to one and 6th is overdriven. Only question in my mind is if there is free wheeling in 6th.
No free wheeling in any gear, other wise you would have no forward or rearward movement. Like i said thou some use 1 to 1 and some are just under a 1 to 1 for overdrive. I haven't looked at the gearing in the tranny for a SHO yet.
bone stock (for now)

SVTPete83

5th is 1 to 1 and 6th is .74 to one.

wasinger3000

Synthetic in the ptu and rdu helped my mpg a little. I usually average 24-26 at 78.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.