• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LMS car with trans issues while still cold

Started by BMC10SEC50, January 01, 2014, 05:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMC10SEC50

I have a 2013 PP with a LMS 93 tune. It's been pretty cold in NJ lately and I've had an issue with my trans at WOT when the trans is still cold. Besides the hesitation in 3rd gear, last night it felt like I was in my 5.0 and missed a gear. I had to take my foot out of it but it seemed ok after it warmed up. I talked to another(NJ resident also) LMS customer earlier and he's having the same issue. He went back to the stock tune and he said it's fine without the tune. Any thoughts or ideas???
-2013 SHO PP with Unleashed 3 bar tune, CAI, plugs, thermostat, off road downpipes and Corsa exhaust. Best time to date is 12.26@112.47mph.
-1990 5.0 LX(original owner) 349 BOSS block, Twisted Wedge heads, Holley intake, Vortech Si trim. Made 636hp to the wheels with a street tune.

DJE624

Are you guys running the CW Cold Weather tune? 

BMC10SEC50

DJE-I have no idea what that is so I guess not.
-2013 SHO PP with Unleashed 3 bar tune, CAI, plugs, thermostat, off road downpipes and Corsa exhaust. Best time to date is 12.26@112.47mph.
-1990 5.0 LX(original owner) 349 BOSS block, Twisted Wedge heads, Holley intake, Vortech Si trim. Made 636hp to the wheels with a street tune.

DJE624

Email Brandon at LMS.  blowe@livernoismotorsports.com and ask for the CW-Cold Weather tune.  It is supposed to take care of many of the problems that 13-14 SHO and XSport owners encountered when the weather changed. 

BMC10SEC50

Mikesb

One possibility is fuel octane. From what I understand if there is knock being sensed the car will automatically retard itself creating hesitation or miss type issues. Might try 91 tune and see what happens. Just because a gas pump says something it might not be so.

2013 SHO PP BLACK 7k mi - 12.9 @107  LMS 91 v8 METH TUNE - ALKY CONTROLS METH - 3-BAR - AIRAID - PPE DP'S w/cats - CORSA CB - PLUGS - T-STAT - UPGRADE AUDIO
PORTLAND OREGON

Needmoreboost

I would not recommend going WOT on any car that is not up to operating temperature...?

I've run my 93 Unleashed in everything from 100 degrees down to 18 degrees and it runs perfect every time.  Call your tuner. 
2014 Mustang GT/CS: white
Auto with custom Unleashed Tuning
Past honorable mentions: 13 SHO, 08 SRT4, 07 350Z, 03 Cobra, 03 Focus SVT, 00 GT Mustang, 91 LX Notch, etc.

bpd1151

Quote from: Needmoreboost on January 01, 2014, 06:48:34 PMI would not recommend going WOT on any car that is not up to operating temperature...?

I've run my 93 Unleashed in everything from 100 degrees down to 18 degrees and it runs perfect every time.  Call your tuner.

Completely agree.

The concept of pressing a car, particularly in colder temps, when operating temps haven't been achieved & fluids flowing properly is beyond me.

I too have had ZERO issues from having operated my SHO in either end of temperature extremes.

Whether that be well into the triple digits, or below zero temps.

Since I am running an LMS tune, just as the OP reports to, the advice of contacting your tuner, is sound.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

BMC10SEC50

Just sent Brandon an email.

Guys, I realize WOT when the car is cold is probably not the best idea but if it doesn't happen with the stock tune then it shouldn't happen with the LMS tune. I'm also getting a hesitation at times when I hit 3rd gear so something is up here. We'll see what Brandon says.

Thanks guys

bigmoneycloser

I'm in NJ and the other day when the temps were in the 50's, I decided to switch into "sand" mode.
I have the 14 XSport with LMS 93 high boost.
Truck was plenty warmed up as it was running and driving for at least 40 minutes.
I switched to sand at light and went WOT, as I heard people talking about being stronger in sand mode...

For the first two gears(I think only 2) it did feel a lot stronger..... BUT....

Then it abruptly went into neutral and just started revving out....
I immediately let off the gas and pushed it into neutral and then back into drive....

I was shocked and worried....but I had no engine light, no other symptoms of issues or sounds...

I have since not went WOT from a stop but have got on it strong while moving and have had no issues what so ever....

I'm still concerned....
Anyone have this happen before or have any idea what this was and what caused it...

I haven't had any cold weather issues with my tune so I did not request the cold weather tune..

Thx
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

DJE624

That happened to me once on the 1/4.  Except it was at the top of 1st.  I'm pretty sure it was the "granny" kicking in.  Never happened again.

curry67

How do you guys monitor trans temp? or do you just mean the coolant temp? I wouldnt ever floor it when its cold I have to cold start my car everyday. we have tempatures as low as -45 with windchill for a few days at a time. the car always started well I always gave it ample time to get the coolant heated up atleast past the first marker on the gauge.

SHOdded

Transmissions generally warm up slower than the engine.  Maybe twice the amount of time (or more in colder weather).  So yeah, it would be valuable to monitor transmission temp.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

Quote from: SHOdded on January 01, 2014, 11:25:25 PMTransmissions generally warm up slower than the engine.  Maybe twice the amount of time (or more in colder weather).  So yeah, it would be valuable to monitor transmission temp.

So incredibly true!

I see it all the time on my tranny temp gauge.

Consistently twice as long to warm up as the engine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on January 01, 2014, 08:07:36 PM
I'm in NJ and the other day when the temps were in the 50's, I decided to switch into "sand" mode.
I have the 14 XSport with LMS 93 high boost.
Truck was plenty warmed up as it was running and driving for at least 40 minutes.
I switched to sand at light and went WOT, as I heard people talking about being stronger in sand mode...

For the first two gears(I think only 2) it did feel a lot stronger..... BUT....

Then it abruptly went into neutral and just started revving out....
I immediately let off the gas and pushed it into neutral and then back into drive....

I was shocked and worried....but I had no engine light, no other symptoms of issues or sounds...

I have since not went WOT from a stop but have got on it strong while moving and have had no issues what so ever....

I'm still concerned....
Anyone have this happen before or have any idea what this was and what caused it...

I haven't had any cold weather issues with my tune so I did not request the cold weather tune..

Thx

Mine did the same when i tried using that mode. I have not used it since. Most people say they get the best 1/4 times running in normal/manual mode anyway.
I've also had it kick out of gear once when i got into it pretty hard and the road got bumpy. It kicked out of second and did a free rev on me. I let off and it was fine after that.
2014 XSport