• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Another happy LMS tuned SHO owner

Started by MTaurusSHO, January 17, 2014, 12:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTaurusSHO

I installed the 91CW tune last night, all I can say is wow! I can't believe how conservative Ford decided to leave these cars.

I have some questions, I still need to install the colder spark plugs and thermostat. Is there a write up somewhere? I've searched but I can't seem to find one. Or if someone could give me some tips, I wanted to start an this today.
2013 Tuxedo Black Non PP SHO
AirAid, LMS Tuned, Plugs and T-Stat.
2002  MMM Z28
F1 Procharged 408ci

DJE624

Glad you are happy with the tune!  There is a brief write up on plugs somewhere.  Just in the last month.  It's buried in a thread. The T Stat should be easy.  Take out the stock intake box or whatever you have and it's right there. 

MTaurusSHO

Are any fluids lost during the T-stat change? Are the plugs pregapped from LMS ?
2002  MMM Z28
F1 Procharged 408ci

DJE624

Guys have reported losing minimal amounts of fluid up to maybe a cup.  The opening is kind of tilted so you can catch most of it.  I don't know if LMS pre gaps the plugs but you could ask them to, I guess.  They do recommend .30 

BiGMaC

Glad you like the tune!  congrats!

Here's a couple of threads on the spark plugs
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=1404.msg24191#msg24191  (long but a lot of good info)
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=1651.msg20729#msg20729  (short and to the point... but limited info)

A few for the T-Stat:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=995.msg10525#msg10525
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=978.msg10032#msg10032

There are snippets in other threads... search from the forum page for best results. 

Ecoboost performance parts can get the T-Stat at as good a price as i've seen for a good one:
http://shop.ecoboostpowerparts.com/Thermostat-Transverse-V6-Ecoboost-170-degree-Transverse-Tstat.htm

You really want to change the T-Stat and plugs as soon as you can.  I'ts more than performance, but important to prevent knock (predetonation) beyond what the ECM can adjust for with the tune's modified timing... potentially could cause serious engine damage.

Hope this helps!  Rock On!!!!  :beer2:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

BiGMaC

Per Dan at LMS.... LMS uses an expensive and sophisticated tool to gap the plugs..... the standard autoparts house feeler guage doesn't really duplicate it or give the consistency.  However there are other brands and you likely can beat the price.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

DJE624

Quote from: BiGMaC on January 17, 2014, 01:29:04 PM

You really want to change the T-Stat and plugs as soon as you can.  I'ts more than performance, but important to prevent knock (predetonation) beyond what the ECM can adjust for with the tune's modified timing... potentially could cause serious engine damage.

I wasn't aware of this.  I don't think LMS tunes beyond what the ECU can handle.  I will however be doing these upgrades, 170 T Stat and one step cooler plugs, to prevent detonation and lower the heat sink in the engine compartment for over all better performance.

navbtcret

A lot of the 2013's have the colder plugs installed from the factory, they are the same ones Ford uses for the F150 Ecoboost. All you have to do is regap them which is what I did. Now I have a spare set of plugs because I bought a set before I pulled any only to find out mine already had the colder plugs installed. The gaps were all around .038 on the stock plugs but I only had just over 200 miles on the car when I went to change them.
2013 SHO Non PP, LMS 93 Performance v8, 3 Bar MAP, 170 Stat, MDesign CAI, Hot Pipes with TiAL BOV, PPE Catted Downpipes

MTaurusSHO

2002  MMM Z28
F1 Procharged 408ci

BiGMaC

Quote from: DJE624 on January 17, 2014, 01:36:03 PM
Quote from: BiGMaC on January 17, 2014, 01:29:04 PM

I wasn't aware of this.  I don't think LMS tunes beyond what the ECU can handle.  I will however be doing these upgrades, 170 T Stat and one step cooler plugs, to prevent detonation and lower the heat sink in the engine compartment for over all better performance.
Here's what knock can do... These are from a Ford TSB on aftermarket tunes

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SRT82ECOBOOST

What are a new set of plugs going for these days?
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

bpd1151

Quote from: MTaurusSHO on January 17, 2014, 12:40:29 PMI installed the 91CW tune last night, all I can say is wow!

I can't believe how conservative Ford decided to leave these cars.

Congrats! Best bang for the buck for these platforms is hands down, a tune!

Enjoy your newly (re)discovered power!  :drive:

black99lightning

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on January 17, 2014, 02:43:10 PM
What are a new set of plugs going for these days?

3.99 each for SP534's at Oriellys.
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

MTaurusSHO

Got done with the install, the car already had the colder plugs, but I went ahead and installed the new ones since they are gapped closer. I Took the car to the track and it dropped .5 sec, down to a 13.3@103(4300DA). I'll be close to 12s on some race fuel and the 93 tune. Thanks for the help gentlemen.
2002  MMM Z28
F1 Procharged 408ci