• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

BOV to VTA

Started by 2010SHOtime, January 27, 2014, 10:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRT82ECOBOOST

2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

Mikesb

I still don't quite understand how the Bo system is set up on our cars.

Do they have a factory bov that can be replaced with an after market on the will achieve desired results?

Going through all the post it looks like one by intake manifold and then that latest pic of that thing on opposite side of the front valve cover (that you put the filter on)

2013 SHO PP BLACK 7k mi - 12.9 @107  LMS 91 v8 METH TUNE - ALKY CONTROLS METH - 3-BAR - AIRAID - PPE DP'S w/cats - CORSA CB - PLUGS - T-STAT - UPGRADE AUDIO
PORTLAND OREGON

ONLYA6

Two electronic valves on the charge pipe from the rear turbo. Technically they should be called a "bypass" valve jf they are routing the air back into the intake. There really isn't any room for one on the charge pipe from the front turbo so I'm sure that is the reason for 2.  One closest to the rear turbo and one closer to the intercooler( and front turbo). Both vent back into the intake pipe. Since this car doesn't have a MAF sensor it doesn't matter what happens to the air from these valves.

There is no reason to put a filter on the ends of the factory valves or any. A blow off valve should have zero restriction and obviously does not need filtered. This is about as dumb as putting air filters on your exhaust tips. Think about it.

You have 2 options for change.

- Stock valves, vented to atmosphere. Capping off the intake pipe. Now you can call it a "blow off" valve.

- Ecoboost power parts hot (charge) pipes and an aftermarket mechanical blow off valve.

It would be nice to see someone make a direct replacement mechanical non plastic valves for the factory charge pipe. Would need to come up with some sort of a plug to go into the factory bypass valve harness to trick the car into thinking they are still there. I'm going to look into making something like this is LMS can't "turn off" the factory valves with the tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steven

2013 Taurus SHO - Best ET 12.7/ MPH 110
1999 Mustang V6 - Turbo - 474 whp 431 wtq

SRT82ECOBOOST

^^^With the amount of road salt and sand used around my parts, there is no way I would leave any opening to the air flow into my engine and therefore I introduced the filter. Especially since I have no means to confirm that the factory BOV does not introduce any vacuum.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged

SwampRat

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on February 21, 2014, 09:09:22 AM
^^^With the amount of road salt and sand used around my parts, there is no way I would leave any opening to the air flow into my engine and therefore I introduced the filter. Especially since I have no means to confirm that the factory BOV does not introduce any vacuum.

Better safe than sorry and it wont hurt anything and probably LOOKS cool !
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

Josephm

The won't hurt anything is not confirmed as your restricting the air being released, meaning all the air is not being release the same as without a filter.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

SRT82ECOBOOST

Quote from: Josephm on February 21, 2014, 02:16:29 PM
The won't hurt anything is not confirmed as your restricting the air being released, meaning all the air is not being release the same as without a filter.
Without have the tools or formulas to calculate or measure it, I am not sure that the filter itself creates any more friction loss than the original setup that has a short section of tubing going into a t-shape convergence of air flows. One thing I am sure of is that I will not get any debris vacuumed through the BOV with a filter.

DJE624

Many thanks to Chuck for the red caps.  With the front cover, and the red battery terminal cover, it's just the right little splash of color to go with the Typhoon's filter. But the big deal was, it prodded me to get that back hose off the rear BOV.  Take the BOV off with the two bolts (I think it was 8mm-long), use a small screwdriver to spin the clamp around to where you can get a pair of pliers on it and ..... Presto!  It's off! 

crash712us

Yes thank you chuck! Received my caps today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

20ecoboost10

Anyone else have extra red caps I could purchase as McMaster will not sell to me me as I am Canadian, they will not even ship to my US address in Blaine Washington because they do sell to Canadian customers period !

They canceled my order
2010 Flex Limited Ecoboost

SHOmanMike84

Quote from: 20ecoboost10 on February 24, 2014, 11:52:02 PM
Anyone else have extra red caps I could purchase as McMaster will not sell to me me as I am Canadian, they will not even ship to my US address in Blaine Washington because they do sell to Canadian customers period !

They canceled my order

I still have a few left over.

I'm out of town for work, return the 5th, if you aren't in a hurry PM me and we can work something out.

2013 SHO, PP, Unleashed E25 tune, 3bar, aFe panel filter, 170* thermo, PPE catted DP's, 3rd cat delete, Eibach springs, Black powder coated flower wheels.

Josephm

I just got mine today as well so I have extras if anyone is interested
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

bpd1151

I was asked recently, where I purchased my silicone end caps from, when upgrading to the new hard, hot pipes.

Well, here's the link:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=330725834159

You can order any size diameter desired, but 25mm is what I got.

They come with clamps, & your choice of red, blue, or black.

Come two, per order.

I too, albeit temporarily, used some of the alternative options listed previously (discussed within this thread) but was concerned about longevity in the engine compartment.

The product I listed, resolved those concerns for me.

Hope it's of some help to those looking / needing such items.

Yes, I did check Samco Silicone hoses 1st, but they were nearly double in price, at only one piece per order.

Heck with that! :doh:

Carry on good people.

The "other" Mike :beer:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

REDSHOCGO

My only concern is turbo spool. I've don't the conversion but doesn't the recirculation force air and keep the turbos spooling whereas now it has to gather only air from the outside
2010 Red Candy Sho 402a option non/pp w/unleashed tune,3 bar map, k & N CAI, Corsa catback exhaust, tints 35% front 20% back vta conversion,plastidipped front grill (matteblack), Curva Concept C7 wheels w/20" toyo proxes +4 and Sony Xperia z running torque pro
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited tinted
2007 Pontiac G6 GTP cpe w/crab intake,Led sequential taillights, custom exhaust(now gone)

Kolk1

I did this mod yesterday, and normal driving, I never hear it. If I try and act like my car is a manual and snap my foot off the gas, I can barley hear it. If I roll the window down, and turn the stereo off, its "ok".

I think it must be a comparison gap, when people say they can hear the turbo spool due to an intake on these cars, or how loud the stock BOVs are, I don't think you guys have owned a car with a bigger turbo. My last car was a 2010 Genesis Coupe turbo, that I did a big turbo on, bigger fuel system, and the works, and that turbo you hear spooling up over a loud stereo with the windows up, and the BOV could be heard for blocks away.

I think im just going to take my caps off, and return the car to stock. Since I didn't even hear the BOVs once on my 45 minute trip to work, I don't see the point.