• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LMS car with trans issues while still cold

Started by BMC10SEC50, January 01, 2014, 05:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash712us

As others have stated multiple times, not being fully warmed a big no no. Also I have read that are cars will hold gears longer when cold, also 6th is not available until trans reach operating temperature.

On another note about tunes there seems to be a lot complaints about them. More and people seem to get them expect there car to perform like it did stock, except better. As we all do, but to me at least it like comparing apples to oranges stock vs tuned. Why car behaves this way tuned and don't do that stock under same circumstances.

Now I am not trying to be critical of anyone, as a early adopter of tune myself and with other adopters, we had are own thoughts and ideas about early tunes of refinements to them.

But never did seem like complaints, I loved each and everyone of my tunes even more than last one, as there has much improvement from the 1st to the last one.

I guess what I am saying is work with your tuners provide them with feed back of improvements or bugs you having or would like to see, and be patient.

But if your dissatisfied and feel your complaints need to be aired, maybe tuning isn't for you.

Again I am not trying to be critical of of anyone, and we all have high expectations of anything we purchase. But they should be realistic expectations, I'm mean heck when my car is cold if I get in it to hard it will sputter. Mentioned to Dan the tuner at LMS at the track one day, not even sure why or what we where discussing. But he said "yeah I did that." So not damage engine not being fully warmed.

So what we see as bug, may have purposeful use. Not saying all bugs are purposeful. But make your issues purposefully well placed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

TouchOfEvil

Quote from: crash712us on January 02, 2014, 01:02:54 AM
But if your dissatisfied and feel your complaints need to be aired, maybe tuning isn't for you.

So if someone has a problem keep it between them and the tuner only?
I disagree 100% A tune is no different than any performance upgrade and everyone wants details about a mod.
If mod A performs great and nets more power than mod B people want to know.
If sharing an experience with ANY mod is frowned upon then maybe the internet is not for that person.
Regardless of an issue with any product, tunes included people can and should share with others if they wish to do so.
Knowledge is key and if people don't share it the aftermarket world would suffer.
2014 XSport

crash712us

Well maybe point isn't coming across clearly, I don't disagree with you. Was my take upon the many gripes I have read lately and some of them I feel there expectations of there tunes are out of touch. No offense to OP but his gripe is his car hold 3rd @ WOT when cold.
Again no offense to the OP and truly with heart mean that. Maybe he just don't know what he should or shouldn't expect, as I've had fellas over there years on these forums admit to me they don't know how to even change a tire.
And thats ok, and thats what great about modern day tech that you don't have to know anything about working cars to make your car faster.
But we need to have reasonable expectations of how are tunes perform, as ford motor has probably spent 10 of thousands of hours developing the factory tunes for ours cars in all types of climates and conditions. VS a tuner that probably only has a few hundred hours under his belt.
I am not trying to silence anyone, as communication is the answer to everyones issue or desires. And again we all have high expectations as do I as I believe there is plenty more potential in my car in its current configuration. But my take on tuning its not one a one and done deal. Its a on going process, and many factors at play as each car is sorta of unique base location elevation and climate and fuel type availability.
I all was trying to is shed some light on having reasonable expectations, and working with your tuner to resolve issues. As not everyone is effected but some are and they have to figure out what it is and what to do fix. And this usually means dyno time, and track time. To reproduce and figure how to correct.
Its no different then going out and buying the latest version of Windows, to find out it has bugs in it too. And I am sure MS does everything possible they reasonably can with quality control to test, and yet once it hits the masses they all surface.
Heck with assumable 10 of thousands of hours of Fords factory tune isn't without its flaws.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

TouchOfEvil

I understand what you're saying, i took the OP as asking if others had the same issue more than a gripe. Of course reading more into the thread it seems to have turned to that.
There is a cold weather tune though that LMS has released to address some issues, perhaps it also clears up the hanging up in 3rd issue, i'm not certain on that one though.
2014 XSport

FracaSHO

Quote from: DJE624 on January 01, 2014, 06:08:56 PM
Email Brandon at LMS.  blowe@livernoismotorsports.com and ask for the CW-Cold Weather tune.  It is supposed to take care of many of the problems that 13-14 SHO and XSport owners encountered when the weather changed.

Does this 'cold weather tune' apply to 2010 SHO's?  I'm very close to getting a tune from LMS and I live in Chicago, so I'm wondering if this applies to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

crash712us

Quote from: FracaSHO on January 02, 2014, 03:22:31 AM

Email Brandon at LMS.  blowe@livernoismotorsports.com and ask for the CW-Cold Weather tune.  It is supposed to take care of many of the problems that 13-14 SHO and XSport owners encountered when the weather changed.
[/quote

Does this 'cold weather tune' apply to 2010 SHO's?  I'm very close to getting a tune from LMS and I live in Chicago, so I'm wondering if this applies to me.

No, 2013's and newer have different ECM's

SHOdded

If needed, I am sure a CW tune could be developed for 2010-12s, now that they have done one for the '13+.  Nobody's reported a need for it so far (gotta love it :) ).

As far as "issues" & "bugs", no harm in them being aired out in the open as long as the tone is civil.  Yes, it can get incredibly frustrating, but at least as far as our two main tuners are concerned, they make an honest effort to deliver a good product.  Ford obviously delivers good products as well, otherwise we wouldn't even bother tuning them.

The problem is with tuning cars to run at their limits & expecting them to do so stably without optimizing the conditions under which they can do so.  It's like training for the Olympics.  Everything has to be fine-tuned.  Regardless of how consistent the manufacturing is, at the limits, each vehicle has its' own personality.  This is where driver/vehicle bonding comes into play.  By airing out perceived issues/bugs (with civility), it does help everyone understand why things happen.  I think this community has that kind of mindset, so we are naturally more aggressive in our quest for information/resolution.  May not be gearheads, but like to have knowledge just the same :)

Like I said, Ford has done a good job in delivering products with so much potential, tuners have made it easy to add performance, and the customer base asks for more AND does the hard work needed (i.e., time & money) to get ever more innovative products to market.  Kudos to all of you!!!

On a lighter note, don't forget to watch the Jay Leno show on January 9th, 2014.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bigmoneycloser

Wow..
Just want to be clear on my post...
I LOVE my LMS tune! 
Just never had any issues and wanted to see what others thought before I bothered the guys at LMS with a potentially dumb question..
I figured it was a one time deal and unrelated to the cold, but I will call LMS to confirm...

2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

black99lightning

it does appear to be a 13+ issue.  Is it the car's ECM?  Is it the Mycal, which I'd rather have an SCT or Diablo device for datalogging?  Is it due to the recommendation to replace the thermostat to a 170?
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

DJE624

There have been no reports of any trouble with the 10-12 tunes.  I'm still running 4+ in zero degree weather with no problem. 

FracaSHO

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on January 02, 2014, 08:43:21 AM
Wow..
Just want to be clear on my post...
I LOVE my LMS tune! 
Just never had any issues and wanted to see what others thought before I bothered the guys at LMS with a potentially dumb question..
I figured it was a one time deal and unrelated to the cold, but I will call LMS to confirm...

I feel where you are coming from. I personally think it's always best to get advice and help from friends before going the guys that want money.

Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

dmharvey79

Any chance that 'winter gas' might be causing these issues in colder climates?

I've noticed similar things recently with my '13 SHO / 93 stage 4 tune,  a little hesitation under WOT.

Josephm

What is new in the ECM, that changes things so drastically?  I know there was the HP bump in the the stuff we can see, but in the tuning; Did they add more tables, etc?

Sorry to get off track of the OP, and in my take of his 1st post was not a rant but a mere, has anyone else had this issue, and what was your fix?"
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

crash712us

Quote from: Josephm on January 02, 2014, 01:22:27 PM
What is new in the ECM, that changes things so drastically?  I know there was the HP bump in the the stuff we can see, but in the tuning; Did they add more tables, etc?

Sorry to get off track of the OP, and in my take of his 1st post was not a rant but a mere, has anyone else had this issue, and what was your fix?"

The main thing I've been told, is all the code is encrptyed. Plus from also what I've been told from LMS is there is literally thousand of tables, and they put things in places you would never dream of looking.

BMC10SEC50

Guys, I appreciate all the feedback. I certainly wasn't griping about anything, just asking if anyone else was experiencing the same thing I was with this cold ass weather. When my car didn't hold third gear, my engine was warmed up but I'm guessing the trans was not(because the trans obviously takes longer to warm up)because I was only a mile from work and it only ran on the remote start for 10 minutes or so prior to leaving. I spoke with Brandon at LMS earlier and he suggested a colder plug and the CW tune. A friend of mine who also has an SHO has been having the same issues as me switched to the CW tune and unfortunately it hasn't solved anything for him. Hopefully we can figure it out with LMS and take care of it.
-2013 SHO PP with Unleashed 3 bar tune, CAI, plugs, thermostat, off road downpipes and Corsa exhaust. Best time to date is 12.26@112.47mph.
-1990 5.0 LX(original owner) 349 BOSS block, Twisted Wedge heads, Holley intake, Vortech Si trim. Made 636hp to the wheels with a street tune.