• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Another happy LMS tuned SHO owner

Started by MTaurusSHO, January 17, 2014, 12:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomc612

Motorcraft SP534.They come ready to go (pregapped) at .030.It's a rebranded NGK plug that is only 3.99 instead of 12.99. I Highly recommend when running a tune.   

Fast SHO

Anyone have a set of pics for changing out the plugs?
2014 SHO PP

FracaSHO

Quote from: Tomc612 on January 19, 2014, 08:14:24 PM

Motorcraft SP534.They come ready to go (pregapped) at .030.It's a rebranded NGK plug that is only 3.99 instead of 12.99. I Highly recommend when running a tune.

Which NGK plug?  Are they 1 stage colder? 

Brad
2010 SHO with PP
Sent from my iPhone
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

curry67

Are the laser cut ngk the best? My ford dealer shouldnt have problem with aftermarket plugs?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Tomc612

NGK LTR6CI-8 is the sp-534.. heat range 6

BigPelo

I had to re-gap 2 out of 6 of sp534 plugs. They were at 0.033 and 0.034''. Other 4 were between 0.029 and 0.031 so I didn't touch them.
Week-end family transporter: 2013 SHO tuxedo black, performance package, unleashed custom 94 octane tune, K&N Typhoon intake, 170F thermostat, 3 bar MAP sensor, SP534 spark plugs, 5000K HID Morimoto mini D2S projectors retrofit, tinted windows, Full LED lighting in and out, Eibach springs
Daily beater: 2002 WRX wagon swap JDM STi v7 20G'd

DJE624

Cool.  I'll be interested to see where mine are at when I get them. The description said 35.

MTaurusSHO

Quote from: MTaurusSHO on January 18, 2014, 02:54:25 AM
Got done with the install, the car already had the colder plugs, but I went ahead and installed the new ones since they are gapped closer. I Took the car to the track and it dropped .5 sec, down to a 13.3@103(4300DA). I'll be close to 12s on some race fuel and the 93 tune. Thanks for the help gentlemen.

Well I filled up with 5 gallons of VP100 StreetBlaze, and then topped the tank off with Shell 91. I loaded the 93 tune and went for a drive. I didn't get on it for about 20mi, when I did it felt like it gained some low end. Anyone know the power difference between the 91 and 93? I was going to go to the track last night but the weather wouldn't let up and the track was closed. I'll have to enjoy this expensive full tank of fuel I have on the streets of Mexico I suppose.
2013 Tuxedo Black Non PP SHO
AirAid, LMS Tuned, Plugs and T-Stat.
2002  MMM Z28
F1 Procharged 408ci

mjlkwolfe@gmail.com

Hi All
Got the tunes from LMS yesterday.
Have a 2013 Taurus SHO with PP
Mine already has the same plugs my F150 had.
Installed the 93 octane V7 tune
Only tried it a bit but it sure woke up the stock SHO
Love it
70 years old in my second childhood I guess.
Has anyone found out if the F150 hp pump & injectors flow more than the SHO units?
Traded my 2011 F150 eco boost 4x4 Super crew for a 2013 Flex with eco boost eng
May upgrade the Flex also eventually

Larrylu

Quote from: mjlkwolfe@gmail.com on February 08, 2014, 11:20:31 AM
Hi All
Got the tunes from LMS yesterday.
Have a 2013 Taurus SHO with PP
Mine already has the same plugs my F150 had.
Installed the 93 octane V7 tune
Only tried it a bit but it sure woke up the stock SHO
Love it
70 years old in my second childhood I guess.
Has anyone found out if the F150 hp pump & injectors flow more than the SHO units?
Traded my 2011 F150 eco boost 4x4 Super crew for a 2013 Flex with eco boost eng
May upgrade the Flex also eventually

Welcome. Glad to see someone of your vintage on this forum. Yes the SHO makes a great grandpa toy!
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

Quote from: DJE624 on January 17, 2014, 01:36:03 PM
Quote from: BiGMaC on January 17, 2014, 01:29:04 PM

You really want to change the T-Stat and plugs as soon as you can.  I'ts more than performance, but important to prevent knock (predetonation) beyond what the ECM can adjust for with the tune's modified timing... potentially could cause serious engine damage.

I wasn't aware of this.  I don't think LMS tunes beyond what the ECU can handle.  I will however be doing these upgrades, 170 T Stat and one step cooler plugs, to prevent detonation and lower the heat sink in the engine compartment for over all better performance.
When I bought my tuner LMS never said you HAD to change the T stat or the plugs or damage would occur. I would think they would have insisted you must if there was a chance that you could damage your engine. They did recommend making sure the gap was properly set, but did not say you had to change the T stat.
2014 Black SHO
Livernois 93 Tune

BiGMaC

Quote from: 65460 on February 08, 2014, 01:02:39 PM
Quote from: DJE624 on January 17, 2014, 01:36:03 PM
Quote from: BiGMaC on January 17, 2014, 01:29:04 PM

You really want to change the T-Stat and plugs as soon as you can.  I'ts more than performance, but important to prevent knock (predetonation) beyond what the ECM can adjust for with the tune's modified timing... potentially could cause serious engine damage.

I wasn't aware of this.  I don't think LMS tunes beyond what the ECU can handle.  I will however be doing these upgrades, 170 T Stat and one step cooler plugs, to prevent detonation and lower the heat sink in the engine compartment for over all better performance.
When I bought my tuner LMS never said you HAD to change the T stat or the plugs or damage would occur. I would think they would have insisted you must if there was a chance that you could damage your engine. They did recommend making sure the gap was properly set, but did not say you had to change the T stat.
It helps the ECU prevent detonation... It will run fine, but the safety features of the ECU will shut you down and control timing (at least not allow best advance)... thus inhibiting performance if it's trying to prevent knock.  The risk is still there though... no machine is perfect.  BTW, all tunes say something like "load at your own risk", etc.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock