• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Error 5A when attempting to flash new tunes

Started by Boosted13, October 08, 2013, 08:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boosted13

Recently purchased a MyCal and tunes from LMS. Did everything as instructed and when I went to flash the EEC, I got a error right away. Says call tech support, which I will do tomorrow, as it was after hours. Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, what was the fix? It appears one or more of the tunes are corrupt?

Guess I just need to be patient and wait until I talk to LMS. When I sent in my strategy code, they said it was a new one. I hope there isn't some sort of compatibility issue.

2013 Flex Limited ECB
Air Raid Cold Air Kit
LMS Tuned

DJE624

Did you hold the ignition button with foot off the brake until the gauges swept?

Boosted13

There was no instruction to do that? I did what the sheet said to do, maybe I messed up?
2013 Flex Limited ECB
Air Raid Cold Air Kit
LMS Tuned

DJE624

Make sure everything in the car is turned off.  Climate, radio, etc.  Open and close the door so the accessories go off.  Press and hold the start button with your foot off the brake and within a few seconds, the gauges will sweep.  Then you should be ready.  Do not touch anything during the load.  It will tell you when to turn it off or on.  When it says turn the car on, hold the button with foot off brake.  At the point you are ready to load the tune, the gauge may not sweep.  In mine, '12, the collision light starts blinking while the tune loads.  The bliss may flash too.

Boosted13

I did that part correctly, as I have other vehicles and have updated SCT tunes before, I know not to touch it until the process is complete.

I just hooked the MyCal up to my laptop and using the TOOLS function, this is the status it gives:

Serial Number: 1560928
       Part Number: 45002
  Hardware Version: P48 - HW2368
  Firmware Version: 386.539.65.11
        CC Version: 2.1B.1
     Last Read VIN: XXXXXXXXX (edited to keep snooping Ford Customer Service reps at bay!)
Programmer Status: Back To Stock
   Available Loads: 0

Programmer Error History (Last 1):
   Error: 5A @ 0x0001

Calibration Info:
   KHDL1A2.H32   Not Supported

Allow Back To Stock: True
----------------------------------------------------------
The thing that worries me is- look at my strategy code and what it says after- "Not Supported"?
2013 Flex Limited ECB
Air Raid Cold Air Kit
LMS Tuned

DJE624

Strange, man.  Sorry, got me stumped.  Maybe one of the other guys will know.  Is that the same strategy code you sent them?

BlueSHO

Like it was said make sure everything is turned off like the radio and hvac.Key on with a push button start is pushing the start engine button twice with your foot OFF the brake pedal. This will make the dash come on and the speedo needle sweep forward and back. Key off is pushing the button again without your foot on the brake then open and closed the door. The dash will go off in a few seconds. You will NOT start the engine anytime during the reflash process. It takes a little getting use to with the push button start but practice makes perfect. You can always run through the key on key off steps without the tuner plugged in. Also check for any dtc's and clear before reflashing. Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

Boosted13

Quote from: DJE624 on October 08, 2013, 09:06:39 PM
Strange, man.  Sorry, got me stumped.  Maybe one of the other guys will know.  Is that the same strategy code you sent them?

Copied from email I sent in to them requesting tunes:

Strategy Code: KHDL1A2.H32
ECU SW PART ID: DA8A-14C204-XB
Device Serial Number: 1560928
2013 Flex Limited ECB
Air Raid Cold Air Kit
LMS Tuned

BlueSHO

Is this a 13 SHO?

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

Boosted13

Quote from: JeffsSport on October 08, 2013, 09:18:26 PM
Is this a 13 SHO?

Nope, Flex.

Jeff or Dave, can you hook your Mycal up to your laptop or PC and run that TOOLS function report and tell me what it says after your strategy code? Just curious. I hope I don't have some goofy new EEC that Ford's somehow locked out of being tuned?? They told me at LMS that mine was a new one they hadn't seen before... Hope we can figure this out.
Also FYI, vehicle started up fine after this and seems to run fine...
2013 Flex Limited ECB
Air Raid Cold Air Kit
LMS Tuned

DJE624

Well,scratch that idea.  I wish I had the error codes descriptions and knew how many different strategies there were.  I would think logically, there shouldn't be that many.  I guess it is possible that your tune files could have the wrong strategy code but it could be something else.  You just might have to wait to talk to them.  Could you try re-updating you mycal from the link they sent you?

BlueSHO

Mine is a 13 Sport with a strategy code KJDE1NA.H32 and ecu DB5A-14C204-ASB. Don't remember seeing anything odd on the mycal.

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

Boosted13

Couple "FYI's"

I am sure I properly connected it, as it showed "NO DTS CODES FOUND" then gave the prompt to enter programming mode. After I pressed "Y" it then gave the "CALL TECH SUPPORT" message and gave instructions to write down the following" and then it gave the error 5A, and also said on the display "One or more tune files corrupt or missing" and then said again "CALL TECH SUPPORT" and then "DISCONNECT DEVICE", which I did, and as stated, the vehicle started right up and runs fine with no indication of trouble.

I think I just need to see what Anthony says and go from there, but I am curious to see the results of one of your TOOLS summaries...

THANK YOU by the way, I appreciate you guys being so prompt to respond and willing to help me out.
2013 Flex Limited ECB
Air Raid Cold Air Kit
LMS Tuned

DJE624

Got the same "Not Supported".  But car is tuned.

Boosted13

Quote from: DJE624 on October 08, 2013, 09:37:55 PM
Got the same "Not Supported".  But car is tuned.

Interesting. I see your firmware version is one digit older, but you have no error history.

Well, just gonna have to talk to LMS and see what transpires. I did try re-running the update but it just says "Your tuner is already up to date" and does not run.

2013 Flex Limited ECB
Air Raid Cold Air Kit
LMS Tuned